Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got the 18v Makita. It seems to a little better quality then Dewalt but not as strong as the Milwaukee Fuel. If you can find the Milwaukee for similar price, I'd jump on it. Seems like they are all on sale around Christmas

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
I went with the RIDGED from Home Depot. If you regester your battery they have a life time warranty. . Ive had three replaced. Find that in another brand.
I had one of those. A battery crapped out and they sent it in for repair at least 2 years ago since they no longer sold that battery. I'm still waiting to get it back.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Milwaukee fuel 18 volt

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Makita. They have a great 18v system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rnovi
I went with Ryobi for the convenience of their 18V line. The blower, hedge trimmer, weed whacker are mainstays...and I've used their drill, impact drill, three saws, etc. regularly as well. I'm very open to adding in the lawnmower when the time is right. I also have a couple of Milwaukee 12v tools - yes, the better companies are better but I just don't have the need for them. It's complete overkill for me as a homeowner.

+1 on the Ryobi ONE+ line of 18V tools. Plenty good enough for what you are going to do. Heck, if you didn't have one until this project anyway you clearly are not using it. Plus with the Home Depot Black Friday sale you can get a drill, an impact driver, 2 chargers, and 2 batteries for $99

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a 18V Milwaukee at home I’ve been using for 7 years. Still going strong, battery life excellent.

Use 24V Dewalts at work because they’re free. Battery life is half of what I’m used to and the drills themselves only last about 6 months.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Smokey262
Originally Posted by rnovi
I went with Ryobi for the convenience of their 18V line. The blower, hedge trimmer, weed whacker are mainstays...and I've used their drill, impact drill, three saws, etc. regularly as well. I'm very open to adding in the lawnmower when the time is right. I also have a couple of Milwaukee 12v tools - yes, the better companies are better but I just don't have the need for them. It's complete overkill for me as a homeowner.

+1 on the Ryobi ONE+ line of 18V tools. Plenty good enough for what you are going to do. Heck, if you didn't have one until this project anyway you clearly are not using it. Plus with the Home Depot Black Friday sale you can get a drill, an impact driver, 2 chargers, and 2 batteries for $99

I have Ryobi 18v too. Works for my hobbyist purposes. Nice thing was when they went to the One+ system the Lithium batteries work in my older 18V which was a HUUUGE improvement in battery life. I made some bird houses the other day with the kids and my drill was ready to go and honestly i cant remember when the batteries were charged last, it's been a few months at least

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ryobi. I've had Makita, and they are fine until the batteries go bad. The replacement batteries are super expensive. I bought a couple of the Ryobi high capacity batteries with a fuel gauge for $49 for the pair. I have three drills, a drill-driver, a circular saw, a sawsall, a palm router, a halogen spotlight, an LED lantern, an incandescent work light, and an 8" chainsaw on a 8' pole that all use the same batteries. They all work great.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
I went with the RIDGED from Home Depot. If you regester your battery they have a life time warranty. . Ive had three replaced. Find that in another brand.

bosch has a replacement policy

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I build/remodel for a living. We use the impact drivers daily for something. Lots of weeks they see some heavy duty workouts. I have Porter Cable set that has held up like a champ for several years and still going strong. Also have a Milwaukee set that's a couple years old, no complaints at all. Can't go wrong with Makita.
Ryobi is good stuff for the money. DeWalt batteries seem to crap out and not hold a charge. I prob won't ever by anything with the Rigid name on it again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought the Bosch combo set 5 years ago. The impact quit this summer, but the drill is still strong. I replaced the impact with Milwaukee, mainly because of warranty. The Bosch was 1 yr. versus 5 yrs. on the Milwaukee. The Bosch is nothing to sneeze at. It did a lot of large jobs including several metal roofs and 300' piers. It paid for itself on the first one. The Milwaukee has more arse though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jimjr
I’m looking at 18-20volt tools. There are so many and reviews are all over the map. Sounds like gun reviews. Will be building a simple porch soon and want to screw stuff together instead of nailing. Liking Dewalt and Makita models. What does everyone think and what models? I don’t need pro models for homeowner jobs.

They all come from the same factory in China. I don't see any point in paying a bunch of money for what used to be a great American brand like Milwaukee or Dewalt. Go to Harbor Freight, get what you need to build your porch, and pay closer to what the tool is actually worth. If it craps out before you get the porch built, they will give you another one under warranty. Chances are it won't. If it tears up down the road, pitch it and go get you another one. I have found that Harbor Freight stuff lasts a long time sitting in my garage waiting around for the occasional project. I have not had to throw anything away yet and some of it is pushing 10 years old. I see cordless tools as kind of disposable anyway because as Rock Chuck says, the batteries cost as much to replace as getting a new tool.

If you want "quality" all I know is the guys who I know that used to be big Milwaukee guys have gone to Metabo. But honestly, if I were going to "invest" in a tool like that it would be corded.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric brand, their tools all use the same battery so you don't need a half dozen chargers and spare batteries lying around. Their batteries are NiCad 18v but they're also only $17 instead of 60 or $70 so you can afford to have a couple extras ready to go.

I have a Ridgid recip saw. They don't carry batteries for this particular one any more and the 1 I have is getting weak. Amazon carries some Chinese after market batteries for it but they're $70 each. I'll likely replace the saw from Harbor Frt when the time comes. I don't use it enough to justify $200 for a Milwaukee.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There are Youtube videos about rebuilding these batteries if you have the time and interest.

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAzLpS1b5L8

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Impressed by the Milwaukee warranty. Had a 18v drill/hammer drill that broke the gearbox.
I was just going to pitch it because it had more than paid for itself at work. Driving by the
service center one day I stooped in and had them look at the drill. They said it was 5 years
old and they sent it in to the repair shop no questions asked.

About 6 weeks later it came back with a new motor, gearbox, and chuck. It is now a home
use tool as I found a really good deal on a Fuel impact / drill combo set for work.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Always been a fan of Milwaukee, but started using Porter Cable 20volt tools. Priced great and work great. Lowes carries them.

3825 24336
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I believe that Milwaukee has a plant in MS.

Not all is made in china.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I believe that Milwaukee has a plant in MS.

Not all is made in china.

Originally Posted by amazon
Product description
Milwaukee 2606-20 M18 1/2" Drill Driver. The Product is Easy to Use and Easy to Handle. The Product is Highly Durable. Made In China.

Product information
Technical Details

Part Number 2606-20
Item Weight 2.9 pounds
Product Dimensions 2.2 x 7.7 x 7.2 inches
Item model number 2606-20
Size Large
Color Red
Material Plastic, Metal
Power Source battery-powered
Voltage 18 volts
Horsepower 500 HP
Item Package Quantity 1
Number Of Pieces 1
Measurement System Metric
Special Features compact
Included Components Drill driver
Batteries Included? No
Batteries Required? No
Battery Cell Type Lithium Ion

Most things, these days, are made in China. The spec they are built to, and the design, however, is often domestic, and it differs from brand to brand.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 18v Ryobi set that came with the Drill, circular saw, recip saw, flashlight, charger, and extra battery. You can buy the whole damn thing for $120 at Home Depot right now. Not sure for homeowner use you can get a better deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...s-Super-Combo-Kit-4-Piece-P883/203466914

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.