Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Best deer season for our family ever, even tho the weather was terrible. Out of 9 hunters only one hasn't got a buck and she opted to pass up some small ones. One oops buck but the other 7 were nice 16-20" 7s and 8s.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen
Hey, Michigan Hunters, anybody killin' anything?

I got a nice little basket 8 point opening morning. When he went down - snapped off his left G2. Kinda ticked about that - couldn't find it.

7-08 Montana shooting 162 A-Max over Reloader. Took out the top of the heart, made goo of everything and the buck died within 100 feet of where I squeezed the trigger.

Saw about 6 other bucks that should be decent in the next couple of years.

Overall - very quiet opening week - not much shooting at all.

Me

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I saw ONE deer, a legal buck (up where I was a buck must have 3 points on one side to be legal) yesterday LITERALLY at the last second… was hiking out of the woods to check out of the hotel. He jumped up and bounded off, upwind so he couldn’t smell us, and I used my deer call to stop him as my hunting partner said “oh theres a doe”. I put my rifle up to look at it’s head but there was thick brush and I had a hard time first finding him, then verifying he had the headgear necessary… as I did I clicked the safety off and just as he turned to walk away I squeezed the trigger and all my rifle did was a faint “click”. The long sit in the freezing cold had gummed up the firing pin and it hit the primer so lightly it didn’t go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!

Obviously I’ll be cleaning out the bolt of that rifle rather thoroughly; it was my Mauser Straight Pull model 1996 in 30-06.

Anyway I had an amazing 5 days of hunting. I shot a coyote on Thursday with my ML and that was cool.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunted near Prescott, weather sucked. Deer didn't seem to be moving much & we didn't bait. I saw one deer total, my brother took a six point. Did not hear as much shooting as usual. Heading to the UP (Munising) tomorrow morning. Don't hold much hope of seeing anything there but roaming the big (empty) woods is cathartic.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Took a doe and 4 1/2 year old 8 point (18" spread, dressed weight 185 lbs) Sunday AM, lots of snow, good hunting in Leelanau County, Friday was the first decent day to hunt, Sunday was the second. Not very many shots heard both days we were out.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 11/20/17.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice buck Jerry that’s awesome man! I was in northern Benzie and Sunday was awesome!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jbmi, Nice buck!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Awesome buck jbmi. Without antler restrictions that animal would have died three years ago.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Hunted firearm opener without a buck tag in my pocket. A single doe tag allowed me to go out and enjoy the opening day tradition. Saw deer all day long in the rain ,one small buck and lots of doe and fawns. It was nice to sit back and know my freezer is full ! Bow season was very good to me this year to say the least. Killed the first legal buck that wondered by (6pt) , then arrowed 2 doe after that. Took it easy till the rut got hot and heavy, which brought me my best buck in 37 years of bow hunting ! A nice clean 8pt with a 20.25" inside spread and just hair shy of 22" outside. Still smiling about that one . grin

Congrats to all that tagged some deer this season.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This season has been a contrast from previous years.
We finally bought our own hunting property in Jackson County, 28 acres fronting on the Grand River.
Since we closed on Nov. 9th there was not much time to scout.
I've seen a giant 10 point once, and am being very careful not to make any mistakes. The big ones will only give you one.
Wrong winds for my woods have kept me in the trailer for at least half of the available hunts.
knowing the big guy is around, I won't be shooting any little bucks, and will probably shoot a doe in late archery season in December.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jbmi
Took a doe and 4 1/2 year old 8 point (18" spread, dressed weight 185 lbs) Sunday AM, lots of snow, good hunting in Leelanau County, Friday was the first decent day to hunt, Sunday was the second. Not very many shots heard both days we were out.
[Linked Image]

Nice buck Jerry!!

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
Hey, Michigan Hunters, anybody killin' anything?

Hunted the UP for two days and did not see any shooters then went home to hunt Wisconsin's opener. Returned and scored.

I had a ladder stand in the same spot as last year which is in an old borrow pit. It is an unlikely place to setup but it is near a fence line between a pasture and hayfield with woods to the north and south. Last year the camp boss (Uncle) kidded me about the lousy location. He said since he has been at camp over 25 years nobody ever set up there. I shot a nice buck there last year now there is a lot of interest by other camp members, but to his credit the camp boss said I have dibs on the location.

Just after daybreak there was shooting to the north on a neighbors land. Soon two large doe and a fawn broke out of the woods and into the open pasture. Then a couple minutes there was movement in the brush filled fence row parallel to the path of the three deer. Up came the binos and I soon spotted horns...a shooter.

There was a chance that a slight SE breeze could carry me scent to him so I took a shot sooner than I would have preferred, He was quartering toward me but stopped and turned almost broadside momentarily. The sight picture was good when I sent a 250-3000 87 gr Speer Hot-Cor at the crease behind the front shoulder.
His back legs kicked out, he jumped the fence into the pasture then zig zaged about 25-30 yards along the fence.

Later I lasered the distance of the shot at 187 yards.

The bullet broke a rib going in, double lunged, broke a rib on the oft side and was found under the hide.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Buck Congrads! still trying to fill a tag. also useing a 250-3000!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I crossed over the bridge yesterday, the deer count was up from 19xx last year to 29xx this year.
I however did not add to the data above or below the bridge.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems the count keeps climbing on CWD finds.
I expect some serious changes to the rules for next year as to extra tags, baiting and testing.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I heard it was up to 30 deer, with 1,000 or more to test! Not a good thing!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This morning local Fox said over 2 dozen, but I am waiting for something from DNR.

Sucks for sure. I did not have to worry about turning in anything this year.

Albert Einstein

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same here for rifle! Bow was good for me, I never saw many fawns this fall tho, alot of does without fawns, not that I saw very many does.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
808 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.