Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Sometimes in our busy lives we always hear about a bad product but seldom do we hear about outstanding customer service. Earlier this week I picked up a new rifle built on a Stiller Predator action, Bartlein barrel, Shilen trigger, and a McMillan Hunter Edge in 6.5 Creedmoor. Due to work, it was a couple of days before I could get to the range to shoot. At the range all went well. The first six shots got it sighted in and was very happy with the group. But the next shot the rifle failed to cock. Huhhh? Must have been me. Worked the bolt and the rifle cocked. Next round the rifle failed to cock again. Then it got to the point where the rifle would not stay cocked. The trigger had felt good. The safety worked. No bang!!! It was after 5:00 pm but I thought I would give Shilen a call. To my surprise, Bill Hull, owner of Shilen Barrels and the maker of Shilen Triggers answered the phone. We went through a trouble shoot, but still the rifle would not stay cocked. Bill said his trigger guy, David had left for the day but gets to work at 6:00 am and he would have him waiting for me if I would drive the 35 miles to Shilen Barrels in Ennis, Texas. I pulled into the driveway a few minutes after 6:00 and Dave met me at the door. He agreed the sear would not stay cocked and was probably the trigger. Dave tore the trigger apart and found a small flake of paint that had worked its way probably from the stock into the trigger sear. The trigger was put back together and the sear stayed cocked on multiple bolt closing. No charge for the help and a nice discount on the next trigger too. This is what I call good and prompt customer service that took care of their product and their customer. Thanks Bill and Dave!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know there are more popular barrels out there but for the whole shop and what they do...Shilen is hard to beat. I had a house fire some years ago and a Remington 722 was partially burned. I sent it to Shilen on the advice of a friend. They ran a hardness check on the gun, replaced the springs and sent it back w/a clean bill of health. I've been shooting that rifle 35 years now w/never a hiccup. They are great people to deal with. powdr

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They have been doing business this way for years. Good People!

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good to hear.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They make more customers when they treat people well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always had great luck with Shilen barrels and service. Glad to see it is continuing.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have never had to use their customer service, but the two barrels I have gotten from them have been top notch. Quality and good service, can't be beaten.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Texasdude29
Sometimes in our busy lives we always hear about a bad product but seldom do we hear about outstanding customer service. Earlier this week I picked up a new rifle built on a Stiller Predator action, Bartlein barrel, Shilen trigger, and a McMillan Hunter Edge in 6.5 Creedmoor. Due to work, it was a couple of days before I could get to the range to shoot. At the range all went well. The first six shots got it sighted in and was very happy with the group. But the next shot the rifle failed to cock. Huhhh? Must have been me. Worked the bolt and the rifle cocked. Next round the rifle failed to cock again. Then it got to the point where the rifle would not stay cocked. The trigger had felt good. The safety worked. No bang!!! It was after 5:00 pm but I thought I would give Shilen a call. To my surprise, Bill Hull, owner of Shilen Barrels and the maker of Shilen Triggers answered the phone. We went through a trouble shoot, but still the rifle would not stay cocked. Bill said his trigger guy, David had left for the day but gets to work at 6:00 am and he would have him waiting for me if I would drive the 35 miles to Shilen Barrels in Ennis, Texas. I pulled into the driveway a few minutes after 6:00 and Dave met me at the door. He agreed the sear would not stay cocked and was probably the trigger. Dave tore the trigger apart and found a small flake of paint that had worked its way probably from the stock into the trigger sear. The trigger was put back together and the sear stayed cocked on multiple bolt closing. No charge for the help and a nice discount on the next trigger too. This is what I call good and prompt customer service that took care of their product and their customer. Thanks Bill and Dave!

You may have talked to Wade Hull. Wade is Bill's son and owns Shilen with his wife J. Bill died a few years ago and was my traveling buddy to BR matches. Yes, Shilen is a group of great people.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been dealing with Shilen since 1983. Their customer service is impeccable as is the quality of their barrels. I have had roughly 12 of them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Shilen has been my barrel of choice for years ......I think I’ve had 6 of them, and all shot better than I’m capable. They are usually availible as well. All mine easily shot 1/2 inch at 100 and have accounted for lots of deer and one really nice speed goat. What’s not to like. I think Ed had barrel making figured out.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like to choose a smith and ask about barrel makers. The smith’s reputation is on the line as well as the barrel maker. Smiths know which suppliers can fill the order in a timely fashion and service after the sale is a real big deal. I’d found that Shilen is a favorite of a number of smiths. I’ve had good results and find that properly fitted Shilens shoot with about any barrel and I have a good selection for comparison.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We lost Ed Shilen not long ago, He left a great legacy , reputation and good employees.

Glad to hear it continues.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Butch,

You are correct, I did talk with Wade Hull. Yes, Bill passed away several years ago. Shilen has moved and their new facility is right on I-45 and really nice! Thanks for correcting me!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Texasdude29
Butch,

You are correct, I did talk with Wade Hull. Yes, Bill passed away several years ago. Shilen has moved and their new facility is right on I-45 and really nice! Thanks for correcting me!

No harm meant. I've known the Shilen and Hull family for over 25yrs. Ed Shilen had many hobbies. He was a pilot, champion powered glider pilot competitor, learned piano when in his 70s, and produced gas model airplane engines. They were called DGA as his receivers were called. Ed was also a Formula Ford driver and I built and maintained the Hewland Transmissions in them. Yes, Ed is in the Benchrest Hall of Fame also.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shilen could teach a thing or two to some top barrel companies when it comes to good service, and service after the sale.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by keith
Shilen could teach a thing or two to some top barrel companies when it comes to good service, and service after the sale.

+1

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting my son's 270 rebarreled for next hunting season. Shilen is going to get a phone. I think I have owned most all other makes. My Shilen's shoot fantastic and truly a company that is a pleasure to deal with.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had an issue with a Shilen barrel a few years back on a .35 Whelen. When my smith cut it to 20" after install we found the bore was off center quite a ways. I shot the rifle anyway and couldn't get it to shoot as well as I had hoped. I sent micrometer pics to Shilen and they said it was not within their specs and sent me a new tube right away. Pretty impressed with that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shilen people will not let you down.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will keep everybody informed of the date of next spring's Shilen Swap Meet. They moved into a new large facility and wasn't able to have it this year. We will have a lot more room for everybody.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.