Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
After the last episode of Mountain Men's Season 1 they show a trailor introducing Rich Lewis. Rich Lewis is firing a automatic pisol with polymer grips but unforunately I am not able to identify the gun. It might be a HK but I am not sure. Any clues?

Elmer Keith
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looked to me like the FN 5.7 too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not speculation on my part......................just sayin'. wink

MM

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Elmer Keith: I have shot Rich's pistol and it is a noisy, high capacity, easy to carry and efficient Cougar killer.
I forget what they are called but I remember him buying it about 4 - 5 years ago at our local gunshop.
I talked with Rich last week as he was coming out of the lower Madison range, and he was in a state as he was helping an Elk Hunter out and during 6 days of Elk Hunting they had come across 11 Grizzly Bears!
And on one occasion they were prevented from stalking an Elk they had spotted due to the number of Griz between them and the Elk!
I am sure FN made the pistol but the model number and cartridge designation escape me - they (the pistol and the ammo) are pricey I do know that.
Rich, in real life, is a hoot - he is a "Jack of all trades" and an excellent Big Game Hunter.
I'll get the exact model number/name/designation and caliber later today and post them.
I first Hunted with Rich about 18 years ago for Black Bear up in the Yaak country of far NW Montana.
A few years back Rich got a coveted Bighorn Sheep tag here in Montana and as he was riding his longtime favorite horse up into Sheep country the poor horse laid down and died right there in the trail!
Delaying his Hunt as he retrieved a chain saw and removed his old friend (he did harvest a beautiful big ram a few days later).
Yeah Rich is a cool guy and incredibly personable and likable in real life.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ElmerKeith: That pistol is made by FN and is called the "FN Five Seven - MK-II" it is pricey at around $1,200.00 coming with 3 20 round magazines!
The caliber designation is 5.7x28mm and I think they are about $29.00 per box of 50 under the FN brand - others may offer it - I don't know.
Again they ARE noisy so be sure to wear hearing protection if you shoot one.
I learned the hard way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Elmer Keith: I have shot Rich's pistol and it is a noisy, high capacity, easy to carry and efficient Cougar killer.
I forget what they are called but I remember him buying it about 4 - 5 years ago at our local gunshop.
I talked with Rich last week as he was coming out of the lower Madison range, and he was in a state as he was helping an Elk Hunter out and during 6 days of Elk Hunting they had come across 11 Grizzly Bears!
And on one occasion they were prevented from stalking an Elk they had spotted due to the number of Griz between them and the Elk!
I am sure FN made the pistol but the model number and cartridge designation escape me - they (the pistol and the ammo) are pricey I do know that.
Rich, in real life, is a hoot - he is a "Jack of all trades" and an excellent Big Game Hunter.
I'll get the exact model number/name/designation and caliber later today and post them.
I first Hunted with Rich about 18 years ago for Black Bear up in the Yaak country of far NW Montana.
A few years back Rich got a coveted Bighorn Sheep tag here in Montana and as he was riding his longtime favorite horse up into Sheep country the poor horse laid down and died right there in the trail!
Delaying his Hunt as he retrieved a chain saw and removed his old friend (he did harvest a beautiful big ram a few days later).
Yeah Rich is a cool guy and incredibly personable and likable in real life.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A dead horse and a chain saw! Now that would be real reality TV.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you guys for this whole bunch of great informations especially added with the personal note by VarmintGuy. After reading this I would even more like to change my personal habitat. It's way too crowdy over here in Germany.

BTW: the 5.7x28 mm is prohibited in Germany by law. The law states that pistols and revolvers with a caliber below 6.3 mm are prohibited if produced after January 1, 1970 because cartridges of this caliber are often constructed to penetrate bullet proof vests.

For gun owners who legally won a S&W M53 produced before Jan. 1st, 1970 everything is alright but beware if your M53 was made in 1970.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you saying that guy cut up a dead horse with a chainsaw?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ElmerKeith: I have a very close friend (Andreas Pfirstinger) who lives in or around Bad Tolz, Germany.
He is a fly fishing shop owner and guides fishermen thereabouts.
He just LOVES to come to America and fish.
He stays with me for several days in September when he is on vacation here.
I have been doing some more reading on the 5.7x28mm cartridge and indeed it apparently was designed/made to be able to penetrate certain kevlar vests!?
Come on over we have room for one more here in America!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bleudreaux: Yes his horse died in the middle of the narrow part of a trail and he had been contacted by a Game Warden who was on patrol at the trail head and saw his horses and him.
So he went and retrieved his chainsaw and dismembered his horse and removed it and his saddle and gear from the trail.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. Thats a heck of a story! Sorry, Trigger ol' boy but I had to move you <G>

A stupid question and if I understand the post - why does a guy carry a 5.7mm, 40 gr bullet/cartridge in grizzly country? I don't care if the magazine held 75 cartridges, I think I'd rather use bear spray. Of course I may be missing some vital piece of info. I may have been wrong before.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
Wow. Thats a heck of a story! Sorry, Trigger ol' boy but I had to move you <G>

A stupid question and if I understand the post - why does a guy carry a 5.7mm, 40 gr bullet/cartridge in grizzly country?

Bears are smart and maybe wearing body armor.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
VarmintGuy do you know the caliber of that Browning High Wall Rich carrys? Thanks.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I believe it's a 300 WM. I think he mentioned it on one of the shows.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks and happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Last edited by IMR4350; 11/23/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IMR4350
VarmintGuy do you know the caliber of that Browning High Wall Rich carrys? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Nope, it's a 7mm Rem Mag, generally shooting 175 Speer Grand Slams..............& I have the luxury of not guessing.

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by IMR4350

Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Nope, it's a 7mm Rem Mag, generally shooting 175 Speer Grand Slams..............& I have the luxury of not guessing.

MM

Are you Rich Lewis?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,291
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.