Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
The 9x23 has it's merits. Let us know how it works out. Been looking at it some. Might have to get one.

Starline Brass seems to have changed their brass inside taper to accommodate heavy bullets. I think that will help the popularity.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, just got done running 150 rounds through the 21st Century Commander (WC) and the LB.

I think I need to change the sights on the LB. I did a little better with the Colt.

Yesterday I bought Ten 6" x 6" A500 plates. Need more the next time I go into town. Forgot how fun they are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
45 ACP with handloads using 230 grain Hornadys, or in factory rounds, I've used Federal 230 grain Hydro-Shock for years an long with the Remington Golden Sabre. Also have used the 230 grain Ranger LE Load (RA45T).

[Linked Image]

Also carry a 1980 vintage Colt Combat Commander (all-steel) that i've worked over.

Last edited by 1Nut; 11/25/17.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Very nice set up there 1Nut

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander love this gun

Attached Images
wileyclapp lw commander.jpg (64.49 KB, 34 downloads)

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tbear99
Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander love this gun

Yes, that be the one.

Colt Custom Shop all the way.

....and it shoots like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
...but compared to fully loaded .38 Supers they are as slow as molasses. Last ones I clocked were in the low 1200s. Not much more than a 9mm+P. A 125 grain .38 Super should break 1300 easy.

But as bad as Silvertips are the new Federal 115

.38 Super caliber
• 115 grains
• 50-round box
• Jacketed hollow point bullets
• Reloadable brass cases
• Great for target shooting, training and practice
• 326 ft.-lb. of muzzle energy
• 1,130 fps muzzle velocity

I corresponded with Federal CS about why the ammo was so slow...they gave me some BS about SAAMI specs...

The Silvertip .38 Super doesn't push the .38 Super envelope; we can agree on that one. But it's not too hard to find, they have always fed well in all my Supers, accurate, and the bullet does give good terminal performance. It's about 9mm +P range, and I can live with that in a LW Commander with a Tripp research 10 round magazine, and a spare...I feel downright well armed.

If I want more, I tend to turn to the hotter 147's in .38 Super; those are VERY good performers.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I haven’t shot every silvertip in every caliber but, the ones I’ve shot and chronographed in 41 mag and 357 mag were not much over 1200 fps, did not expand or penetrate well when compared to other Bullets in the same class.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Silvertips is old technology, but I have found the .357 to do petty well. There are better choices now for sure.

The all time favorite for me are the 170gr .30-30 silvertip. They kill real quick.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
Silvertips is old technology, but I have found the .357 to do petty well. There are better choices now for sure.

The all time favorite for me are the 170gr .30-30 silvertip. They kill real quick.

The rifle silvertips aren’t dogs like the handgun versions were in my experience. In the 30-30 they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The old rifle Silvertips & the handgun Silvertip Hollow Points are completely different animals............................just sayin'.

'Bout all they have in common is that they are both bullets.

Here's a fairly comprehensive & recent test of a lot of bullets in several popular cartridges..............it's notable that Silvertips are not included, (except on the 380 Auto) probably because they are old(er) generation bullets, as someone mentioned.

Take it for what it's worth..............I'm generally using Fed HST's in most of my guns while using up a few Gold Dots or Win Ranger ammo in others.

Ammunition Testing

MM

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Another vote for the HST's for CC use. Started with the .380 believe it or not. Went to every other caliber from there except .38 Super.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The old rifle Silvertips & the handgun Silvertip Hollow Points are completely different animals............................just sayin'.

'Bout all they have in common is that they are both bullets.

Here's a fairly comprehensive & recent test of a lot of bullets in several popular cartridges..............it's notable that Silvertips are not included, (except on the 380 Auto) probably because they are old(er) generation bullets, as someone mentioned.

Take it for what it's worth..............I'm generally using Fed HST's in most of my guns while using up a few Gold Dots or Win Ranger ammo in others.

Ammunition Testing

MM

It's a competent load, but far from the best. I used it out of convenience, as it's about the only JHP I have found locally. In the grand scheme of things, I don't lose any sleep...I carry a .38 Super MAYBE twice a year. My LW Commander is a .45 ACP stoked with Speer Gold Dots.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I carry a 45 Colt stainless lightweight Comander made in the 70s. Don't carry it every day cause I have others that need work, like a Kimber 45 stainless Ultra carry.

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DW Guardian, HST's or Rangers, Remora holster

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DennisB
I carry a 45 Colt stainless lightweight Comander made in the 70s. Don't carry it every day cause I have others that need work, like a Kimber 45 stainless Ultra carry.

Dennis.

Colt makes a new 70 series Stainless Commander again. Wiley Clapp.

They are not Lightweight Commanders.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

I haven’t shot every silvertip in every caliber but, the ones I’ve shot and chronographed in 41 mag and 357 mag were not much over 1200 fps, did not expand or penetrate well when compared to other Bullets in the same class.

I have never tested the 357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips but the .41 Magnum was made mainly for a defensive load which is why the velocity is only in the low-to-mid 1200. Winchester wanted to load that would be more controllable. In the testing that I have done the bullet expands very well at that velocity and penetrates the exact same amount as other rounds and its class as in hollow points. CorBon has basically the same load running about 50 ft per second faster using the 170 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullet.

GG....I understand what you are saying about Silvertips but my theory with a .38 Super is I want as close to 357 Magnum velocities as possible. Otherwise I might as well just carry my Glock 19 and get 50% more carrying capacity.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have never tested the 357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips but the .41 Magnum was made mainly for a defensive load which is why the velocity is only in the low-to-mid 1200. Winchester wanted to load that would be more controllable. In the testing that I have done the bullet expands very well at that velocity and penetrates the exact same amount as other rounds and its class as in hollow points. CorBon has basically the same load running about 50 ft per second faster using the 170 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullet.

GG....I understand what you are saying about Silvertips but my theory with a .38 Super is I want as close to 357 Magnum velocities as possible. Otherwise I might as well just carry my Glock 19 and get 50% more carrying capacity.

Bob

I used 4 layers of denim in front of water soaked news print and the Silvio in both 357 & 41 magnum were slow, lacked penetration and good expansion. I was not impressed. The B.B. 170 grain JHC at 1530 fps out of my 4” M-57 was dam right impressive. Recoil to me was very manageable in the M-57.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have two unopened bags of Silvertip .45 Bullets. I can't even remember buying them. I doubt I will ever use them. Maybe for plinking loads just for the hell of it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Add me to the list...I carry a colt....I bought 5 colt 1911s cheap from a pawn shop after hurricane Katrina. They were pretty rough shape so I had a clean slate.....3 were LW commanders...the one I carry has been flat topped with groves..2 dot night sights hammer trigger beaver tail Wilson combat ...have had many grips on this gun now has California buckeye slim grips by Larry.. Painted it silver frame and black slide....also bobbed the grip....I have carried the gun since 2006 and it shows a lot of wear..I kinda like it like that...I use a bandara belt....no holster...I carry mostly right kidney but have a loop cross draw I switch to while driving...I buy the Duluth long tee shirts and it covers nicely...my son took one and my brother talked me out of the other...
Loads are 185 Montana golds to save some weight..
Plinking loads are cast 200 s over red dot at about 800 fps...they are a truncated cone and feed really nice in all my 1911s

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 11/30/17.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.