Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Been dealing with burning,tingling, what I believe is nerve pain for past ten years.Also have a heaping helping of plantar fascitis,using the ice bottle and tennis ball treatment without much response. Not close to being diabetic, I'm 67 years old with lots of hard mountain miles on high arch, narrow feet.
Two podiatrists were not much help,tried prescription of gabapentin which worked but could not tolerate increasing dose regiment,gastric upset at minimum dose level.
Anyway, thought somebody on the Fire might have some advice. Thanks Much!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can't take the Gabapentin either.Have you tried low dosage Tramadol

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have two different types of neuropathy, one is in my feet and the other is in my back and spreading. I am currently on gabapentin, topiramate and cymbalta. Topiramate seems to help as did the cymbalta but I could not handle the side effect of the cymbalta. I am maxed out on gabapentin at 3600 per day. You may want to talk to your doctor about the topiramate and/or cymbalta. Hope this help.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have neuropathy in both feet, I’m not diabetic either. I tried a couple different prescription drugs from the neurologist and neither worked for me. He suggested I try Alpha Lipoic Acid, it’s an OTC supplement. It actually helped me more than the prescription drugs. It doesn’t stop the burning and pain but it does lessen it. I been taking 600mg to 1200mg a day for about 5 years. It helps some people and has no effect for others. It also makes your urine smell unusual.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Have you asked your doctor about therapy?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take Gabapentin successfully also. If I couldn't tolerate it, I would probably request Lyrica.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by browningwgm
I have neuropathy in both feet, I’m not diabetic either.

Same here and I don't take prescription meds for it. I've tried diff OTC medication and the one that works best for ME is..

Gold Bond - medicated - Body Lotion. It is nice and KOOOL going on and I let it soak in. It has LESSENED my burning sensation
@ 90 %. It's all I use - for now.

Good Luck

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The nerve issues/plantar fasciitis in the feet can also be related to over tightness in your calves (gastroc. and solius muscles), achilles tendon and even as far up as your hip flexors/butt muscles causing imbalance throughout the whole system. These are hall marks of old farts( I'm 57) with a history of an outdoors lifestyle who've hiked a lot of miles in the mountains, especially with feet locked up in hiking boots.

Start doing roller work with a foam roller for all the areas mentioned (and then work up to a 4- 6" pvc pipe if you're brave enough). Work in proper mobility exercises for same. Move up from the tennis ball( too soft for some work) and get a rubber lacrosse ball and go easy. You need to get on a daily regimen even multiple times a day for 10-15 min each session and expect to experience some pain, but obviously avoid doing damage.

Look up Kelly Starrett https://www.mobilitywod.com/ and get an idea of what his program is about. Get his book " Becoming a supple Leopard" for direction. You are trying to break up all the adhesion's and stuck muscle fibers and connective tissues that have been locked up for all these years and the process to do that takes some serious time and work. No guarantees but it's worth a try and even if it doesn't fix the nerve issues it will make things better in the rest of your lower extremities and you'll feel better in the long run. A lot cheaper than getting on drugs too.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hlg: Apparently there are three types of feet amongst human beings!
Flat feet, feet with two distinct levels or bearing surfaces and then there is my kind of feet that have three levels or bearing surfaces!
The foot Doctor carefully made castings of the bottoms of my tri-level feet and from those castings (which I still have nearly twenty years later) were made shoe inserts by a private company!
These inserts cured my plantar fasciitis virtually IMMEDIATELY!
Nothing else had worked before then.
I have NOT been troubled since this painful incident those many years ago even though I don't wear the custom made insoles anymore!
I do NOT know what to suggest for your nerve pain but wish you a quick recovery from that condition.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hig, the best topical I have found for peripheral neuropathy has been this:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankincense-Myrrh-Neuropathy-Rubbing-Essential/dp/B003B2RJLM/ref=sr_1_cc_1_a_it?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1511584163&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=frankincense%2Band%2Bmyrrh&th=1
(Sorry that that isn't a direct link but is a cut and paste.)

It does not treat the underlying condition, of course, but has helped with the burning or itching symptoms.

For plantar fasciitis the best thing I had was a podiatrist's advice to get a high arch support shoe- back then an ECCO. Now I don't know what would be best as ECCO has lowered their arch supports. Probably some athletic/basketball type. And, as VarmintGuy has posted, the proper support relieves the plantar fasciitis pain RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by g5m; 11/24/17.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I started eating six or eight dried, tart cherries every day my plantar fascitis went away after a week or so. Tried the cherries because People's Pharmacy reported some success with arthritis and noted that cherries have anti-inflammatory components. I buy Tart Montmorency Cherries at Costco. Tart cherry juice also works.

Hope this helps.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good foot doctor would of did custom orthos right off the bat. I was on Celebrex as well for my plantar fasciitis. Unfortunately we are lazy but we need to stretch every day and night do i do it? No but mine is getting better. Also buy the right shoes for your feet not the shoes that are on sale.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Shoe inserts helped my feet, no pain now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wswolf
When I started eating six or eight dried, tart cherries every day my plantar fascitis went away after a week or so. Tried the cherries because People's Pharmacy reported some success with arthritis and noted that cherries have anti-inflammatory components. I buy Tart Montmorency Cherries at Costco. Tart cherry juice also works.

Hope this helps.

I'd probably be half crippled by now if I hadn't found out about the "TART" cherry juice...it's truly amazing what it does for me...

H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I've had 4-5 sets of custom orthotics in the last ten years,they have been helpful but still not the answer.Have found that comfortable and usually expensive shoes are well worth the money,when combined with the orthotics, good shoes have given improvement.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Ya might try smokin' a joint.

,...can't hurt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had peripheral nephropathy, turns out it was B12 deficiency. Still have to make sure I get enough everyday to keep the symptoms under control. If you haven't been checked, wouldn't hurt to rule it out.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
I had peripheral nephropathy, turns out it was B12 deficiency. Still have to make sure I get enough everyday to keep the symptoms under control. If you haven't been checked, wouldn't hurt to rule it out.

Dutch, how do you take B12?

Will try it for my neuropathic pain.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had my feet just about ruined...felt like the bones were crunching every step when I would first wake up. Almost to the point that I couldn't walk. Bought a pair of White's boots and in a few weeks the pain was gone, unless I slipped back into sneakers. Now, 10+ years later I can wear anything, but I still wear the White's daily

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Originally Posted by Dutch

Dutch, how do you take B12?

Will try it for my neuropathic pain.

When was first diagnosed,the doc recommended the shots, and they did work, splendidly. However, getting shots every couple of weeks was cumbersome and expensive, so I started experimenting with other B12 sources.

My experience:
the multivitamin B12 complex pills don't work. NOT AT ALL. Just flush them. Rubbish.
Methyl cobalamin sublingual doesn't work
cyanocobalamin works a little, in the right sublingual tablet (GNC is the brand I settled on).

However, the quickest, best, cheapest method is to eat liver. I am rather fond of Braunschweiger anyway, and it works like a charm. I looked for a brand with liver as the first ingredient, and as long as I make my lunch with a nice, fat, Braunschweiger sandwich several times a week, symptoms stay away. I still use the sublingual tables, for example when traveling, but diet can control my symptoms. Annual testing shows normal B12 blood levels.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.