Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They were all over us yesterday.

Kids and I popped this shaggy guy by our beaver pond stand when he came in with about 7 more identical siblings. I offered my oldest daughter her rifle and she said she was bucks-only for that hunt, and wanted to watch me do it. You don't have to ask me twice. The 120TTSX 7mm-08 youth load dropped him right there (2,600fps).

[Linked Image]

At the same time, my buddy was walking in to his stand on the other side of the property and walked up on this massive guy for a stare-down at 5yds. It dropped in its tracks to a Fusion from his 7mm-08.

[Linked Image]

The kids and I heard even more shooting in the distance at dark. It turns out my buddy was slipping out without his flashlight on and crossed another pig herd. He dropped a big sow and hit another pig that ran off, both with his rifle. When he walked up to the sow, the herd came back out, pretty much at his feet, so he started shooting them with his .45auto. We wound up with a truckload of ugly.

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
WOW!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a lot of pork!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Y'all have way too much fun..... laugh

Golden............
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Man that is awesome nice work!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like ya'll had a great time!

I had to laugh at "wooly boogers", that's the term my Mother used for Hippies....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Holy cow! Looks like all those hogs bent the tailgate of your truck!

Great hunt JPro!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Love it!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well done JPro!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great stuff !

Sometimes hogs can seem like the dumbest animals on the planet others can make you believe God wants them to live .

Soaking them in Sprite soft drink makes them taste even better - a trick I read - just saying ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Sometimes hogs can seem like the dumbest animals on the planet others can make you believe God wants them to live .

Soaking them in Sprite soft drink makes them taste even better - a trick I read - just saying ..

They've got to be built tough if they are going to be stupid, I agree.

And I'll try to remember the Sprite trick. Perhaps we should soak them a few days. Does it soften the fur and/or kill the stink?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s always fun when there’s a little pretty.... thrown in with the truck load of ugly. Good on you for hunting with your daughter.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bringing up that little lady well. Good on you for reducing the pork herd.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the way to pork-um-up!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by ol_mike

They've got to be built tough if they are going to be stupid, I agree.

And I'll try to remember the Sprite trick. Perhaps we should soak them a few days. Does it soften the fur and/or kill the stink?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sprite took the gamey taste out of a huge sow I killed early this year . Cover the meat with ice and pour in a couple of 3ltr's .
It doesn't have to be Sprite , anything like it will do , PigglyWiggly/Walmart brand sprite type drink will work just fine .

Haven't tried it on the fur [laf] but I'm in the market for a huge boar hog hide that I'm going to tan or have tanned , plus skull for a rug . Conversation piece , bullet hole won't be sewn closed ..
A woolly booger would be perfect ..

Everytime I shoot a hog and walk up to look at it , dragging one out , loading and skinning them I get an odd feeling that this is a critter that needs to be shot . There's just something about them that makes me get that feeling . I don't feel that way about any other critter -coyote/crow/deer/praire dog- nothing - only a hog .

Last edited by ol_mike; 11/24/17.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh I definitely love putting bullets in those things, and never feel bad about it, so I get what you mean. And I'll have to remember the Sprite trick on the meat before I cook one next time. The image of soaking a whole dead hog with a 2 liter was just too grin-worthy not to go there.....

Strangely enough, that biggest boar we got didn't really have much smell, while the shaggy black one was very potent. It wasn't even half the size of the big one. This is why we generally only keep the sows for the table, as it seems like a roll of the dice with the boars sometimes.

And while we shot pigs, my dad got this guy. Seems like we got everything but a deer that day. Guess we could have had a good varmint gumbo....lol.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Coyote Boudan?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do know that our gut/carcass dump area looks like an elephant graveyard right now.

I got a nice medium-sized sow this evening for the smoker and let the girls track her down. Of course they let me drag her out.... grin

A 185gr .338 TTSX actually knocked her down with just a lung shot, but she ran about 25 yards afterward. Also had four 20-30lb piglets lined up for a quadruple-shot but it was vetoed because they were "just too cute to shoot". Girls.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good work JP - that's a pile of piggys.

'round here wooly boogers are orange & black caterpillars . . .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like fun! Shoot a few more!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.