Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This past weekend was the gun opener in Indiana. My oldest wouldn't be going due to other obligations, so his younger brother and I headed to the cabin Friday afterwork. We saw a lot of deer on the way down and 5 right next to the cabin as we pulled in! That got the excitement pegged! After some bisquits and gravy on Saturday morning we headed out to the ground blind to brave the weather and hopefully see some deer. The early morning wakeup was a bit taxing, so Super K decided to catch some Zs before it got day light.
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

High temps, even higher winds, with on and off rain made for the most uneventful opener I’ve ever had. We didn’t see a deer from the blind. We left early that afternoon as some bad thunder, lightening and rain rolled in and passed the time playing some Skipbo. After getting licked in the card game I peeked out during a lull in the rain and spotted two does across the creek in the donkey pasture. Once they got behind some cover we tried to the put the sneak on them. We got within his shooting range, but by that time they’d moved far enough south that a house was in the background, so no shot. We then headed into town to pick up some things and spotted 3 does within 40yds of the ground blind!

On Sunday the weather improved a bunch! Still a bit breezy, but no rain and lower temps. We had two does cross the right of way we were watching, but were soon out of range and out of site in the grass and brush. Thinking I saw some movement above where they went in, I glassed up a buck! He wandered in and out of the grass and brush for quite some time, seemingly ignoring my son’s melodious tones on his grunt call! laugh
[Linked Image]DSCN2306 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr
At one point he hit somewhat of an opening, but Super K could not find him in the scope before he got back into the brush. (Aside: Super K prefers to shoot the single shot 357 Mag rifle with a red dot scope on it. I also had a 243 along with a 6X scope, which he has shot and shot well, but he doesn’t like it as much. More on that later…). After watch him for the better part of an hour he exits stage left.

About 10am I spot a buck at the top of the hill and he looks like a good one. Super K gets back on the grunt call as he’s way too far for him. The buck heads south across the ROW when I have a decision to make; let him go or shoot him. Super K gives me the “go ahead” and I shoot as he’s about 5 steps from leaving the ROW; stopping him. One more drops him. Taken with Super K by my side!

[Linked Image]DSCN2325 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

If hunting with your kids, let them pose with the critters, it makes them look much bigger!
[Linked Image]DSCN2327 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Last edited by pointer; 11/20/17.
GB1

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After getting the deer taken care of we headed out for the evening sit. By this time Super K is running on excitement, PEEPS, trail mix, and Diet Moutain Dew. To say he’s full of energy would be an understatement. Sitting still and being quiet were not wholly in the cards. I think I called him Captain Fidget Pants more than once! Thank goodness for ground blinds. About 4:30 I glass up three does in the ROW out of range. He’s finally able to find them with the binos. They mill about feeding and make it 75yds downhill to our third food plot. Two move into the plot to feed. Super K asks if he can shoot one and I relate than he can, but it’s too far for the 357 and he’d have to use the “big” gun. He mulls it over a second and says, “I can use that gun!”. I swap guns on the rest and get it sorta lined up with the does. He gets behind the gun and takes a few seconds, but says he can see them. I direct him to the one farthest right and tell him to put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. Then the STOP; When you’re ready; STOP routine starts as she feeds around. She hits an opening and stops, “When you’re ready”, then BANG! The two does head right and into the woods; one with its tail up and the other without it up. He’s stoked! I’m pretty sure of a hit, but always downplay it a bit so as to lessen the distance of a ‘fall’ if that ever happens. He wants to go get it right then, but we give it a couple of minutes. About then one doe runs out of the woods from the right and crosses the ROW. laugh I take that as a hint to go check for blood. We find blood and good blood! Follow it into the woods and then I “let him takeover” following the blood… laugh

[Linked Image]DSCN2360 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Perfect double lung shot at 151yds! Such a good weekend with Super K. With two boys it’s hard to always get each of them, especially the younger one, enough one on one time doing stuff like this. I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did, but I'm not sure that's possible.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What a great weekend. That last picture is awesome! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work there. Can't do any better than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he's got the 'grab the bish by the ears' down pat.....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent time spent together!!!!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is so awesome! Congrats all around!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just fantastic. Congrats to all.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Absolutely great write up and pics. My daughter turned 7 in June and I can't wait for the opportunity to put her in a blind with me. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the story and pics! Thank you for posting one of the best ever.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice, congrats!! One of these days he'll turn the tables on you and take pics of you asleep in the blind.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads to the both of you!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice job both of you!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nice, congrats!! One of these days he'll turn the tables on you and take pics of you asleep in the blind.
He had his chances this weekend during a few long "blinks"...

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great story and photos, congrats to you and your son.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff boys !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tyler,
A hearty well done! Probably was even more of a highlight in life after your long trip to MT; I know how boys miss their dad!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pointer
After getting the deer taken care of we headed out for the evening sit. By this time Super K is running on excitement, PEEPS, trail mix, and Diet Moutain Dew. To say he’s full of energy would be an understatement. Sitting still and being quiet were not wholly in the cards. I think I called him Captain Fidget Pants more than once! Thank goodness for ground blinds. About 4:30 I glass up three does in the ROW out of range. He’s finally able to find them with the binos. They mill about feeding and make it 75yds downhill to our third food plot. Two move into the plot to feed. Super K asks if he can shoot one and I relate than he can, but it’s too far for the 357 and he’d have to use the “big” gun. He mulls it over a second and says, “I can use that gun!”. I swap guns on the rest and get it sorta lined up with the does. He gets behind the gun and takes a few seconds, but says he can see them. I direct him to the one farthest right and tell him to put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. Then the STOP; When you’re ready; STOP routine starts as she feeds around. She hits an opening and stops, “When you’re ready”, then BANG! The two does head right and into the woods; one with its tail up and the other without it up. He’s stoked! I’m pretty sure of a hit, but always downplay it a bit so as to lessen the distance of a ‘fall’ if that ever happens. He wants to go get it right then, but we give it a couple of minutes. About then one doe runs out of the woods from the right and crosses the ROW. laugh I take that as a hint to go check for blood. We find blood and good blood! Follow it into the woods and then I “let him takeover” following the blood… laugh

Perfect double lung shot at 151yds! Such a good weekend with Super K. With two boys it’s hard to always get each of them, especially the younger one, enough one on one time doing stuff like this. I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Great stuff pointer, congrats on a great weekend! That last pic says it all. Too bad you couldn't get Hank involved with the recoveries. smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fantastic! Man I love seeing youngsters all grinned up like that.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Originally Posted by pointer

Great stuff pointer, congrats on a great weekend! That last pic says it all. Too bad you couldn't get Hank involved with the recoveries. smile
I was really hoping to for the last one, but time was way S H O R T! I think he'd get it figured out judging by his excitement of being around the dead deer first hand.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.