Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

My grandson killed a fork horn blacktail on the last day of late rifle season, a 30 yard shot with a 30-06. He was using blue tipped factory Barnes bullets and I'm not sure of the weight. His Dad told me that the bullet hit the buck's shoulder and only penetrated 8 inches or less. What??!!

With a grin in his voice, my son added, “The bullet went through a tree before hitting the deer.” laugh

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Saw something like that once on a big bushbuck my wife shot in South Africa with a 150-grain Nosler E-Tip from a .308 Winchester. The bushbuck (about the body size of a young whitetail buck) was in a thicket, and even through the scope Eileen couldn't totally separate bushbuck from surrounding vegetation. When she shot the bushbuck dropped right there and never moved--but the entrance wound was about an inch wide. The bullet had clipped a the a leaf of a big prickly pear cactus, so was "pre-expanded" when it hit the bushbuck. The entrance hole was an inch wide, and the bullet was recovered a foot or so into the chest.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Barnes Bad Boy Bullets

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Didn't someone say they way over penetrate. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was gonna ask what number his deer was in line.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by viking
Didn't someone say they way over penetrate. LOL

Figured someone would be along with an over penetrate joke.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy always ribs me and calls them "armor piercers"

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw the "only 8 inches" and figured there was more to the story.

how many inches of tree did it pass through, and what kind of tree was it?

Years ago I bet Big Brother a 160g Grand Slam from my 7mm RM would pass through the trunk of a 1 foot wide pine. He bet it wouldn't. He lost. Don't think I would have made that bet if the tree was an oak.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/15/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Damn no good under powered 30-06 😊

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My moose from three years ago was locked up with another bull at extremely short range. Willows were so tall I had to try to sneak a bullet through the brush a bit.

At the shot the bull stood straight up on his hind legs and came over backward. Another through the ribs was given.

The bullet made three entrance and exit woods through the shoulder, above the spine. 168gr TTSX, 30-06.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Years ago I bet Big Brother a 160g Grand Slam from my 7mm RM would pass through the trunk of a 1 foot wide pine. He bet it wouldn't. He lost. Don't think I would have made that bet if the tree was an oak.

Big difference between green wood and standing dry... on a wet oak I would bet on a pass-through.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Damned trees! good reason to live north of the Arctic circle- then you still have to watch out for the bastids in places!

On the other hand, try not to punch a caribou at 40 yards with a .30-06 150 gr. Superperformance at about 3100fps.

Twice. She just stood there at the first one...

It ain't my fault! Much...

https://imgur.com/HK2Rcfy

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Pardon me for not answering your query, but in my senility I didn't notice it till now, the day after deer season.

The tree was a live fir, looked 7 or 8 inches diameter in the pics they showed me, and the bullet caught an inch and a half in from the edge so went through about six inches of sap wood. What impressed me was that the bullet kept going straight and hit the buck where intended. It made a huge blaze on the tree with all of the wood from bark to bullet path blown away with a straight line streak of bullet path showing all the way. It made a large oval entry wound on the buck.

I did about the same on a 10 inch fir years ago with a 165 grain Sierra soft point boat tail on a bull elk, but that bullet was not up to the task. The elk flinched either from splinters or as the spent bullet thumped him, but he was not injured enough to leave cut hair nor a speck of blood.

Art, good shooting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rather be lucky...

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I shot a mature whitetail buck last year with a 35 Whelen and a 200 grain Accubond ,it broke the onside shoulder went out through the opposite ribs and then went completely through a 3" green beach tree!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My second deer I shot with a 30/06 150 gr Remington Core- LoKt. It was about a 30 or 40 yard shot from a tree I climbed. The bullet tumbled and left a wide wound just clipping the spine. Of course I was aiming for the shoulder and couldn't figure out what happened for the bullet to hit that high and hit sideways.

I walked back to the tree I was in and noticed there was a sapling, 10 yds from the tree that was freshly snapped in two and hanging by bark. The bullet went through the sapling and hit that old buck. That bullet was in God's hands after hitting that sapling, that's for sure.

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Several years we were hunting and one of our guys shot a doe. It pretty much dropped on the spot and when we got to it, it had 2 entrance wounds. Looking around I saw a sapling bent over with what looked like a bullet hole in it. We figured that the vertical crosshair covered the sapling so he never saw it. The bullet was a Nosler Ballistic Tip from a 30-06.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Projectiles do strange things when they hit stuff early. Killed two called Turkey's at once years ago when an unnoticed sapling sent a lone pellet about 30 degrees left and 30 yards into an untargetted gobbler forehead. The intended bird flopped for a long time. The casual victim just died!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had deer and small saplings drop simultaneously. Shot from a hide at a baboon and missed wtf? Shot twice more and hit him on the run at about 200. My PH said look at the blind, it was smoking. I just told him the first two shots were to open up a shooting port.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.