Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Had a 25 yr patient come in for her 6 mo diabetic retinal exam. Shes a AA who is overweight and several years past 75 but mentally sharp.

During exam she asked if i could give her something for headaches, right side, hurt to chew, temple to ear. I started questioning her about it and come to find out she had gone to the ER for the same kind of headache, but worse, about 10-11 days ago.

Well, what did they find. She couldnt remember but they gave her some pills and an injection and she got well, for several days but she said they made an appt for her with a neurologist. The ER doc said he would only give her enough pills in the rx for 1 week.

So, callec pharmacy. Sure enough, they were Prednisone. I asked her if the doc at the ER said anything about Temporal Arteritis. Bingo. She remembered that name. So, she had probably been given an injection of methylprednisolone.

Next question was when she ran out of the pills. Last week. When is the appt with the neurologist? 12 more days. Unreal.

How can they give meds for one week when the neuro check is 4 wks later. She would probably be dead or at least blind by then.

I called the neruos office and talked to his RN. Its 4:00 PM.

Good news. Send her to the ER and he will see her there in 2 hours.

PTL. Only by the grace of God was she scheduled for a diabetic exam today.

Temporal headaches in the elderly are often a semi-emergency. The vascular inflammation can back down to join other arteries and then progress up to the optic nerve or brain.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/21/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The doc @ ER needs to have his azz reamed by a pro! Thank God she was lucky enough to see some one who was alert, and cared! Hope she's OK.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Medical malfeasance!!

Kills more a year than firearms I believe.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Had a 25 yr patient come in for her 6 mo diabetic retinal exam. Shes a AA who is overweight and several years past 75 but mentally sharp.

During exam she asked if i could give her something for headaches, right side, hurt to chew, temple to ear. I started questioning her about it and come to find out she had gone to the ER for the same kind of headache, but worse, about 10-11 days ago.

Well, what did they find. She couldnt remember but they gave her some pills and an injection and she got well, for several days but she said they made an appt for her with a neurologist. The ER doc said he would only give her enough pills in the rx for 1 week.

So, callec pharmacy. Sure enough, they were Prednisone. I asked her if the doc at the ER said anything about Temporal Arteritis. Bingo. She remembered that name. So, she had probably been given an injection of methylprednisolone.

Next question was when she ran out of the pills. Last week. When is the appt with the neurologist? 12 more days. Unreal.

How can they give meds for one week when the neuro check is 4 wks later. She would probably be dead or at least blind by then.

I called the neruos office and talked to his RN. Its 4:00 PM.

Good news. Send her to the ER and he will see her there in 2 hours.

PTL. Only by the grace of God was she scheduled for a diabetic exam today.

Temporal headaches in the elderly are often a semi-emergency. The vascular inflammation can back down to join other arteries and then progress up to the optic nerve or brain.

Doc,

I may give you lots of guff on our favorite subject, but I have not doubt you are a fine Eye Doc.
Good Job helping this lady. You work a difficult location for a difficult demographic.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
AS, i sincerely appreciate your kind words. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving and may God bless you and yours.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It's not always that obvious in the ER for us. Although sometimes easier to get tests quickly, I have limited studies I can do at my disposal. I can't even order a MRI at all at one facility or obtain a ultrasound after 2:45. Been ER for 10 years now. FNP. Patients are mostly vague and cannot give reliable history it seems. I agree if that was the diagnosis they should have done a better job making sure she had higher dose prednisone for the time to get into her neuro or PCP. PCP do a terrible job getting patients in quickly and say just go to the ER rather than leave openings to see their own patients it seems. Not calling you out so don't take it that way. Seems you are a good provider who cares. Just in general.i appreciate you informing everyone to watch for this.

I see patients every day for things the PCP should have worked up or seen the patient for. The medical assistant tells patient we can't see you today go to ER. It's very taxing on us as ER is already overflowing. I personally saw 31 patients today with two strokes( transferred one to neuro interventionalist and gave TPA to the other), a respiratory failure I intubated, and a STEMI. Placed 104 sutures today on 5 patients. Busy doesn't even begin to explain it. Had two who said BP was still high after PCP changed meds and were told by nurse at PCP office to come to ER with a BP 160ish/100ish. Absolutely no reason to send to the ER for that.

