Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I would appreciate comments from those who have tried this bullet in ARs.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
what is your intended purpose for this bullet?

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Nothing more than curiosity at this point; was wondering about accuracy. I've tried many bullets in 1 in 7" Colts, and the Nosler looked like an interesting one.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Way more accurate than you'd think, considering they're so blunt.

Last edited by KMS; 11/22/17.

Kelly
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Accuracy wise, best anyone been able to manage is about an inch at 100 with IMR-4895.
To date, I've head of no reports of similar accuracy with a ball or other nice metering powder.

If someone has a sub-inch load with a fine powder and these bullets, I'd sure like to hear about it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
25 grains of Varget for us here.

It's a deer-killing machine.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Accuracy wise, best anyone been able to manage is about an inch at 100 with IMR-4895.
To date, I've head of no reports of similar accuracy with a ball or other nice metering powder.

If someone has a sub-inch load with a fine powder and these bullets, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Yep. I'm getting about the same accuracy with 24.5gr of Varget. 10 shots at 100yds.

Kelly
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KMS

Yep. I'm getting about the same accuracy with 24.5gr of Varget. 10 shots at 100yds.

My results were with 5 shot groups. If your doing the same with 10, I'll have to try some Varget.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I appreciate the input on this so far. It may be a while before I have the opportunity to try the 64 Bonded in an AR, but I have loaded a few test rounds for bolt-action rifles in .223 and .22-250. Hope to try these next week.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS

My results were with 5 shot groups. If your doing the same with 10, I'll have to try some Varget.

Let me also add that this is out of a 20" varmint barrel, 1:8 twist.

Kelly
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
well, I may have to try some of these at half the price of TSX bullets. I have killed several animals with the 75 grain swift bullet but in no case not even a little 120 pound buck did I get an exit from the shoulder shot. The swift is not that accurate in my guns and more expensive.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a 200lb boar with this bullet in Noslers factory load. Distance was around 300 yards. First shot broke the onside shoulder and exited midway back in the rib cage. The hog swapped sides while lifting the broken leg. The 2nd shot broke the other shoulder and exited, crisscrossing the bullets wounds. The boar dropped on impact of the second hit. Accuracy was right at 1 moa at 100 yards.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Kills cshit out of 200 lb pigs

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We recovered one out of a shoulder shot on a 300 pound live-weight huge buck. Broke both shoulders and lay under the skin.

Other than that, all exits on a variety of angles.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
Kills cshit out of 200 lb pigs

This...

Silver State Armory (a Nosler company) loaded that bullet for a while in .223. It was the most accurate factory load I've ever shot in my three .223's.

I have used a bunch of them over 25.5gr Varget, loaded to 2.250" with CCI 400 primers. Very accurate and kills whitetails and hogs right now.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I have to try some, they are at $45 per 100 somewhat cheaper than the 62grain TSX. Wish federal would sell their 62 gr fusion bullet as a component, if they do I have not seen it, that is a very good bullet as well, but cartridges cost's me a dolla a shot . I got plenty over varget, so I guess I need to order some noslers crazy.

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Not the final word on accuracy, but a beginning...

fired a few groups to get seating depth right with a CZ .223 and a heavy-barreled Savage .22-250, both with 1 in 9" barrels. Two five-shot groups from the CZ were 1.4" and .9" using Varget, not my favorite .223 powder. Bullet must be seated quite deeply for this rifle, best OAL is 2.18".

In the .22-250, four 3-shot groups averaged just under 3/4" using IMR4064. OAL of 2.35" is good. I think I can improve on the groups sizes with a little work. Have yet to try this bullet in a Colt AR 1 in 7".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...................that's not a target or match grade bullet; what you have is good for that bullet's intended performance.

If you want match grade accuracy, get Bergers, SMK's or Hornady's match grade bullets.

MM

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by lotech
I would appreciate comments from those who have tried this bullet in ARs.

The 64 gr Nosler loaded with a max charge of CFE-223 along with the 55 gr TSX loaded with the same powder as well as the factory loaded Federal XM556FBIT3 62 grain load hit in the same snuff can sized groups at 50 yards with an Eotech sight.

