Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know similar topics have been discussed and a suppressor would be swell.. My hearing is so chitty I am looking for a way to eliminate any unprotected gunfire, eg while hunting. Have had some patient critters allow me time to throw in the ear plugs but looking beyond this obvious ez solution.

Just curious and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. All ideas welcome.

Anyone familiar with Decibullz Percussive?

Non-electronic custom molded 'percussive' shooting filters? Don't see a NRR clearly displayed.

https://www.decibullz.com/product/new-custom-molded-percussive-filters-pre-order/

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried them. They didn't work for me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out a company called Etymotic. They make electronic hearing products (mainly for musicians I believe) but have a model called "gun sport 15" I purchased a set this spring and used them turkey hunting. I actually think the directional hearing improved while using these as well. I have been impressed with them and the company's customer service is top notch. They were a bit pricey for me at $300ish but if I lost them today I'd replace them tomorrow.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m cheap. Use foam ear plugs

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walker just came out with a set of in-ear plugs for about $200. They're not custom fitted, but do come with an assortment of tips to fit most ears. I can't vouch for their quality now, but Walker was always a bit behind the sound quality curve when I was in the business.

Edit to add: I just looked at those "percussive" plugs. They've re-worded the old and completely debunked "valved" plugs. If I'm right, they depend on the sound wave itself to close off the sound path. Which doesn't work, in simple terms.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Walker game ear muffs, th ones that enhance most sounds but reduce those over 85 dB.
They are a bit cumbersome, but get the job done

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Foam plugs for me

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What????????????

Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Magnum Ears - Got them several years ago and never looked back. Amplify so I can hear anything but shut out sounds so I can shoot my .500 S&W with no other hearing protection involves. Worth every penny. Cry once.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I just looked at those "percussive" plugs. They've re-worded the old and completely debunked "valved" plugs. If I'm right, they depend on the sound wave itself to close off the sound path. Which doesn't work, in simple terms.

That's different from the Hocks Noise Braker, correct?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tag

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Roc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What works best for all the snoring at deer camp?
Just get to sleep first.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs myself. Like a lot of you I left lots of my hearing back at the rifle range or loud industry, so I don't hear that well to begin with. Those muffs are pretty low profile and amplify the woods noises, but muffle the sound of a gun shot. I'm an all day in the stand kind of guy and I get bored on a stand all day, so I bring along an old transistor radio with an ear jack cord and those Sport Muffs have speakers in them so I can listen to public radio out there too.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use Walkers game ears hearing aid type ear plugs.They work very good.I bought a pair of the Walker in the ear silencers.They are excellent ,but I lost one in Montana.They need to make them in an orange color.They are black and if one falls out it is gone.I dislike the head phone style as I cannot get a good cheek weld.I was able to have the Walkers in all day with no discomfort.

Last edited by Huntz; 11/25/17.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Huntz
I use Walkers game ears hearing aid type ear plugs.They work very good.I bought a pair of the Walker in the ear silencers.They are excellent ,but I lost one in Montana.They need to make them in an orange color.They are black and if one falls out it is gone.I dislike the head phone style as I cannot get a good cheek weld.I was able to have the Walkers in all day with no discomfort.

You're pointing out what I like about the Magnum Ears. They're fitted to your ear and they don't fall out. You have to turn them in and turn them out. They don't interfere with your cheek weld or anything else. They're comfortable, too. I have no complaints. The loudest thing I shoot is a .500 S&W and with no other hearing protection but the Magnum Ears it sounds like a gunshot on the TV set. They're a little spendy, but you only have to buy them once.

Mathew 22: 37-39

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Check out the Starky "Sound Gear" in-ear devices. Pricey but worth it to me for grouse, deer and turkey hunting. Tried all sorts of muff gizmos and too damn hot for grouse hunting and interfere with solid gun mount too.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.