Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Now if we can just get bow hunters to punch tags for non-recovered deer.............
. Hmm. still seen more lost deer to gun shots than archery shots. but then I hunted with a higher class of archers IMHO. Arrows kill REALLY well. And when they do just clip one, they don't kill em slowly from infection, they heal quick and clean.

Of course good archers know this.

But I'm good with blood and you are done. I just don't shoot anymore unless I'm over confident on the shot. I'd rather em walk than my wound something.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do y'all count crippled/lost ducks in your limit?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Now if we can just get bow hunters to punch tags for non-recovered deer.............

Yep. I love to shoot my bow, but I don't hunt with it for this very reason. I've got two buds at church that always claim to have made killing shots on deer that can't be recovered.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Done hunting yes, leave camp, no. Do they have to leave camp after successfully tagging out? don't understand that part.

As any outfitter, what's their #1 complaint about client hunters, bet you more often than not, it's shooting ability. If it's a western hunt, probably toss up shooting ability of physical condition.

On my Moose Hunt my Guide ask me what Rifle I was shooting when I told him a 6.5-06 he looked at me funny. I explained it was basically a .270 he asked what scope. I told him a fixed 6 power he grinned and said "We are going to get along just fine" He asked how far I felt comfortable shooting and I said 50 yds. He laughed and said he would see what he could do. I killed my Moose at 50 yds off hand with a head shot as that is all I was offered. He about flipped out he said he has never had a hunter make a shot that quick and off hand he said most want the shooting sticks and take forever. I said I wanted the sticks and more time but it wasn't offered. Later made a 225 yd shot on a wolf off of a rest. He said his biggest gripe is guys spend all the money to hunt buy the best gear and the biggest guns and scopes and then can't make a simple 100 yd shot at a standing moose with or without a rest. Other 2 hunters in camp were using .300 win mags and big Swarvorski scopes that topped out at 18x. One shot his bull in the ass because he had his scope on 18x the guide had to finish it. The other wounded a bull on the last day and they never found it.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A local plantation has a policy that if a hunter pulls the trigger on a buck...and the buck is not found...it costs him $1000 dollars. This plantation is large, is managed for trophy buck and has been for many years, and routinly produces 150 + class bucks. Hunters know that going in...it has been proven to be an effective cure for "buck fever".

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If that's the outfitter's policy, then that's his policy. You are free to hire him or not.

Does no good to bitch about it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
yes

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with the done hunting but don't have to leave camp group.

If you hunt a lot and pull the trigger a lot eventually you will miss and/or wound game and not recover it.

The animals I know I hit well enough to kill but never found bother me to this day.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s more to this post.

Gunwizard musta paid for a hunt. Wounded a deer and it poured rain before he could find it. And had to pay, but thinks he shouldn’t because it washed the trail away.... then went back to camp and got drunk and had to leave. 🤣

Then someone at camp. Successful, felt bad for the raving lunatic ranting about i had good blood, and gave him a hindquarter.

Hence the cost to process thread. 🤣😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
No question about it, draw blood= punch your tag. Then you search for the animal until you no longer can.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by gunswizard
So you're O.K. if in spite of your best efforts the deer is not recovered you're done?

How many deer do you feel like you deserve to shoot? Since this is a what if thread.....what if you shoot two deer that your guid isn't able to recover for you? Bright side is you'll save on paying someone to process your meat for you.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Yes,
What is wrong with that policy?

Exactamundo!

Number one complaint with guides Ive been with is clients cant shoot. And if you watch the others in camp, you'll see why....

No problem with that policy at all..indeed I prefer it..It separates some of the wheat from the chaff..

Last edited by ingwe; 11/24/17.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think it's a good rule as well.

As far as the wounding rate for gun vs archery, one study found the wounding rate by archers was 50% higher than gun hunters. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3781397

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Done hunting...yeah....leave camp ....no Somehow, I don't think I'd much like to hunt somewhere where they let bozos shoot up all the deer (or whatever) they want....that's what it would amount to.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"bozos shoot up all the deer (or whatever) they want....that's what it would amount to."

C'mon, man, do you really believe that statement?

I'm generally a conformist, I guess it's the Army in me. But, I have a contrarian viewpoint on this topic.

Unfortunate things happen. Do I think it's fair some outfitter, or worse yet, some internet armchair hunter, to take some morally superior ethical high-ground and pull a hunter from what may be a once in a lifetime hunt? Absolutely not. Seems kind of pretentious to me.

Of course, like anytime you shoot at game, every effort should be made to find the animal. But the onus should be on the outfitter to find the shot game. If he cannot, I would presume that it was merely a grazing shot, of sorts, and allow the hunter another opportunity to fulfill what may be his/her dream hunt.

I also wouldn't hunt with an outfitter who financially "penalizes" a hunter for shooting a racked buck whose worth is valued below some man-made "score." It's your hunt. It's the outfitter's job to provide a service, i.e., to put you on game.

Here's the disclaimer, when I pull the trigger, [bleep] dies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm not paying any outfitter to hunt any animal. sorry but i'm very happy with the animals i hunt at home.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'm not paying any outfitter to hunt any animal. sorry but i'm very happy with the animals i hunt at home.

How long does your deer hunting season last (with firearm) there in VA? Isn't it like 7 days?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends. ML: 2 weeks Regular firearms: 2 weeks to about 7, depending on the county. Different bag limits and either-sex rules apply as well depending on county and whether you hunt on public or private land. Takes a bit of study to figure it all out. Some areas have Earn-a-buck rules and antler restrictions too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That’s why you shoot the animal in the shoulders. They are dead right there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think every outfitter I've used has a policy that if you draw blood then you pay. Every effort will be made to recover the deer, including a tracking dog (on your dime). I'm sure they would let you come back if the deer lives and shows back up. I've never heard of one saying you're done, get out. Ask them about how well the average client can shoot and you'll get a better picture of the reason behind the policy.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.