24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My mom had a custom urn carved of wood that's a likeness of my dad casting a flyrod.

She keeps it on the fireplace mantle. Once a year, during the hatch, she take him down to the "Holy Waters" of the Au Sable.

Do I think it's weird, yeah, kinda.'

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not as bad as Keith Richards, he snorted his Dad's ashes...true

"The truth of the matter is that after having Dad’s ashes in a black box for six years, because I really couldn’t bring myself to scatter him to the winds, I finally planted a sturdy English oak to spread him around.

‘And as I took the lid off of the box, a fine spray of his ashes blew out on to the table. I couldn’t just brush him off so I wiped my finger over it and snorted the residue.

‘Ashes to ashes, father to son. He is now growing oak trees and would love me for it."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I spoke to a man in my club who's wife died. He had her direct cremated. Her ashes returned in a bag inside a box.

He bought a cremation urn from Walmart, stainless steel. He put her ashes in and used roofing sealant to seal it shut. He dug a hole and poured some concrete in the bottom. He made a wood box from plywood. Inside that box he put in a concrete form tube. He poured concrete between the walls. Then he poured a concrete cap to cover. He draped plastic over the box and set the cap on top. He buried it. Then he bought a small marble marker with her name on it. All this he did in her flower bed next to the house.

He said if he ever moves he will take the marker and urn with him, and do it again wherever he goes. His son's know where it is and should he not leave and die himself they will mix his ashes with hers and dispose of them however they wish. He is currently about 60 years old, his wife died of cancer.

He said he didn't want the urn in his house, didn't want to look at it every day. I can see that.

Is this a bit strange? I can see it, I have no issue with it, but others might see it as strange.

not strange to me at all. I have had remains for quite a few years. I know one person that has an urn sitting on a shelf above the bed.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doesn't seem strange to me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I know the location of quite a few cremation burial sites along the Au Sable...found a few just poking around or mushroom hunting.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by skeen
My mom had a custom urn carved of wood that's a likeness of my dad casting a flyrod.

She keeps it on the fireplace mantle. Once a year, during the hatch, she take him down to the "Holy Waters" of the Au Sable.

Do I think it's weird, yeah, kinda.'

God bless your momma....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing weird at all. Funerals are for the living.
My mom and stepdad were cremated, and they wanted to be scattered big time. No funeral, just a gathering where the ashes were parceled out to those who wanted some. Some in Dakota, some in Arizona, some here in Montana, some in the Pacific and some in Idaho. I'm working on it.

I'd like to be dumped off an overpass into a gondola of steam coal....that way I'll eventually see the whole world.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Armednfree
A funeral is not going to happen for either of us.

Lining a funeral home's pockets is not my idea of grieving. If I outlive my wife I will grieve privately. Don't need people patting me on the back.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Nothing weird at all. Funerals are for the living.
My mom and stepdad were cremated, and they wanted to be scattered big time. No funeral, just a gathering where the ashes were parceled out to those who wanted some. Some in Dakota, some in Arizona, some here in Montana, some in the Pacific and some in Idaho. I'm working on it.

I'd like to be dumped off an overpass into a gondola of steam coal....that way I'll eventually see the whole world.

My best friends wife did something similar. He was cremated, and she divided his ashes into 4 containers and gave them to friends/family. I thought it was horrible to split up the remains, but there's old Jim up on my book shelf. 1/4 of him anyway.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got an elk wallow picked out for my ashes, seems like the best kind of container. Hopefully one of my friends who remembers where it is will be able to climb up there and throw me in.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother passed last winter. We kept some of his ashes and took them out to the CRP and dropped them at the base of some of the wildflowers on our farm. The rest are at our families cemetery next to his wife.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I told my wife, and she agreed, if you want a memorial wait 6 months. The lite the grills up and throw a party. Be happy, enjoy, we are with the Lord.

Now my sister in law says she would like Diana to have a funeral. Well, in the first place my wife comes from a dysfunctional family. When her mother died they fought over the estate. My wife was the sole beneficiary of the estate, but she allowed them to take whatever they wanted. And they fought over that. Two brothers have not spoken to each other over a damned washing machine 18 years ago.

We have been married for 12 years and not a single visit from anyone in Diana's family. We have gone there a few times, but that's it. She does talk to her sister a lot on the phone though.

My family isn't mush better.

So [bleep] their closure, I ain't paying for that chit. They want that, they better be on hand with a check. I don't need it, niether does my step son. In fact I'm going to do exactly what this guy did. It sounds perfect right now.

Last edited by Armednfree; 11/22/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Big Lebowski coffee can urns work well...

But watch the wind...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep whatever floats yur boat.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My buddy told me he'd informed his wife to have him cremated.....put the ashes in her douche bag and run him through one more time!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walmart carries urns? Wow..... the perfect halloween candy dish for the kids. Wonder what section of the store they are in? I can't get my head around that part.

Grocery? Sporting good? gardening? hardware? what is the appropriate store section for Urns and coffins? Is there a back room section at walmart regular folks don't know about?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Walmart carries urns? Wow..... the perfect halloween candy dish for the kids. Wonder what section of the store they are in? I can't get my head around that part.

Grocery? Sporting good? gardening? hardware? what is the appropriate store section for Urns and coffins? Is there a back room section at walmart regular folks don't know about?

Probably easiest to buy online.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=urns%20for%20cremation%20ashes&typeahead=urn

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ANF, tell your sister in law to stick it up her can sideways. Not her call.

I just got done with the estate for my parents and a funeral would have been wasted onmy stepsibling's feelings.

For example, my stepdad had a sextant he'd been issued in June 1944 to navigate the Lindenwald, Anzio and even the Essex in the Pacific. When we "gathered," none of the other kids (all steps) remembered what was in its case, and had me open it. Then of course, they got all excited. I wanted to ship it to USMMA to be given to the best student in navigation class. THEY wanted to sell the effer on E-bay! Wouldn't let me have it, of course.
Then, they were going through the passports, right, all the way from his first mariner's passport issued in 1940 that got him through the war. I go down later on, and there they are, all of them, in the trash. So, I took the mariner's passport, and one last time, opened the sextant case, placed it inside, locked the case one last time, and cried.

My stepbrother (and unfortunately, co-executor) followed me to "supervise" and just stood there watching. No class at all.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Curiosity got the best of me, and I looked. You will find them under Home->Funeral->Cremation Urns

It is worth noting that if cremation isn't your thing you can also get caskets through Wal-Mart

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Outdoors.
and on sale

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
151 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.