Haven't hit meat yet with the Noslers.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I used to get tied up in all that too. Ball powder and such. No flaws on that either. Found that as ugly as varget metered on 69s, it just didn't matter much on the paper if it was thrown or weighed.

Of course Audette load development gets you to that point too. Just FWIW.

I don't think a nosler like that could be bad performing. But with Barnes, I just have not seen the need.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My daughter shot lengthwise through a white tail with one, taking out a lot of bone on the way. On hogs, they make a .22 caliber penetrate and perform like something larger. I would feel comfortable taking a cow elk with one if legal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
...Wish federal would sell their 62 gr fusion bullet as a component, if they do I have not seen it, that is a very good bullet as well, but cartridges cost's me a dolla a shot ...

Jimmy,

How about 1,000 for $135.00 and free shipping? Rocky Mountain Reloading LINK

I have another 1,000 of them on my reloading bench that I haven't even opened yet. blush

Great folks to deal with! Jake and crew have seen a lot of my money over the past couple of years. grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 12/03/17. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have to join this site just to look?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tag

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ed they say 62 grain premium bonded bullet? I am going to give them a call and buy a few.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I trust Ed's word on the performance of those.

Have it on the list to buy a 1000 at some point to load up for just plain cheap reserve ammo.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Ed they say 62 grain premium bonded bullet? I am going to give them a call and buy a few.

Jimmy,

I visited RMR's facility in Lewiston back in June and saw the pallets of case after case of these bullets. All the boxes were marked Federal Fusion. Tough not to empty a bank account when you're standing in a warehouse full of bullets and brass at below wholesale prices. eek grin

25.5gr of Varget with CCI BR-4 primers in Hornady, Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, or Remington brass and this bullet is a very accurate load in all three of my .223's. All have 1:8" twist with Wylde chambers, and one AR has a BHW polygonal rifled barrel.

BTW, I have yet to recover a bullet from any of the deer or hogs I've killed with it. Of course, I'm not trying to shoot end-to-end, either.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed, is the jacket on these bullets extended far enough forward so that the lead point is protected enough that they will feed well in an AR w/o damaging the tip?

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Ed, is the jacket on these bullets extended far enough forward so that the lead point is protected enough that they will feed well in an AR w/o damaging the tip?

MM

Yes, on both the Federal Fusion and the Noslers. The Federal fusions have a very small (tiny?) lead meplat while the Nosler is very definitely a small flat point.
You really can't see the lead from the side on the Federal and just a little bit on the Nosler.

I have probably shot 500-600 of the Federals and have not had a single issue with accuracy. The rounds that I have downloaded after hunting show no signs of tip damage.

According to literature I've found on these 62gr Fusions, they are the bullet of choice for a lot of LE snipers as they do a great job of penetrating light barriers, particularly auto windshields, continuing on a straight path, and yet still expand. The LE application is why they have a cannelure.

Sort of like shooting through a mud covered gristle shield on a boar, breaking rib(s), then trashing the lungs and leaving the carcass. Or, breaking both bones on a ~175lb boar's foreleg, then passing through the skull from under the jaw and out the top of it's head, leaving a quarter size exit hole. That was a coup de gras shot after I had spined it and it flopped over on it's side, belly towards me.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.............that's the info I was looking for.

MM

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I went to Cabelas Saturday looking for some bullets. Just wanted to look local before I tried some of those Noslers. They only had the 62 gr. TSX, which I just haven't found a very accurate load with.

Now I have some of these Fusion bullets on the way, really appreciate the heads up APDDNS. Will be shooting them from a 1 in 8" wylde too so hope that recipe gets me close. Bow season is over for me, hope to try these on a late season doe tag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will the Federal Fusion open up quick enough to drop a yote quickly?

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PPosey
Why would you want to when there are so many great & much cheaper yote bullets?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC

I prefer a all around bullet, if one will perform well on yotes and up I am happy, the 65 grain sierra BTSP has done well to this point,

Location Western NC,
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

In my experience, yes. It's all about placement. You certainly aren't going to get big exit holes, but every one of the coyotes I've shot with them have gone down pretty quickly.

I killed a coyote here at ~150 yards, through the body behind the shoulder and, at the shot, the coyote dropped, got back to it's feet, spun around a couple of times and fell over dead. Another one I shot though the body just keeled over and didn't move. Same with the bobcat I shot with them.