My grandmother just got released Sunday from university of TN after seeing PCP twice in one week for blurred vision and headaches. New headaches at that. After finally calling me about her symptoms. Sent her straight to my buddy at UT ER. Giant cell areteritis(temporal arteritis)and although not blind she is now visually impaired. Guess I'm still a alittle hot that something obvious wasn't caught, just as you are it seems

Once again I'm not calling you out, just telling the non medical member the ER is very taxed and busy. We don't have the time to work every patient up with extensive work ups for non life threatening issues or people die in the lobby. Seen that before also. Most people should or could be seen by PCP versus the ER

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hell, our slit lamp is out of service and has been for 4 months. Didn't realize you were eye doc. Just venting about a lot of PCP. We are lucky we have a OPTHO group who takes call and are willing to see patients in ER for true eye emergencies, and works them in as needed. Now ENT, oralmaxilofacial, and neuro we have no access to. Catch lab is only available till 3 if no one on table. You could say limited resources at times

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
AS, i sincerely appreciate your kind words. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving and may God bless you and yours.

Thanks Doc!!
I appreciate your kind thoughts.
Have a great Thanksgiving. Hope you get to spend it with family.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done Jag 😎!

I don't recall ever getting crossways with you on here but even if I did, what a guy does trumps what him or a whole herd of natterers might say.

Ya did good by that Lady., congrats!

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Kevin, i figure the ER doc had her scheduled with the neuro guy and was not informed of the timeline. I would have sent her to her PCP but she is retiring and only seeing patients 2 days a week. Sometimes things just fall through the cracks. I have never seen anyone be perfect all the time, including me.

No offense to those in the ER who have saved the bacon of me and mine a more than a few times, from asthma attacks as a kid to a car wreck as a passenger and a ruptured kidney cyst from an injury in high school and just last year on a weekend after problems developed from bowel surgery.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/22/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife and I were in a wreck just a little over a year ago. We hit a deer, and the collision totaled out our 2014 Explorer, as every air bag went off. When the air bag that was under the dash on her side deployed, the plastic that was holding it in place hit her lower leg, cutting it. It wasn't a deep cut, but the paramedic that responded to the accident thought she needed to go to the ER. She did, and the ER doctor never cleaned the wound, or really ever looked at it closely. He just smeared some ointment on it, and sent her home. About a week later, the leg was infected, and it took over 3 months to get it cleared up. That doctor failed to do his job, anyway you look at it. On the flip side, I've also had some positive experiences in the ER. It just depends on who is on duty.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yea sorry for seeming heated a little. Just venting as I am going through this dilemma with my grandmother and it can be frustrating seeing people miss such serious but easily diagnosed illnesses. For those of us that take pride in what we do and truly are there to help people it makes our job much more stressful and difficult to care for the patient when someone drops the ball. Thanks for all you do for your patients

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You sure caught a curve ball for that lady, Doc. Good on ya.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Job Doc!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can’t imagine the responsibility that comes with being a doctor, it’s a knife that cuts deep both ways

Hard to imagine the good feeling jag must have about now helping that lady to dodge a serious bullet

Also hard to imagine what it’d be like to be the er Doc if jag hadn’t caught this.

Not for me, no thanks

. Grateful for all the great medical care available these days and the med professionals that put care at the forefront of their work

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Medical malfeasance!!

Mike

Far, far more.

Just remember...50% of the doctors out there graduated at the bottom of the class.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love the 50% rule. lol

Insurance companies and the gooberment has the medical field all bound up.
I think those two could use some help.

Lord help us all.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Medical malfeasance!!

Mike

Far, far more.

Just remember...50% of the doctors out there graduated at the bottom of the class.
But not a single one of them came from the bottom 50% of their undergraduate class. Those who get in aren't dumb but a few sure have an attitude. Most are great people and very conscientious but there are those few...

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 70 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.