Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluestem
Why do people remove the rear iron sights? Wish people would leave them on.

And btw, the perfect big game rifle needs to have iron sights and quick detachable rings.

Easy to put them back on when needed. They get in the way of the scope most of the time.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have the problem of removing the rear sight. I don't buy guns with a rear sight.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What's worked out as pretty much perfect for me is a 30-06 Rem 700 CDL, 24" barrel, no sights. Has an old 2-7x Redfield on it, though I actually prefer a fixed 6x Leupold.

Last fall, and then this past spring, that rifle gave me: elk, mule deer, pronghorn, black bear, wolf and grizzly.

Carried it a lot. Hunted hard. Didn't worry about the conditions. Like my other 700's have for 40+ years, it worked just fine. Very accurate and easy to carry. Reliable as all get out. I think that I should have used tougher scope mounts/rings, but I dropped it on a rock last year while hunting. Hit the rear scope ring. Zero didn't shift at all. Maybe these mounts are tough enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got a near-twin to it, in 25-06 with a 6x Leupold that has been my favorite mule deer rifle for the past 12 years or so. It too is completely reliable, easy to carry, and very accurate from field positions.

Regards, Guy

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Every rifle is a compromise--no single gun can be better at a given task than a gun specifically built for the task. I have three perfect guns: a 7-08 NULA, a .338 WM Model 70 and a .416 Rem Mag also on a M70. They are all perfect for the jobs I grab them for.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

1. Accurate - MOA or better, preferably much better.
2. Great trigger - smooth and around 3-1/2 lbs pull.
4. Synthetic stock.
5. Rust resistant metal - I like stainless a lot, but any good rust preventing coating would do.
6. Bolt-locking safety.
7. Mauser-type extractor.
9. Relatively light weight.
10. Relatively low recoil.
11. Good balance and fit.
12. 22" barrel or shorter.
13. Studs for locking/quick-release sling swivels.
14. Slim stock.
15. Under $1,000 - preferably much under.

I MOSTLY concur with your requirements. I just edited your list for myself.

#3 - iron sights are useless to me therefore add weight unnecessarily.

#8 - control feed isn't important to me since I don't hunt dangerous game of any size.

I could be perfectly satisfied, come to think of it I am, .my rifles fill the bill.
I'm not being smart or sarcastic, any rifle I've had that didn't suit me is NO longer taking up space here.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
These three come pretty close to my 'perfect' rifle.
[Linked Image]

I like those rifles as well. I've seen the pic a few times and like it.

I don't mean to insult you and I'm not trying to pick a fight.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Those Rugers are not control feed as a true Mauser. Aren't they 'semi' control feed ?

I've had Rugers and I have a 98 now, there is a difference.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MY perfect rifle...

VZ-24 action, FORGED bolt handle, DT trigger, M70 2 pos safety, Late WWII stamped triggerguard(milled floorplate, extended release).

NOS Yugo M48 barrel(8x57)....Mag Parkerized.

Leupold STD 1 pc base, low rings, Weaver Classic K4

McMillan Coyote Bomber stock.

And I'll be taking it to the woods again in the morning, along with some 200gr Hot Cor's over CFE223.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Sako M85 Finnlight in 300 Win. Light, easy to carry, shoots like a dream. I would hunt anything in North America with that rifle loaded with a 200gr Partition.

Last edited by 340boy; 11/23/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy
My Sako M85 Finnlight in 300 Win. Light, easy to carry, shoots like a dream. I would hunt anything in North America with that rifle loaded with a 200gr Partition.

Re: The perfect big game hunting rifle?

Man, if I knew for sure I'd quit buying and selling so many, but...I think 340boy may be onto something here smile.

I have a McMillan Edge on order for my Finnlight which was supposed to be here Saturday. Plenty of time to get 'er ready for deer rifle season starting 11/29.

But, no, I just got an email from UPS with an "updated" delivery of 11/29. WTF?!

Ah, well, not the end of the world. I'll just take the ol' Kimber Montana .300 Win Mag. It's a pretty close second. grin

Last edited by skeen; 11/23/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Beautiful nice set up

IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This one is starting to grow on me. Montana X2 Extreme in .30-06, with a Meopta 6x42mm (#4 reticle) in Talley lighteights. I could live with it as my only rifle. A .270 custom I have (also with a Meopta 6X) would work, too. Both loaded with Partitions or Accubonds.
Bob

[Linked Image]

.270 on a 700 LH with steel bottom metal, McMillan stock and a 24" Pac Nor barrel. Meopta 6x in steel Talleys. My go-to rifle lately
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/23/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
This one is starting to grow on me. Montana X2 Extreme in .30-06, with a Meopta 6x42mm (#4 reticle) in Talley lighteights. I could live with it as my only rifle. A .270 custom I have as a back-up (also with a Meopta 6X) would be nice, though.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Bob, see if you can get your money back on that one. The bolt is on the wrong side. grin

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by RGK
This one is starting to grow on me. Montana X2 Extreme in .30-06, with a Meopta 6x42mm (#4 reticle) in Talley lighteights. I could live with it as my only rifle. A .270 custom I have as a back-up (also with a Meopta 6X) would be nice, though.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Bob, see if you can get your money back on that one. The bolt is on the wrong side. grin

I know, I know, but it shoots so well I hate to send it back.
Bob

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I was a strong young guy, I liked BARs and had them in several calibers. Then I hit middle age and they were a little heavy, so I traded into mostly bolt guns. Now that I'm old, I'm back to the BAR in .30-06 as one of my go to guns. Mine is an Belgium made Grade III with super wood and a little rose and scroll hand engraving. Weight doesn't bother me since walks are very short. I drive out, sit and watch or take a stand either manufactured or hastily put together from natural elements. The gas action recoils much like a ..243, the rifle shoots really close to one inch groups with factory ammo.

