Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I spoke to a man in my club who's wife died. He had her direct cremated. Her ashes returned in a bag inside a box.

He bought a cremation urn from Walmart, stainless steel. He put her ashes in and used roofing sealant to seal it shut. He dug a hole and poured some concrete in the bottom. He made a wood box from plywood. Inside that box he put in a concrete form tube. He poured concrete between the walls. Then he poured a concrete cap to cover. He draped plastic over the box and set the cap on top. He buried it. Then he bought a small marble marker with her name on it. All this he did in her flower bed next to the house.

He said if he ever moves he will take the marker and urn with him, and do it again wherever he goes. His son's know where it is and should he not leave and die himself they will mix his ashes with hers and dispose of them however they wish. He is currently about 60 years old, his wife died of cancer.

He said he didn't want the urn in his house, didn't want to look at it every day. I can see that.

Is this a bit strange? I can see it, I have no issue with it, but others might see it as strange.

Last edited by Armednfree; 11/22/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every person handles grief in a different way. Seems to him to be the thing to do, so who are we to question?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No, it seems like a perfectly normal way to deal with loss.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not strange to me.

abusus non tollit usum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Different but his business.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Strange is 'sharing' another person's grief on the internet.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
She has been gone for a couple years. This is as anonymous as it gets. Not like I called his name out. I found his story useful, I may do the same if Diana dies. A funeral is not going to happen for either of us.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The part I found strange was Walmart carrying cremains urns.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sounds like a plan to me. Not exactly sure what my wife and I want yet, but probably cremation. I'm considering having the ashes of whichever dies first placed in an urn and stored until the the other dies. Then leave instructions for my kids to use the money saved from a funeral for a road trip to scatter our ashes in several places where we have been.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Walmart carries every thing. It would not surprise me if these con man funeral directors buy from Walmart the jack the price up 1000%.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Urnsdirect2U-Middleton-Royal-Red-Adult-Cremation-Urn-220-Cu-In/48810572

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a retired funeral director. Walmart is carrying cheaply made Chinese urns. Not to say some funeral homes don't carry those also, but I know where I worked carried high quality urns...and they were high priced too, Marked up double back then, but the same thing is done in virtually every industry with many products.

I saw ashes turned into synthetic diamonds, made into glass paperweights and jewelry, flushed down a toilet, and loaded as buffer into shotgun shells. To each his own.

I know a guy who digs up about half dozen dogs every time he moves...and he's moved a lot!

The dead are honored and grieved over less and less. Not lamenting, just pointing out where our culture is headed. Not many give a **** about parents or grandparents anymore in today's nuclear families. Put on your seat belts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One of the stone carvers who spent 30 years on the National Cathadral wanted to bury his wife there.

She wasn’t important enough.

He mixed her ashes in the mortar and put her in one of the highest towers.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I spoke to a man in my club who's wife died. He had her direct cremated. Her ashes returned in a bag inside a box.

He bought a cremation urn from Walmart, stainless steel. He put her ashes in and used roofing sealant to seal it shut. He dug a hole and poured some concrete in the bottom. He made a wood box from plywood. Inside that box he put in a concrete form tube. He poured concrete between the walls. Then he poured a concrete cap to cover. He draped plastic over the box and set the cap on top. He buried it. Then he bought a small marble marker with her name on it. All this he did in her flower bed next to the house.

He said if he ever moves he will take the marker and urn with him, and do it again wherever he goes. His son's know where it is and should he not leave and die himself they will mix his ashes with hers and dispose of them however they wish. He is currently about 60 years old, his wife died of cancer.

He said he didn't want the urn in his house, didn't want to look at it every day. I can see that.

Is this a bit strange? I can see it, I have no issue with it, but others might see it as strange.

Seems reasonable to me.

Built her a nice solid shelter with his own hands is a place she enjoyed.

Didn't break the bank.

Wanted to keep her close, but not too close.

And even if I didn't consider his actions reasonable, so long as he's not creating a public health hazard, I would see no reason to substitute my judgement for his.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/22/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think I might do that in case mine came back to life grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree
She has been gone for a couple years. This is as anonymous as it gets. Not like I called his name out. I found his story useful, I may do the same if Diana dies. A funeral is not going to happen for either of us.
A funeral is to help those left behind to deal with the loss. They need it for closure and you're depriving them of it. Do it for them.

My 1st wife died of cancer when I was 58. She was also cremated and my potter nephew made an urn. There's a small cemetery about 140 miles from here where many of my relatives are buried. Our family owns a block of plots and we can bury up to 4 urns per plot. We buried the urn there with a headstone. There's no need for a vault or to cover the urn. Pottery will last for centuries. She was a Christian so she's not there anyway. Ashes are just ashes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very touching. The man has a huge heart and it would be an honor to know him.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Big Lebowski coffee can urns work well...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds just fine to me.

I've requested that when the time comes my family is to wrap my body in canvas and toss me out of an airplane at 30k feet over the Bob Marshall or remote CO. Rockies so as to impact at terminal velocity, returning my misspent matter back to earth. The kids think the idea is kinda cool but the wife scoffs, muttering something about legal concerns.

I'll probably end up torched and in a box on a closet shelf.

Last edited by SBTCO; 11/22/17.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
20 years ago, my SIL's husband died young. I never knew him but I've heard that he was a real SOB. They lived in Anchorage and he wanted his ashes tossed to the wind from the top of Flattop Mtn just outside of Anchorage. She climbed up there and gave them a toss but a tricky wind blew them all right back in her face and hair. She went home and showered and a good bit of him went down the drain.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I saw ashes turned into synthetic diamonds, made into glass paperweights and jewelry, flushed down a toilet, and loaded as buffer into shotgun shells. To each his own.

I knew a girl that was widowed at a very young age. Her husband was quite a bit older, and a biker type scumbag.

He got killed in a bike wreck of course... She told me that they had a big party and mixed his ashes into a large doobie, and everyone got high smoking him and the marijuana... She said there were probably enough drungs in his ashes that everyone would have gotten high even if they left the pot out. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 219DW, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.