-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must be the tight ass vetsion of a looney.
I ponder the cost of loading a new cartridge before buying a gun.

Well, I bought a 1911, my only 45 acp,
then bought dies. Looking at brass prices, I decided
factory was the way to go. Bought a case.
Still haven't loaded any yet

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by deflave
JB,

If you don't mind, I'm going to take this one...

You are a certified Loony when you purchase dies or components for a chambering you don't yet own.

Another indicator is accepting free ammunition for chambering's you don't own, and then using that free ammunition (regardless of quantity) as a "reason" to purchase another rifle.

Travis

Been there done that. How about using dangerous game rifles like a 500 BPE, 450-400 3 inch NE or a 416 to hunt deer just because you can.
I recently bought 2 Ruger #1's an international in 7X57 (I have at least 6 rifles in that caliber) and a 6.5 Creedmore. They were a good deal and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I have new dies for a 22 Hornet and 100 rounds of new brass. I have had these items for almost ten years. I do in fact have two Hornets both Pre64 M70's but found 10 boxes of new ammo at an estate sale and have never worked up a load for the Hornet.
I love custom rifles and have a hankering for a 6.5X55 maybe with a full Manlichner stock. I have two 7MM-08's the previous half dozen 7X57's the Creedmore and two 264 WM. What will the Swede do that these won't??.......NOTHING.....BUT that's not the point now is it.

Last edited by GSPfan; 11/23/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chit! I guess that makes me a loony. You know what they say though, "first step in getting over an addiction is to admit you have a problem."

BS! I can stop buying rifles anytime I want!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe having 10 -270`s qualifies.

Last edited by Huntz; 11/23/17.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This thread and many others I've read have helped me understand that I am like many of you. That's good as I figured my buying, building, shooting and selling was something a bit odd. I started with a great Savage 99 and have had one or many more Rem, Win, Ruger, Kimber, Sako, Weatherby, Tikka, T/C. 300 Savage, 7mm Mag., 270, 264 Mag, 270 WSM, 7mmWSM, 300WSM, 308, 6.5 CM, 338 Mag, 338 Federal, 444. Still have a 788 308 and Sako 6.5. Just mounted and bore-sighted a new scope today...can't wait to shoot it! Tomorrows another day, won't stop...keeps me going! Mac

Last edited by Mac284338; 11/23/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does your local gun shop have you on speed dial? That might be an indication.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
M
I have just acquired a 25 Gibs . I am trying to find an average sale price. I have searched the web with little to no success. I have noticed there are not many out there, maybe it's the wildcat thing and reloading issues. Is there a market for these rifles? Let me know if anyone has information.

Last edited by melton1967; 01/09/18.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Melton
I can help on THAT one.
It's the reloading, wildcat thing.
There is NO market for it! Sorry!
I NEED it. Send it to me! I'll borrow the money...somewhere.
Gene

M
M
Mavrick,
I am willing to get rid of it. sale or trade. If you have to rob a store I'm not picky

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'd really like to, but I have several (6) in the gunsmith's now, and I am afraid several may come out at the same time and I won't have the capital to cover as it is.
FWIW the wildcat part doesn't bother me.
Gene

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hell, I had no idea that Loony membership was so lax. Turns out, I am not just a partial Loony, but a full member of that select club. I could tell stories, and my wife could tell a few as well (that I'll loudly deny, while nodding), but I wouldn't want to shame any of you partials. Although I am impressed by a few of the stories here. Some of you have a commitment level that is venerable.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ruug -

In your OP you said,

"Am I a Looney, and if so, when did I become one?"

I know when my 'loonynees' started. I was @ 10 YO when my Dad 'borrowed' a sporterized rifle in 303 British. I didn't know then or now what rifle it was. He leaned it up against the door 'facing' to pick up the next AM when going deer hunting.! ! !

That did it. I was enamored with good looking rifles EVER SINCE! ! ! cool

Originally Posted by 340boy
Chit! I guess that makes me a loony. You know what they say though, "first step in getting over an addiction is to admit you have a problem."

BS! I can stop buying rifles anytime I want!
grin

I DON'T have a PROBLEM. grin - I NEED every rifle I own. Just ask my wife, I've told her WHY for every one of them. whistle

340 - My difficulty (not problem) is that I DON'T WANT to quit buying good guns. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I know when I made the leap, It was Steve Timm's fault.

For years I had known that a m700 in 30.06 was all the rifle I had ever need. Then I started to reload and started reading the reloading manuals. I started to read the cartridge descriptions, pour over the ballistics info. I could see how some cartridges ( and rifles) were more "right sized' for given applications. I read Steve's description of the 358win in a nosler manual around 1988 and I thought, A short light 358 win would be just perfect for my hunting in the Adirondacks. I bought a few 358's not were just right, so I built one, not quite right either. Built another..Still not exactly right.. Third build.. perfect. In between those builds I probably have gone threw a hundred rifles and 20 customs looking for nirvana for moose, elk, deer from box blinds, deer from tree stands, long range ( for me any way) deer, F-class. etc

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
noKnees

"I know when I made the leap, It was Steve Timm's fault."

Yep, he's a sorry scoundrel, along with JB, Wooters, Sundra, JOC, Hagel, Carmichael, et.al. et.al. laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 5 - count 'em 5 - 7x57s and am thinking about adding another to the stable at some point. So my loonyism is very narrow.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Stuck at three, but they're all Maser 98s, including a beeyootiful Mannlicher stocked item. Although, a friend has a Remmy mtn. rifle that is pretty sweet. And he hasn't used. Hmmm.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RevMike
I have 5 - count 'em 5 - 7x57s and am thinking about adding another to the stable at some point. So my loonyism is very narrow.

BRO. you N E E D h e l p, lots a help ! grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.