Print Thread
Hop To
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a classic barreled action in an ew stock. Bedded by redneck. Shoots great. Don’t love the ergos of the Stock but it’s stable and accurate so I️ want to keep it for now. Main gripe is the slick feel of Stock. What can be done to give the Stock a rougher feel so it doesn’t slip from my grip under recoil?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would have it repainted with a granite type flecked finish. Krylon and Rustolium make these. It can be durable if clear coated with a hard lacquer or epoxy. Another option is to spray clear coat or paint on and while still wet judiciously add an abrasive like fine sifted sugar sand, micro balloons or similar. Might want to lightly sand off some on the cheek piece with a 3m abrasive cloth. Then clear coat and see if that kills the grip too much. I have also seen bondo added to the grip and fore end and then stippled and painted as above. Yet another option is to coat the rifle with Rhino hide or similar truck bed spray/roll on liner paaint. This stuff is really durable and makes for the ultimate "truck gun" finish. You can even do your truck at the same time.

There are other ways I'm sure but one of these should work for you.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tejano
Another option is to spray clear coat or paint on and while still wet judiciously add an abrasive like fine sifted sugar sand, micro balloons or similar. Might want to lightly sand off some on the cheek piece with a 3m abrasive cloth.

I've done this on other stocks. Works like a champ. Keep it off of the cheekpiece, though...

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get a spray can of "traction grit spray" from the hardware store in either clear or black. It is an epoxy paint with very fine smooth particles.

Spray a bunch on the grip spots and nowhere else. Run it hard until it wears off a little, then spray it again a couple of years from now.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McMillan Edge

Dave

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I do what Tejano said only I use Agraglas Spray as a final finish; the stuff is really rock hard and tough provides for a "knobby" finish as compared to the rough sandpaper feel of the 'granite' finish paints out there.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.