Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My son was lucky and burned 15 points to draw a Shiras moose tag in Montana this year.

He has more patience than his old man. I would have been done on this day.

Day 1:

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As usual, great footage. Can't wait to see the finale.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome footage. Always look forward to seeing your hunts.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was cool - thanks for bringing us along.

Lookin' forward to Day 2. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day 2:

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thank you for sharing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That’s so awesome to share a OIL hunt like that with your son! I really enjoyed your podcast that covered this hunt. It’s nice to have a visual to go along with the long version

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BigFin: Randy that was just an amazing Hunt and a wonderful trophy your son Mathew harvested!
Good for both of you and thank you for sharing that beautifully filmed video with us.
I spend a lot of time in that very valley every year fishing for Cutthroat Trout, Grayling and even caught a Burbot (freshwater Ling Cod) a couple miles west of your Hunt location.
That valley IS one of the most beautiful in all of Montana (the world in fact!) and I never tire of going there.
I have Hunted Elk there abouts, Coyote, Wolves and even taken several Rock Chucks from that valley.
Not far from your viewing spot we were enjoying the view two years ago when we started seeing Moose and when we moved on there were five mature Bulls in view at once.
Mathew did well drawing that tag!
I think I am up to 18 bonus points for Moose now and hope to be drawn once before I cross the great divide.
I have been along on MANY Moose Hunts here in Montana and as far as numbers of animals seen, beauty of surroundings and quality of the Bull harvested Mathews Hunt is simply tops!
By the way I have also seen Grizzlies in that valley and watched them chase Elk there as well.
A friend of mine trapped a Wolverine at the base of the mountain right behind (to the south) where you parked your truck and spotted from.
We see Wolverine tracks from time to time in that end of the valley.
In early summer when the willows are well leafed out as we travel up and down the creeks fishing that you crossed we often will get right up on Moose that are bedded in the shade - quite startling when a big Bull appears right in front of you!
You are right on when you say it is "self evident" why you (and I!) live in Montana.
A person only lives ONCE!
Thank you so much for sharing the video - thats the best thing I have see on the fire in a LONG time!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'll 2nd. that!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BigFin: Randy that was just an amazing Hunt and a wonderful trophy your son Mathew harvested!
Good for both of you and thank you for sharing that beautifully filmed video with us.
I spend a lot of time in that very valley every year fishing for Cutthroat Trout, Grayling and even caught a Burbot (freshwater Ling Cod) a couple miles west of your Hunt location.
That valley IS one of the most beautiful in all of Montana (the world in fact!) and I never tire of going there.
I have Hunted Elk there abouts, Coyote, Wolves and even taken several Rock Chucks from that valley.
Not far from your viewing spot we were enjoying the view two years ago when we started seeing Moose and when we moved on there were five mature Bulls in view at once.
Mathew did well drawing that tag!
I think I am up to 18 bonus points for Moose now and hope to be drawn once before I cross the great divide.
I have been along on MANY Moose Hunts here in Montana and as far as numbers of animals seen, beauty of surroundings and quality of the Bull harvested Mathews Hunt is simply tops!
By the way I have also seen Grizzlies in that valley and watched them chase Elk there as well.
A friend of mine trapped a Wolverine at the base of the mountain right behind (to the south) where you parked your truck and spotted from.
We see Wolverine tracks from time to time in that end of the valley.
In early summer when the willows are well leafed out as we travel up and down the creeks fishing that you crossed we often will get right up on Moose that are bedded in the shade - quite startling when a big Bull appears right in front of you!
You are right on when you say it is "self evident" why you (and I!) live in Montana.
A person only lives ONCE!
Thank you so much for sharing the video - thats the best thing I have see on the fire in a LONG time!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks, VG. That is a special place. Plenty of grizz around there, which is why all were carrying bear spray. We could have shot whitetails, elk, ducks, sage grouse, and our camera guy did shoot an antelope (for another day). But for this trip, it was all Alces. And, I couldn't find a better place or tag to spend a hunt with my son.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, also.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Happy thanksgiving Randy I heard your podcast on this when it came out so I looked for your skeptical response to their claim of a bull that cracked me up!

My son wore my Leupold hat to school the other day and when I asked where it was he responded something like, “Oh dad don’t worry I didn’t lose yer Newberg fanboy hat!” Kinda cracked me up...

Fantastic OIL hunt right there love those father/son adventures thanks for sharing nice work as always!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Randy - thanks for that wonderful video. Watched it after my post-turkey nap on Thanksgiving Day. I hope to someday hunt Shiras with my son.

Loved the father-son banter, and the LACK of all that whooping and hollering stuff that I see on so many hunting videos. You two showed a quiet appreciation for the success of the hunt, and respect for that magnificent bull.

Also looked like the meat came out first, then the antlers & skull. I like that a lot.

Congrats to both of you, on a mighty fine father-son hunt.

Regards, Guy

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't know much about judging moose antlers,but that is a dang nice bull there!

Congrats to your son!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that's really special hunting with your children.
Congratulations to you and your son..
Count your blessings!

Looks like you all had a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell yes Randy!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I watched the videos (parts 1 and 2) last night. Nicely done! I like the kid's patience.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As always first class videos

thanks for sharing them with the 'fire

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic experience, thank you for sharing.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That was fantastic to watch. Thank you for sharing an adventure in beautiful country. Congratulations to Matthew on a very nice Shiras moose.

Rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those photos of packing the moose made me realize why 1 moose is enough for me. Them suckers are big & heavy. Nice bull, Conglads. Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.