Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are 2 ways to get them to run flawlessly. One is buy a top name that seems to never have bad parts( which I pretty well assume has to have some failure rate sooner or later)

The other is buy decent stuff, at a decent price and trouble shoot if or when needed. The carrier has never bothered me much. The bolt has. And as you all know, I can be talked into trying the most expensive and the cheapest.... I've yet to have any issues on any part of the BCG other than normal wear.

YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...come to think of it , Ive never owned a BCG that failed , or didnt run well ? and I've used / owned more than my fair share. Call me Lucky I guess.

.... like tears in the rain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You don't need fancy coatings.

I pretty much exclusively run Colt bolts in my guns.

My spares are all Colt.

I purchased a bunch of them years back while at the factory during an armor's class and am very thankful that I had the foresight to do so.

That said, If I had access to FN bolts or BCGs, I would not hesitate to run them.

BCM makes good quality stuff as well, and people I trust speak favorably of them, but I don't have one personally.

PSA stuff is all over the map. They have all manner of things advertised, but I consider them the Walmart of AR-15s. A total crapshoot.

Every now and then you can get some good products like uppers with FN barrels, but as for the rest, who knows.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You don't need fancy coatings.

I pretty much exclusively run Colt bolts in my guns.

My spares are all Colt.

I purchased a bunch of them years back while at the factory during an armor's class and am very thankful that I had the foresight to do so.

That said, If I had access to FN bolts or BCGs, I would not hesitate to run them.

BCM makes good quality stuff as well, and people I trust speak favorably of them, but I don't have one personally.

PSA stuff is all over the map. They have all manner of things advertised, but I consider them the Walmart of AR-15s. A total crapshoot.

Every now and then you can get some good products like uppers with FN barrels, but as for the rest, who knows.

The BCG is important IMO.

I've pretty much stopped buying anything at all from PSA as I can usually get the same brand name elsewhere & by the time cost & shipping are considered, likely at or near the same price.

One can never go wrong with Colt or FN & I consider them more or less industry standard & they have been for years; I've had 2 Colts, no FN's.

As for the actual BCG's that I currently own, I have 3 from KAC (that came as complete guns with proprietary bolts), 1 BCM, 1 Noveske, 2 Rise Armament & 2 Rubber City Armory (RCA, who make the bolts for many other manufacturers/re-sellers including Noveske).

Had a headspace problem (too short) with an American Defense bolt at one time, but that was with a match chambered Wylde gun so it's entirely possible the bolt was OK, maybe just a bit snug on the barrel's chamber length. The machining & BCG fit was as you would expect from AD.

Never have had any issues related to performance or breakage with any of them..............yet.

For a few extra $$$, I will always buy a proven product from a reputable company; my next one will be from Young Mfg. & will be for a 6mm or 6.5 gun as I think that they are near the top of the heap in quality.

MM

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Right now I have 3 Colt BCG's and 2 LaRue contract BCG's I think. All I will buy are mil spec.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

The carrier has never bothered me much. The bolt has.

Same here. I'm happy and willing to pay more for a stronger bolt, but I'm not as concerned about the carrier, as long as it's dimensionally correct, chrome lined, and properly hardened for durability. (They are generally case hardened BTW, hard on the surface and soft inside like a good cookie.)

If I'm going to pay extra for a bolt carrier, it needs to have some special features besides standard mil-spec, such as adjustable gas like a Bootleg carrier. I go for light weight carriers too and sometimes side chargers, but I machine all those features myself.

Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
...come to think of it , Ive never owned a BCG that failed , or didnt run well ? and I've used / owned more than my fair share. Call me Lucky I guess.

That's my experience as well. The only problems I've encountered were machining burrs inside the retaining pin hole, other than that I've never even broken a bolt, despite having a bunch of them and a tendency to load hot. I don't buy bottom quality parts though, and set up my rifles to avoid things like bolt failures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
The failures I have seen most are gas key screws loosing and in a few cases, breaking. If the key gets loose for any reason the gun will short cycle and fail to function. Easy fix, but some men don't know what to look for.

Next would be oblong cam pin holes in bolts that have been used in full auto a LOT, which heats them and lets them cool over and over. I have never seen one fail personally, but I had a friend in the armory that had 6 of them in a box that had cracked through the cam pin holes. These were all from un-maintained m16s that should have had the bolts and barrels replaced long before this kind of thing happens, but in some countries such maintenance is just never done. I have seen the bores on many of those rifles and the rifling is shot out in front of the throats so you can make a guess how many rounds they had fired.

