Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Depends.

What kind of roofing sealant was used on that urn?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I plan on being scattered out at the deer lease, wifey wants to be scattered at a beach.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
My wife was the sole beneficiary of the estate,...
..... Two brothers have not spoken to each other over a damned washing machine 18 years ago.

I was made sole beneficiary of a substantial estate, but told them to get me off that, the trouble I had
with being only part beneficiary & executor of a previous estate was unpleasant enough.

but we didn't argue over the washing machine, he just took it without asking and I didn't raise
the petty matter.

my attorney said I should be grateful for the problems I had, for some of the other family estate conflicts
they have been required to handle, made mine pale into relative insignificance.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Walmart carries urns? Wow..... the perfect halloween candy dish for the kids. Wonder what section of the store they are in? I can't get my head around that part.

Grocery? Sporting good? gardening? hardware? what is the appropriate store section for Urns and coffins? Is there a back room section at walmart regular folks don't know about?
check home improvement

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I dated a girl once who kept a flannel shirt laying across her bed after it was made. I didnt think anything of it, but she finally told me that it had belonged to her father who had passed a couple of years before I met her. She told me that it still had the fragrance of his cologne and it comforted it her in a way. She asked me if it was strange, and I told her no not at all.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My stepdad is in a brown plastic box, inside a green fleece bag. It rides In the back of the Truck his estate bought for me. He go's on every fishing or hunting trip the truck is used for.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Doesn't seem at all strange to me. I want to be set out in the woods where i use to hunt and let the coyotes have a good meal. I have been told that is weird.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I've got an elk wallow picked out for my ashes, seems like the best kind of container. Hopefully one of my friends who remembers where it is will be able to climb up there and throw me in.

Now that's a great idea, every rut, you'll be chasing cows, riding along on the bulls.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
People buried their dead in the "family plot" out back of the farmhouse for many years. Really seem to have stopped only a few decades ago. Other than his desire to exhume and take it with him when he moves, I really don't see how this is much different.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
People buried their dead in the "family plot" out back of the farmhouse for many years. Really seem to have stopped only a few decades ago. Other than his desire to exhume and take it with him when he moves, I really don't see how this is much different.

I'm going to do the exact same thing he did when my wife dies, in the exact same way.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Had some family friends do that with a baby that died....
When the wife died, the husband did the same thing with her...

Funny thing, was the wife was an alcoholic, and died from cirrhosis.
But she had a Pug dog, and when he died, she had him stuffed,
in a position like he was begging...

then she, he was put in a glass display case...
and was put in a concrete box, with a removable lid...
she use to pull him out when she was drinking...
She wanted her ashes buried with the glass display case of her Pug...

We never questioned it, but it didn't have to be said, that it was weird....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
People buried their dead in the "family plot" out back of the farmhouse for many years. Really seem to have stopped only a few decades ago. t.

We still see some of those little family cemeteries out in the Western states when you get away from the cities out into the ranch and farm country. A few of them out on the reservation too. Still in active use too.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know some people down the road a few miles. They bought an old farm house with 2 graves in the middle of the back yard. The wood markers are there but the writing has long since weathered off and no one knows who they are.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have a cemetary in my yard. a guy and his family all died in aug 1855. i've met his descendants. i have my shooting bench set up right beside old isaacs head stone.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have a cemetary in my yard. a guy and his family all died in aug 1855. i've met his descendants. i have my shooting bench set up right beside old isaacs head stone.

I imagine old Isaac would appreciate that. Hell, he might even spot for you if he was still kicking.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Someone told me Colorado allows private cemetaries if you have a certain number of acres. I didn't find anything in a quick search. I am pretty sure cities will not allow. A bunch of rules about scattering ashes. What we did was simply go, say a prayer, and spread my brothers.

There is a meadow where we hunt elk that brings memories of a companion that is there now.

At times I think we should go back to wakes, digging our own graves, posting a wreath for a time. There can be too much ritual, but now too many people try to ignore things too much.

One thing; make your wishes known while you can. I do not want a lot of money wasted on me, use it to better the living. My ashes can be kept on a shelf or whatever, but I would prefer they be spread in a favotite hunting spot, or some place pleasant memories for trhe family

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad proly won't make it five more years.
Blew a chunk on a future funeral.
Not religious, doesn't handle death well.
Maybe being stupid with his cash somehow makes the passage easier?
I dunno, don't care either.............it's his money.

Freakin foreigners are strange LOL.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My grandma (mom's side)............had a funeral.
People came from some distance.
Lots of people.
Good Christian woman she was.
The funeral was quite respectful.
Considering the guest of honor, it was proper.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cremation makes a lot of people squeamish. Personally, I think it's the best way and it leaves the family a lot more money. When my wife died 11 years ago, cremation cost $1300. The cheapest steel casket I saw was over $2000. I saw wood ones cheaper but with those, most cemeteries require a vault. The reason is that wood caskets will eventually collapse leaving them with a large divot to fill in. Steel or vaults won't collapse.
Then, with cremation, you don't have to hire a hearse. Just pick up the ashes from the crematorium and do what you want with them. I have a nephew who's a potter and he made us a very nice urn. You can have a complete DIY funeral. That's what we did. It cost virtually nothing which is what my wife wanted. There's a small cemetery near Boise on land that was homesteaded by my great grandfather. He sold a couple acres to the county for a cemetery over 100 years ago. Most of my relatives on Mom's side are buried there. If you bury an urn, you can dig your own hole as it only has to be the size of a 5 gal bucket. We did get a nice headstone which is in a row with my father and brother.

funny side note: This cemetery allows up to 4 urns in a single plot so you can almost have a mass grave if you want to keep everyone together. My dad died 10 months before my wife who had terminal cancer at the time. We were at the cemetery for Dad's burial and knew that in due time my wife would be in the next plot. We'd buried Dad's urn and were standing there talking. My wife, who kept up a pretty good humor about it all, looked at her plot and said "You're young enough that you'll probably remarry. There's room for 3 in there."

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
speaking of family plots, if anyone has ever traveled down through eastern NC on the way to the outer banks, it looks like every other yard has a cemetery in the back.

my parents ashes are buried at my camp. we had a couple of nice rocks engraved for headstones and put their urns in a water proof splice case about a foot under ground. i rebuilt an old bench my dad made and put it over there and have cultivated the rhododendron around it to be a nice little sitting area. my boys and i do a full honor guard flag ceremony there every memorial day since my dad was a WW2 vet. thats where i'll end up one of these days.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.