Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Hunting north of Fort Scott Kansas all next week and will be in Overland Park one night, Are there any must see gun shops in Kansas City Area?

Ted
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO, no. Years ago, Central Gun Shop in Fort Scott was very good. The guy also owned the gunstore besides Hogdon's in Shawnee. Now...not much I can recommend. The Olathe Gun Shop is right beside where the famous Simmons outfit that specialized in customizing shotguns was. That's the closest thing you're going to get. If you're that far east, you won't be coming into town on I-35. The OGS is right beside I-35 on the east side on a service road.

http://olathegunshop.com/wordpress/

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Olathe gun & pawn , I've bought and have seen several other sweet rifles . Watch their prices though .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always enjoy Scheels in OP. They are well stocked and carry Cooper, Christensen, Sako, etc. The best part is their guns are out in the open so you can handle 'em without waiting for a clerk. It's a big store- they even have a ferris wheel inside and lots of mounts.

Cabela's, which is about 15 miles North of OP, in Kansas City, KS, is a destination for a lot of folks. If you've never been to a Cabela's you should go.

The Bushnell Outlet store in Lenexa is always kinda' cool.

May as well eat at Fiorella's Jackstack Barbecue on 95th and Metcalf. Dude, get the cheesy-corn smile.

Where at by Fort Scott? I've shot some nice bucks 20 miles, or so, north of there in Mound City.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Will be hunting just west of Pleasanton, owner of the property has a house full of huge racks so we are hopeful we can find a good buck.

So far it has been a dream hunt, Nov 13 we drove to Durango to hunt with friends that live there, all three hunters took nice bucks. On Nov 19th we drove to Kansas to seal the deal for next weeks hunt, dropped the truck at a friends home then hoped on a plane to come back home to spend Thanksgiving with our family’s. We fly back Monday to hunt then drive my buddies truck back home.

My buddy supplied his truck and paid for the diesel fuel, I supplied my Air Miles and hotel points for most of the stay so far so it has been a reasonable priced 4 week trip.

Ted
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool, I've fished and hunted Pleasanton City Lake. Make sure you grab some lunch at Meemaw’s Country Kitchen in Pleasanton. If it's still on the menu I recommend the fried chicken. During deer season, breakfast and lunch will be filled with deer hunters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's Pleasanton public land buck. Not a B&C, but, man what a big bodied brute. She weighs 100lbs., I weigh 300lbs. and that buck was much closer in weight to me smile.

By the way, she's about worthless on a deer drag smile.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea no cool old guns shops in KC. Cabelas used guns are out so you can fondle them they usually have a lot but prices are high though sometimes you can jew them down. Schneels has some good stuff and the few times I have been there it wasnt as busy as Cabelas.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If you are into SxS shotguns, then I'd recommend a stop at the Olathe Gun Shop as mentioned above. They have an entire room dedicated to them (probably 300-400) and there are some fine old classics there. The store also has the usual modern guns and a fair selection of used. As mentioned above, it's next door to where Simmons is located (they were still in business last time I visited) on the service road parallel to I-35.

Otherwise there's the usual suspects of big-box stores (Cabelas, Bass Pro, Scheels) with mostly modern and high-priced plastic-fantastics. Although the Gun Library at Cabelas sometimes carries some nice older guns, and they are willing to haggle. Every now and again, you might find a bargain there. There used to be some independently operated stores too, but nothing that I'd consider "must-see." The store next to Hodgdon's is The Bullet Hole. Fair selection, higher prices, customer service varied from excellent (mostly) to disinterested (one or two particular employees). But I don't get down that way often and haven't visited in years, so those employees may be gone.

Almost forgot -- a new store "Frontier Justice" just opened across the interstate from Cabelas. Went there a couple of weeks ago when I was visiting friends who live nearby. Mostly new guns and their list prices are a bit high, but they are willing to haggle. Wouldn't make a special trip just to see them, but worth your time if you're up there anyway.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sounds like I will stick to just hunting, there have been times while traveling I have found a little jewel of a guns store.

Ted
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"Must see", and "Kansas City" is words almost never seen together.

Town oughtta bill itself as the "Farthest Place in the World from Anything Interesting".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grew up in Boonville 100 miles east of here, Kansas City ain't so bad.
My high school history teacher would tell us: "There are no boring towns; only boring people,"

There was a time several years ago when KC did not have many gun stores. That situation has improved, but I am not aware of any great "destination" gun stores in the area. I am on the opposite side of the metro area from where you will be so I'm not real familiar with stores on that side of town. Keep hunting or relax with a few beers and rest up if you need a break from the hunting. If you are restless and need a diversion for about half a day, I always recommend the Arabia Steamboat Museum to visitors.

http://1856.com

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Drive over to Sedalia and take the Sierra Factory Tour.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by savage24
I grew up in Boonville 100 miles east of here, Kansas City ain't so bad.
My high school history teacher would tell us: "There are no boring towns; only boring people,"

There was a time several years ago when KC did not have many gun stores. That situation has improved, but I am not aware of any great "destination" gun stores in the area. I am on the opposite side of the metro area from where you will be so I'm not real familiar with stores on that side of town. Keep hunting or relax with a few beers and rest up if you need a break from the hunting. If you are restless and need a diversion for about half a day, I always recommend the Arabia Steamboat Museum to visitors.

http://1856.com

You and I probably know a lot of the same people or each other.

Pirates
'Class of 93'

He went over yonder way
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by old_willys
Will be hunting just west of Pleasanton, owner of the property has a house full of huge racks so we are hopeful we can find a good buck.

So far it has been a dream hunt, Nov 13 we drove to Durango to hunt with friends that live there, all three hunters took nice bucks. On Nov 19th we drove to Kansas to seal the deal for next weeks hunt, dropped the truck at a friends home then hoped on a plane to come back home to spend Thanksgiving with our family’s. We fly back Monday to hunt then drive my buddies truck back home.

My buddy supplied his truck and paid for the diesel fuel, I supplied my Air Miles and hotel points for most of the stay so far so it has been a reasonable priced 4 week trip.
If you are just west of Pleasanton you simply must take in the Mine Creek Battlefield, which is, just west of Pleasanton.

http://www.kshs.org/mine_creek

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by old_willys
Hunting north of Fort Scott Kansas all next week and will be in Overland Park one night, Are there any must see gun shops in Kansas City Area?

john’s sporting goods in Pittsburgh. Nice selection of new, used ,reloading and all around sporting goods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d definitely stop in on George and Ken at GA Precision!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the input guys, I will check to see how far I am from the spots listed.

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.