Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Happy Thanksgiving to Mr & Mrs Mule Deer and all here on the Fire.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have learned a lot from this forum, especially from John and like everyone else I am thankful for his contributions. What I want to know, MD, is did you eat wild or domestic game on Thanksgiving Day?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have wild game for Thanskgiving quite often, but this year we cooked a domestic turkey, since due to unfortunate circumstances we didn't get to go turkey hunting this spring, and didn't have a wild one left in the freezer.

A few years ago we started a new "tradition" at our house. Thanksgiving week is the last of Montana's 5-week rifle season for deer and elk, and by then we've been hunting since at least early September. We're getting a little weary, and while we may go out Monday and Tuesday, we don't like to fight the crush of last-minute hunters that normally occurs from Wednesday through the weekend. Instead we're ready to take it relatively easy, or at least as easy as two obsessive-compulsive people can.

So we cook Thanksgiving dinner on Monday afternoon, keeping it simple, and live off leftovers, including various recipes Eileen develops for turkey later in the week. This weekend we also "celebrated" by cutting up the mule deer buck I killed on the 16th, which had aged sufficiently--and almost topped off this year's freezer. (We have two 15 cubic-foot chest freezers, one next to the kitchen, filled with meat from previous years, and another in the basement, which we try to fill up during the present year. The mule deer almost topped it off.)

Of course, all hunting doesn't end with Thanksgiving week. I'm leaving for South Texas pretty soon, and am assigned the task of "harvesting" enough wild pork to completely fill the basement freezer. We'll also be hunting birds through December.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John and Eileen have added so much common sense to this forum and it's greatly appreciated.

John's books have saved me $$$$ with the great reloading data and tips.

Thank You John and Eileen.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thank you too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.