I have seen 4 broken extractors. All broken at the hooks.
One broken ejector. This one broke in half right where one shoulder of the pin cut-out is.
One broken firing pin tip.

I have a friend that has an Colt AR (Civilian gun) that had one lug break off, but he kept shooting it for a few years. It didn't seem to do any harm at all. I wanted to replace it and he said he's let me sometime, but for about 2 years he just kept using it as it was.
He finally got a new bolt and put it in.

The problems you listed can be worse on cheap parts. So it sounds like the answer to his question may be "yes"..... Depending on what he considers expensive. Colt / BCM BCGs aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I buy colt, bcm or dd I have one stag in a 6.8 which is a hunting rifle. On the other hand its all good if anyone wants to put a POS BCG into their weapon, its kind of a Darwinian thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you guys worry way way too much about all this. Are you seriously going to engage the Taliban in Afghanistan? The fact is the average AR15 will never see 500 rounds. Most guys are lucky to put 2 boxes of shells through a gun in a year. a freaking PTAC bolt from palmetto is probably going to be just fine and if it aint. So what, fix it!. I actually think it would be cool to break a part more often just to see something other than good operation happen. You probably should have a backup gun anyways if your that concerned about it. Frankly the bigger show stopper IMO is a stuck case where the rim gets yanked off when you try to eject it. Not a big deal if you have a cleaning rod with your, OR better yet a backup gun. The bolt carrier goes bad just grab rifle number 2, or if your 2 cheap for that you can always carry a spare BCG.

Never have a problem with my BCG's I use RRA pretty much exclusively, both in chrome and standard. If I have a problem I can just grab the other gun, OR use the BCG that is in the other rifle and keep rocking on. I do prefer the BCG to be broken in though. I like to put about 300 rounds though a BCG before I really start to like it. especially on a standard black non coated one, it really helps it slide nice and slick. Chrome isn't as big a deal on that, but I still like the chrome to see some rounds through it too.

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lol. First AR problems

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only had one problem that was partially due to a BCG. The gun was getting sluggish and sometimes it wouldn't lock the bolt back. I replaced the gas tube and bolt and now it works fine. Neither one alone fixed it. My only guess with the bolt is that the tail got thin. I really have no idea why, but it had 10,000+ rounds on it and I sometimes would scrape the tail to clean it.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is scraping the carbon off on the tail a must do thing? I've read that some guys say it's a must do otherwise you'll have malfunctions. Other folks say they never do it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you should scrape the bolt tail.
When I clean it, I drop it a ultrasonic cleaner with some water & Simple Green. That strips it to bare metal.

I can't imagine that scraping takes much off of a hard bolt tail, but it just seems to me that everyone I've heard who had a problem with one, scraped it.

Last edited by BarryC; 11/23/17.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, he bought this one from Palmetto.
Premium 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG with Carpenter 158 Bolt - No Logo
I think he will be fine, but if not he can save money for another.
Carry on.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you just want to plink tin cans or even the occasional critter, buy what you want. If it’s job is to protect you or others, it pay to buy quality. I’ve never seen a bushmaster gas key that was properly staked, I’ve seen two DPMS bolts break at the cam pin hole on the same string of fire. I’ve seen hundreds of thousands of rounds fired using colt, BCM and DD bcgs. I’ve seen one broken colt bolt and one BCM that caused problems. We passed them around because we don’t see that often. On the other hand, no one blinks an eye when a cheap one goes tits up.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Next up we can discuss making a Las Angeles tactical vest by cutting strips out of truck steel belted radials and bolting the tread strategically to a photographers vest.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Next up we can discuss making a Las Angeles tactical vest by cutting strips out of truck steel belted radials and bolting the tread strategically to a photographers vest.

Yes, you are correct!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I actually think it would be cool to break a part more often

Suddenly all of your other posts make sense.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I actually think it would be cool to break a part more often

Suddenly all of your other posts make sense.

Or at least puts them in proper context.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the cowboy is back! Well it looks like the electroshock therapy did not help him at all.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 264mag, 160user, 2500HD, 67 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.