Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hell yes you get that .22!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well, my family screwed me out of the Colt so that's that. No surprise.

How so?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went on a journey to find an accurate .22lr pistol that I could hit stuff with. I had a Colt New Frontier 7.5" barrel that was the leading candidate behind a Contender but foolishly sold the Colt for ?????????????can't remember.

One of the biggest mistakes if not the biggest I've made in my firearms history.

It was replaced with a Ruger Single Six 6.5" stainless that a client bought for me and while the Ruger is within a whisper of the accuracy of the Colt it's not a Colt and it doesn't feel like a Colt.

I hope you prevail in your efforts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good points. I've always thought of a .22 revolver as being useful.I could see me keeping it pretty handy. I decided even if I don't get this one (my uncle gets first crack at it, then me if he doesn't want it) I'm going to buy probably a Ruger Bearcat.

Bought my Bearcat in 1968, still toting it. GREAT little pistol..

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I still have (in my possession) a Smith 18 and a single Six flatgate. Love them both.
I also own a Ruger MkII 6 7/8 that I can't seem to retrieve from eldest son smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flipping joke that you didn't get it, my cheap a$$ uncle snatched up everything of value of my grandfathers when he passed away.

Few years back I finally talked him into SELLING me my grandmothers Ithaca 20g that since the 70's I had been the only one to use. In the fall my grandfather would let my dad take it for me to use and it would be returned after hunting season.

This past year after years of hounding him, I pretty much paid full price for a 1894 Winchester that had been in my family since new (1906). Bought another pistol of my grandfathers and couldn't afford to buy the last few guns of my grandfathers that hadn't been sold, but either have been or will be.

Anyways - I've got a handful of .22 revolvers and pistols and this past week have started to look for the proverbial truck gun (.22 revolver) to keep in my hunting/fishing truck. Found myself in the need for one when I didn't have anything on hand.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Granddad got shuttled off to an old folks home years ago, one that had something akin to small apartments for the residents. His neighbors were prone to partying outside his door at all hours of the night and he grew weary of such things. The High Standard 9-shooter that rests in my safe was in his hand one night when he stepped out a popped off a couple of rounds into the night sky. Problem solved."

Dan...you inherited far more than just the gun... crazy

So moose have you decided what .22 handgun you are going to get...?

I'm not sure how many I have as I don't have that many fingers and toes... The latest one I just got from a friend is a mint 1968 Colt Trooper. Liked it so much went out and bought a matching .357 Trooper that just happened to be made the same year...

I've used mine for small game hunting, plinking and for a lot of NRA Basic Pistol classes but my major use is for a cheap understudy for my centerfire handguns. Like the two Troopers, I have understudies for most of the semi-autos, double action and single action handguns I have.

Hard to have just one...Bob

Last edited by RJM; 10/28/17.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A few years ago I picked up a little 4" 9-shot stainless J-frame copy with rubber grips. It's a Taurus 94 and is a pretty handy little pistol that fits just right in a back pocket.
It's a lightweight gun with a lightweight hammer, so it has a pretty stout hammer spring for positive ignition on the rimfire cases which makes the double action pull a little heavy, but single action pull is just right.

I like it quite a bit.

The price was right and it's fun and fairly quiet running through 9 quick shots of CB Shorts. Or you can liven things up with some Yellow Jackets.

Accuracy is surprisingly good and I can dot an i at 10 yards offhand.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
22 semiauto pistols can be finicky with ammo .. Revolvers are not ...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Buckeye; 11/08/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

When I was 12 my dad purchased a RG 22 revolver .. Just about like this one .. He gave it to me to carry while tromping thru the woods , camping and fishing... I wish I knew how many rounds was fired thru that " pot metal " revolver ... I can't remember when I traded it off ... But I wish I kept it !!

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
What has not been said yet is a good 22 rf revolver or semi is an excellent tool to go back to in order to refresh good shooting skills. Many times shooters will step up to larger handguns and develope flinches, wrong grips, poor sigh tpicture ,etc. A bit of practice with a 22 rf can identify those less desirable habits and let the shooter concentrate on correcting them without the recoil and noise.

It is also a handgun that a starting shooter can master the basic shooting skills with before stepping up

Well stated ^^^^^ ... Love the little S&W 63's with 4" barrel. Can name at least one formerly rabid anti-gunner that left my place with a changed attitude after spending 20-30 minutes punching paper with a M63 kit gun. Comment to the effect of "Gee... I didn't realize how much fun that could be..."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Moose,
thats a shame that it did not make it to your safe. Next best thing is to start a search for a similar one. IT will remind you of the times with your grandfather every time you use it. Take your time and find a good one. Dont fret about the exact price. Just treasure the memories and tell the good stories about your early trips to the next generation. Let the blood suckers enjoy their hoard.
Enjoy the chase.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One of the best rounds to go back to and shoot to get rid of the flinch that all these big handguns cause.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Exactomundo!

People pooh-pooh those tales but killer rabbits have been responsible for more deaths than all of the sasquatches, chupacabras and 30 foot white sharks combined. We even have records going back to the Middle Ages where they were the scourge of multiple shires. Many a brave k-nig-ut met his fate at the hands of those deadly incisors.

The challenge...

[Linked Image]

and the deadly result.

[Linked Image]

If only they'd had Colt .22 revolvers back then.... cry

Classic!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
One of the best rounds to go back to and shoot to get rid of the flinch that all these big handguns cause.

+1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
She then asked "well how is it so useful for hiking and carrying"? I said it just is. grin

I carry a 10 shot Ruger SP101 afield. I stoke it with five rat shot shells & five .22 LR's. It has dispatched snakes & a Ring Tail cat bent on getting into my blind with me in it. Used it to dispatch downed animals.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You can wingshoot carpenter bees with rat shot.

[Linked Image]

And I thought I was the only bee shooter around!
Dragon flies are fine targets too.

Last edited by Blacktail308; 12/14/17.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
have a lot of ,22 handguns both revolvers and semi autos, always leave one in my jeep and 1 in my truck

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i like to keep a single six in my SxS for critters and snakes..

Also to dispatch coons from traps.

I left in the SxS for too long, started to rust some. So i had it stripped and cerakoted. Now its good to go.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moose Mike , you can tell your wife that a bear guide in Alaska who is also a combat vet agrees with your choice .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,268
Posts18,467,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.