I was shooting that Sierra 65gr SP before I got these and the effects were roughly the same. This one is a little more accurate in all three of my rifles, but not by much.

Ed

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've had very good luck accuracy-wise with the 65 Gameking in two 1 in 7" Colt ARs with H4895 powder. Several times I've done comparisons with the 69 MatchKing trying to decide which is most accurate. At 100 and 200 yards I can see no difference. Beyond 200, I suspect the MatchKing would do better.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had very good luck accuracy-wise with the 65 Gameking in two 1 in 7" Colt ARs with H4895 powder. Several times I've done comparisons with the 69 MatchKing trying to decide which is most accurate. At 100 and 200 yards I can see no difference. Beyond 200, I suspect the MatchKing would do better.

That is a good bullet in my custom Mini-14.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Think I'm gonna try a few of those 62 gr. Federals.

Thanks, Ed.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I loaded some 64 BSB up with TAC and at 25 gr. got 2975 fps and two 5 shot groups were 3/8 and 5/8 in. This was in a 24" Heavy barreled DPMS. This load also shot 1" out of a 16" barreled m4 version dpms. I have not used it on anything but paper.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TJAY
I loaded some 64 BSB up with TAC and at 25 gr. got 2975 fps and two 5 shot groups were 3/8 and 5/8 in. This was in a 24" Heavy barreled DPMS. This load also shot 1" out of a 16" barreled m4 version dpms. I have not used it on anything but paper.

I was at a friends ranch when I worked up the load mentioned above. When I got to the 25.5gr load and we looked at the group, my friend said "Quit now. You have your load." grin

My group was much like yours.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 12/05/17.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've had problems getting the 64 BSB to group in .223, .22-204 and .22-250.

SPS recently offered blem factory .22-250, 64 BSB ammo. I ordered a box just to see how Nosler factory BSB ammo shoots. I see they're now sold out of that item.

My .22-250 has an 8 twist Shilen barrel.

Terminal performance is reportedly great with that bullet.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

In my experience, yes. It's all about placement. You certainly aren't going to get big exit holes, but every one of the coyotes I've shot with them have gone down pretty quickly.

I killed a coyote here at ~150 yards, through the body behind the shoulder and, at the shot, the coyote dropped, got back to it's feet, spun around a couple of times and fell over dead. Another one I shot though the body just keeled over and didn't move. Same with the bobcat I shot with them.

I was shooting that Sierra 65gr SP before I got these and the effects were roughly the same. This one is a little more accurate in all three of my rifles, but not by much.

Ed

Thanks that sounds good and about what I expected, The Sierra 65 BTSP will probably stay my go to bullet in my bolt action at least till I use them up then I may try the Fusion, ordered 1000 Fusions for the ARs,, I have alot of everything but bullets for them.

Last edited by PPosey; 12/05/17.

Location Western NC,
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Used to be able to buy Sierra 60 flat base HP. Extremely accurate in our ARs to 200 no problems. Never shot much with it other than a few javelina and a coyote. Fairly decent HP

Still tend to prefer barnes for do it all situations, but have had good luck with lots of bullets in the AR as long as we are talking heavier bullets... 55s I've never shot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jeff,

If the Fusions had not come along, I would have been using the SGK 65gr SP or the Barnes 62gr TSX.

My Rock River AR really likes those 62gr TXS loaded up to 5.56 pressures with the max load of TAC.

Ed

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Went to BassPro last night to pickup some Varget to try with these bullets.

They wanted $40.00 per pound, so I told them to GFY.

I guess the new test loads will have to wait until I make it to Sportsman's.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

OUCH! Do you have any CFE-223? If so, try 25.5gr of it. My RRA AR likes the Barnes 62gr TSX with this load for a little over 3,000fps. Max load for the 62gr TSX is 27.0gr of CFE-223.

Ed

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

OUCH! Do you have any CFE-223? If so, try 25.5gr of it. My RRA AR likes the Barnes 62gr TSX with this load for a little over 3,000fps. Max load for the 62gr TSX is 27.0gr of CFE-223.

