Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Well, the bill is headed to Trump's desk as part of the defense budget.

Specifies a miinimum number to be sold, so should happen this time.. hopefully. Wonder what they'll sell for?

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/11/21/congress-passes-bill-sale-milsurp-1911-pistols-cmp/

I wish McCain had no part in it and never called on Trump to sign the bill. It might not happen now.

McCain should have used his during his capture. At least he would have died an honorable man. Not a decrepit old self serving RINO fool like he is now.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Calhoun: Thanks for the heads up!
I will be saving up for one - and I also wonder what they will sell for?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I’m a little confused on what it takes to buy from CMP. Can anybody briefly describe the requirements. Hasbeen

Here ya go.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I’m a little confused on what it takes to buy from CMP. Can anybody briefly describe the requirements. Hasbeen

best thing is to google the civilian marksmanship program and they have all the requirements there.
U.S. citizen
be affiliated with a cmp organization, if not a club there is a garand club on the net that will qualify you.
a veteran, or, proof of some type of firearms training, a ccw permit works in that area.
it is not overwelming.
the thought is probably the rack grade around a 1000bill, those that are higher end will probably go through their auction.
I have seen some of the auction garands go for over 12k.
There is no question you can get a civilian 19lla1 better built at a cheaper cost.
But it will not have the cmp birth certificate, which has a certain cache to it.
I collect the darn things, and i don't need another one, but i am sure i will buy one.
as to the south korean guns, they almost made it a couple years ago, those were not lend lease, the koreans owned them. The deal was done until the hillery state dept killed it.
My understanding from knowing some of the details condition ran from brand new, to dragged behind a tank.
There are as i was told some of the drum garands, where they were greased up, and placed in a drum for storage.
they have carbines, and 1911's too.
here is what you need to know:

I think I qualify . Now all we have to do is wait for condition and price. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Here ya go.

I hope my gun club is CMP affiliated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If somebody here buys one and it shoots 5" low and about 4" right, that's the one I used to qualify with at Ft. Jackson... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Here ya go.

I hope my gun club is CMP affiliated.

if it's not, go online to the garand club, about 20bucks or so for the yearly magazine, published quarterly. That will take care of that.
if you want, they will notify cmp of your membership which covers that detail.
Cmp has been wonderfully uber for me through the years, and some mightyfine stuff has been sold through them.
few years ago the "german" carbines were returned and sold. These were carbines in patton's third army he gave to the germans.
they finally returned them and they were well maintained, much in the same condition as in 1945. Same with the italian "fat" carbines, the danish garands and so on.
All of these things have a cache to them. Yes you can buy a rra 1911a1 for about 400bucks. but it does not have a birth certificate with the gun showing it was from the United State Government. I will guarantee they will have no problem selling them.
I am definitely biased as i have been fascinated with them for years. but they were never intended to be target shooter guns. They were made to work under a period of national emergency, and they did work. At ten yards or so, i think they would still work. Actually a RRA is a better built gun than these, but that has little to do with it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/22/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what's kind of funny to be, and i am gonna stop posting on it, but it is funny. Some years back i was hot on any original WWII or WWI 1911. paying maybe under 500bucks for them. People were saying you are just throwing your money away. Try to buy one of them now. Same with the garands, carbines, and 1903 and 1903A3 rifles. Better than the stock market.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only US government 1911 I crave is uncles. First firearm I ever shot. I'll never get it as his son will. My SA RO will have to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

September 01, 2010 - Fox News

[Linked Image]

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America.

The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year. But it reversed course and banned the sale in March – a decision that went largely unnoticed at the time but that is now sparking opposition from gun rights advocates.

A State Department spokesman said the administration's decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands.

"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."

Gun control advocates praised the Obama administration for taking security seriously.

"Guns that can take high-capacity magazines are a threat to public safety," said Dennis Henigan of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Even though they are old, these guns could deliver a great amount of firepower. So I think the Obama administration's concerns are well-taken."

But gun rights advocates point out that possessing M1 rifles is legal in the United States -- M1s are semi-automatics, not machine guns, meaning the trigger has to be pulled every time a shot is fired -- and anyone who would buy a gun from South Korea would have to go through the standard background check.

"Any guns that retail in the United States, of course, including these, can only be sold to someone who passes the National Instant Check System," said David Kopel, research director at the conservative Independence Institute. "There is no greater risk from these particular guns than there is from any other guns sold in the United States."

M1 carbines can hold high-capacity ammunition clips that allow dozens of rounds to be fired before re-loading, but Chris Cox, chief lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, noted that is true about any gun in which an ammunition magazine can be inserted -- including most semi-automatics.

"Anything that accepts an external magazine could accept a larger capacity magazine," Cox said.

"But the average number of rounds fired in the commission of a crime is somewhere between 1 and 2 … this issue just shows how little the administration understands about guns."

He called the administration's decision "a de facto gun ban, courtesy of Hillary Clinton's State Department."

Asked why the M1s pose a threat, the State Department spokesman referred questions to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. ATF representatives said they would look into the question Monday afternoon, but on Wednesday they referred questions to the Justice Department. DOJ spokesman Dean Boyd referred questions back to the State Department.

According to the ATF Guidebook on Firearms Importation, it would normally be legal to import the M1s because they are more than 50 years old, meaning they qualify as "curios or relics." But because the guns were given to South Korea by the U.S. government, they fall under a special category that requires permission from the State Department before any sale.

Kopel said that he hopes the State Department spokesman's statement that it is working to "dispose" of the guns does not mean they want to melt them down.

"It seems to have this implication of destruction, which would be tremendously wasteful," he said. "These are guns that should be in the hands of American citizens for marksmanship and safety training."