If you see me with a bolt gun, it will likely be a .308, .243,,or .223. I don't like recoil any more and sold my last belted magnum several years ago. At eighty, I no longer need to be macho. BTW, I am no longer mad enough at deer to hunt in the rain.

Good to you,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 11/24/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Perfect big game rifle? Man, is that a subjective question! Depending on my mood and what I'm hunting I have about 40 in the toy box chambered in as many cartridges. They vary from heavy Shiloh Sharps rifles to svelte Mannlicher/Schoenauer's, double rifles, finely crafted pre-war Mausers, a nice, old Husky in 9.3 X 57 on a '96 action, drillings and German single shot rifles. There's even a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 which is also the only one to wear a scope....and hasn't seen the light of day in 20 years. I've carried most of them from here at about 1000 ft. ele. to almost 10,000 when we lived in Wyoming.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jt402
When I was a strong young guy, I liked BARs and had them in several calibers. Then I hit middle age and they were a little heavy, so I traded into mostly bolt guns. Now that I'm old, I'm back to the BAR in .30-06 as one of my go to guns. Mine is an Belgium made Grade III with super wood and a little rose and scroll hand engraving. Weight doesn't bother me since walks are very short. I drive out, sit and watch or take a stand either manufactured or hastily put together from natural elements. The gas action recoils much like a ..243, the rifle shoots really close to one inch groups with factory ammo.

If you see me with a bolt gun, it will likely be a .308, .243,,or .223. I don't like recoil any more and sold my last belted magnum several years ago. At eighty, I no longer need to be macho. BTW, I am no longer mad enough at deer to hunt in the rain.

Good to you,

Jack

Jack, if you hand load, try some Barnes 130 grain TTSX bullets in your BAR. I loaded some of those with a half grain under the book max load of H4895 and they were very soft shooting, I could detect a difference from the normal 150 grain hand loads and factory loads I'm used to in that rifle.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

I know, I know, but it shoots so well I hate to send it back.
Bob

Let's see. Stainless steel with fiberglass stock. Mauser/M70 hybrid controlled feed action bedded at the factory. One piece bolt. Match grade barrel. Old style M70 trigger. 3 position safety. Chambered in whatever you want.

Probably about as close to perfect as you are going to get if executed properly. I'd have to see one in person to render final judgement but its probably better for my wallet if I didn't as I sure don't "need" a rifle like that to shoot deer from a blind.

Last edited by RJY66; 11/24/17.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by GuyM
What's worked out as pretty much perfect for me is a 30-06 Rem 700 CDL, 24" barrel, no sights. Has an old 2-7x Redfield on it, though I actually prefer a fixed 6x Leupold.

Last fall, and then this past spring, that rifle gave me: elk, mule deer, pronghorn, black bear, wolf and grizzly.

Carried it a lot. Hunted hard. Didn't worry about the conditions. Like my other 700's have for 40+ years, it worked just fine. Very accurate and easy to carry. Reliable as all get out. I think that I should have used tougher scope mounts/rings, but I dropped it on a rock last year while hunting. Hit the rear scope ring. Zero didn't shift at all. Maybe these mounts are tough enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got a near-twin to it, in 25-06 with a 6x Leupold that has been my favorite mule deer rifle for the past 12 years or so. It too is completely reliable, easy to carry, and very accurate from field positions.

Regards, Guy

I love the older CDLs. Before they turned the stocks into a 2x4. Built my 280AI on one. I'm on a constant vigil for one in pristine condition in 270. Just because. I do like em.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Re: The perfect big game hunting rifle?

Man, if I knew for sure I'd quit buying and selling so many, but...I think 340boy may be onto something here smile.

I have a McMillan Edge on order for my Finnlight which was supposed to be here Saturday. Plenty of time to get 'er ready for deer rifle season starting 11/29.

But, no, I just got an email from UPS with an "updated" delivery of 11/29. WTF?!

Ah, well, not the end of the world. I'll just take the ol' Kimber Montana .300 Win Mag. It's a pretty close second. grin

Skeen,
I will be really curious to see how you like that Finnlight with that Edge installed. As far as not buying any new rifles? Eh, probably not. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Built around a Rem 700 Defiance bolt & receiver approx 8lb rifle in .300 win with a 24" fluted bead blasted stainless steel threaded barrel, 4lb trigger, heavy synthetic stock & bedded of coarse. One piece scope base and a 3x9 vari with a bipod.
This would be considered a mountain man rifle not intended for the woosie man.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.