Ed

Ed,

I've tried a long list of powder with them. CFE-223, IMR-8208, H335, Benchmark, Tac, LT-32, H-322, W748, and N133, and IMR-4895.

So far, only thing that shot close to an inch was IMR-4895. Considering the similarities between 4895 and Varget, I thought it might be worth trying.

However, I do have some 69gr NCC begging to have some CFE-223 lit behind them. Might be fun to see how that works out?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd try a new barrel before I tried a new powder!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Nosler 64gr BSB is probably the best bonded 0-200 yard bullet you can get. There's not an animal in NA that I wouldn't shoot with them.

Yes. I have killed to just shy of 400 with the 62gr Fusions from a 10.5" barrel. One of the best multi purpose bullets available.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Barry,

The barrel shoots great with other bullets. Actually it shoots great with most bullets.

It just doesn't like the combinations I've tried with this one bullet.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Barry, The barrel shoots great with other bullets. Actually it shoots great with most bullets. It just doesn't like the combinations I've tried with this one bullet.

Interesting thing, I was in a LGS today, looking for some more .308 168gr TTSX and got to talking with one of the guys who works there. He has the exact same issue with one of his five .223 rifles. Nothing but 4895 will get him anywhere near 1 MOA in that particular rifle with anything over 50gr bullets.

(He tried really hard to sell me one of three brand new Browning .223's on the rack that they can't get rid of, even at their cost because they all have 1:2" twist barrels. No one around here wants a .223 that won't shoot 60gr+ bullets).

Ed

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The 62 Barnes TTSX is the best AR bullet I’ve used as far as accuracy goes.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thinking about buying a 1-6 or 1-8 for one of my AR's and shooting a pig with the 64 gr Nosler Bonded, the only Barnes' I have loaded are 55 gr TSX's, bet they'd work too, but, also bet the Nosler would have a heavier splat penetrating punch than the buzzsaw Barnes.

Trump Won!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We've killed a few with 50 and 55 gr NBT's in AR's, I'm not sure why people think they need a magical bullet.

That said I've also used Barnes TSX in 55 and 62 grs and they do work fine. This 64 gr bonded bullet will work too I'm pretty sure.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No majik needed here, just need to know the penetration will be there on odd angle shots, I still hunt thickets at times and often fire into ham or last rib hits on my way to the vitals, and have never used a cartridge as small as a 223 on a regular basis.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thinking about buying a 1-6 or 1-8 for one of my AR's and shooting a pig with the 64 gr Nosler Bonded, the only Barnes' I have loaded are 55 gr TSX's, bet they'd work too, but, also bet the Nosler would have a heavier splat penetrating punch than the buzzsaw Barnes.

1x7 or 1x8. I don't think you want a 6, they are specialized, though my 6.5s shoot 52s just fine amazingly...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
We've killed a few with 50 and 55 gr NBT's in AR's, I'm not sure why people think they need a magical bullet.

That said I've also used Barnes TSX in 55 and 62 grs and they do work fine. This 64 gr bonded bullet will work too I'm pretty sure.

50 and 55 NBTs I wouldn't trust for penetration in some shots on some animals. That said if you konw your bullet and how to place it all will be fine. Its how I kill most hogs with subs in a 22 lr with a can... where most folks think you can't kill a pig without a big gun. Heck even the ones over 200 and over 250 every now and then still die...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by gunner500

1x7 or 1x8. I don't think you want a 6, they are specialized, though my 6.5s shoot 52s just fine amazingly...

OOPS, should have been a little clearer Rost, I meant rifle scopes in 1-6X or 1-8X. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
oh chit... ROTFLMAO... I totally missed that one! Merry Christmas!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do the 62 RMR Fusion bullets stabilize okay in a 12 twist?

I've not had any trouble with the Nosler BSB in that gun.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have no idea if they will stabilize in a 1:12" twist. Both of those bullets work great in 1:8" twist.

PM me an address and I'll drop some in the mail and you can try them out before ordering.

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495
oh chit... ROTFLMAO... I totally missed that one! Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to You and Yours as well Rost. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
25 grains of Varget for us here.

It's a deer-killing machine.

This. My daughter used this load with authority on a juvenile deer hunt some years back. Bullet exited with meat on the table.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.