Asked whether melting the guns down would be a good option, Henigan said: "Why let them into the country in the first place? If there is a legally sufficient way to keep them out, we think it's perfectly reasonable to do so."

Past administrations have also grappled with the issue of large-scale gun imports.

The Clinton administration blocked sales of M1s and other antiquated military weapons from the Philippines, Turkey and Pakistan. It also ended the practice of reselling used guns owned by federal agencies, ordering that they be melted down instead.

In contrast, 200,000 M1 rifles from South Korea were allowed to be sold in the U.S. under the Reagan administration in 1987.

A decision like that would be better for everyone, Cox said.

"M1s are used for target practice. For history buffs, they're highly collectible. We're going to continue to make sure that this backdoor effort that infringes not only on lawful commerce but on the Second Amendment is rectified."

Henigan disagrees.

"They clearly were used as military guns, and the fact that they likely can take high-capacity magazines makes them a special safety concern," he said.

The White House referred questions on the issue to the Pentagon, which referred questions to the U.S. Embassy in South Korea, which deferred back to the State Department.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In January 2016 the head of CMP said that the 1911's would probably start at $1000 and go up from there, depending on condition.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
In January 2016 the head of CMP said that the 1911's would probably start at $1000 and go up from there, depending on condition.

I'll pass, for sure, if that's the case.

Fair's fair, but it's not like the government didn't get their money's worth out of them.

I'd give them their money back for what they have in them though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, 1000 bucks would be a deal breaker for sure unless one had some particular historical value and was well vetted, like being able to prove it issued to some known figure such as Capt. Winters or Audie Murphy, which I think would be very hard to do at this date.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Armednfree
You have to realize that none of them will be in original condition with original parts. All of the will have been through a re-arsenal process at some point in time, and maybe several times. The last 1911's purchased by the military was in 1945 and they served on for 37 more years.

What you will get is a pieces parts gun.

So, to hold a piece of history in your hand, yeah I can see and have made such purchases. But as a shooter, no. As for any expectation of accuracy, hell no. Will they be cheap? not a damned chance.

For a shooter and on a budget you would be vastly better served by a basic Rock Island 1911 for under $400.

There will probably be a few that were issued to Generals and Admirals that are in good condition as well as some that spent decades in a ships locker and not worn out. What about Subs? They have small arms on board don't they?
Any that have not been re-arsenaled and are in high condition will probably be auctioned and they will bring crazy money.

There will be collectors sifting through any parts and magazines that turn up too. Two-tone mags, lanyard loop mags even holsters.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like i said earlier, not all those guns were lend lease and thus are NOT required to go back to the army and then cmp.
I know the name of the importer who was originally gonna get them when the deal fell through.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hope the bill passes and is signed AND, the prices are reasonable.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
There were 20 1911A1s in my arms room back on Ft. Bragg when I was in the Army in the waybackwhens. Six of them were functional, the rest were not. We had those six pistols to get our troops qualified. I used the company commander's issue pistol and qualified expert. The one I was issued was non-functional. I couldn't get any parts except the grip panels and magazines.. Period.

Being of sound mind, I went out to one of the local gunshops and bought a Colt Commander, in case we got deployed someplaceorother. I did NOT want to carry my issue pistol. If my butt depended on a pistol, I wanted one that worked. That Commander never puked, even though I was just learning how to handload at the time. Nice little pistol. I eventually bought a Government Model ('70 Series) that eventually got turned into a compensated pistol for IPSC, but that Commander started me down the 1911 road, and I've never got very far off track.

But I don't want a CMP 1911A1, I just don't think they're worth the money for what they are. Unless it was Audie Murphy's, or even better, Alvin York's.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Well, the bill is headed to Trump's desk as part of the defense budget.

Specifies a miinimum number to be sold, so should happen this time.. hopefully. Wonder what they'll sell for?

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/11/21/congress-passes-bill-sale-milsurp-1911-pistols-cmp/

Kinda nice its happening now.. if it had been tried under a Hillary Presidency, you know she would have had
all of them destroyed....tons of history and pride would have gone out the window...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They'd surely sell at a certain price point and there are probably some collectibles in there, but the general issue ones have to be pretty worn out by now. The one I qualified with in 1972 rattled like crazy and wouldn't hold a 4" group at 15 yards slow fire, but it did go bang every time I and the other 5 or 6 guys using it pulled the trigger.

Still cool that they're putting them up for sale. Gives me hope for those Korean Garands... wink

With you there.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Originally Posted by Szumi
The only US government 1911 I crave is uncles. First firearm I ever shot. I'll never get it as his son will. My SA RO will have to do.

I shot my first Government issue in 1958/59 at about age twelve. It was loaned to my brother in law by his brother in law who had two of them. Sometime in the 90's it was given back to the original owner. I contacted him and was able to buy it after all those years. Near mint Ithica that was shot rarely during from 58 until the nineties. Think I may have shot one magazine or cartridges since obtaining it. Owned one with the original military sales receipt from 1959 from Redstone arsenal. Cost was $12.00 for the pistol and $5.00 for handling and shipping. Still have a copy of the receipt. Sold the pistol to a nephew who hounded me for it. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trained and qualified with one from MP school on through to getting issued Berettas about 5 years later. Having handled many, I'm not really interested in buying one, especially when I can get a Ruger SR1911 for less than the asking price of a worn-out rattle trap GI specimen.

However, the warm fuzzies I get from the fact that the Enemy is having fits from the "govt putting more guns on the street" is priceless. Never mind that the average illiterate, low-IQ, feral urban 'hoodrat can't even spell CMP.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.