Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This sub forum is awfully slow....

We aren't really duck hunters, but 'bird' hunters trying to fill some empty time locally. Don't know what we are doing, but being in the right place at the right time helps.

Had a hen mallard land on the pond as we were setting out decoys in the dark with lights on and everything, she didn't seem to care. Then a few more mallards and a handful of teal. Got a couple teal at first light. Then had a flock of a dozen or so come in 10 minutes later. Beats sitting on the couch I guess...

[Linked Image]

Brother in laws dog Boo getting it done. Retrieved all 4, including a swimmer headed for the cat tails.

[Linked Image]

Brother in law and nephew

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pics of a fun hunt. I love waterfowl hunting. So much variety.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Plenty of opportunity around just haven’t learned the art just yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shot my first duck 3 weeks ago! have wanted to for half a century but never got to do it. think i am hooked.
sister has a remington 3200 she wants to sell me, are they any good?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being in a duck blind with the right people is awesome.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Being in a duck blind with the right people is awesome.

So true. Other hunting you only interact when it's over, duck hunting you spend the whole hunt together.

As for the Remington 3200, it's probably a great gun but not necessarily what you want in a duck slough. You can have mud, blood and water all over your gun on a good day. The duck hunters I respect are the guys shooting 870 express or something like that. Shamefully, you could buy 5 duck guns for what I paid for my shotgun. I'm part of the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a 870 m wingmaster with a full choke barrel. guess i willl try to find a barrel with interchangeable chokes for it. from what i see a barrel will cost about what a 870 sells for in todays market

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, seems to be a lot of $200 barrels for sale these days. I lucked out and got a $100 barrel for an old 20 ga 870LW in modified choke not long ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can get an H&R pardner pump for less than an 870 barrel. Good luck in your search.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Plenty of opportunity around just haven’t learned the art just yet.

Hiding is paramount!! You have got to stay out of sight. And covering your face with a camo mask or face paint is a must, a beard works well, too. Covering everything in camo is a must. Anything shiny or brightly colored will scare them off.

The ducks can see the "shine" on your face. We call it "pie facing", looking at the ducks with no cover on your face. May as well have neon sign that says "danger here."

Last, if they are coming in, shut up and let 'em. Only call to wingtips and tail feathers.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, let 'em come!

Old poet said about duck hunting: As long as they're coming, let them come in, shoot where they're going, not where they've been!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been alternating warm and cool, warm and cool here - not many ducks down yet. Got some actual cold weather coming next week for several days so I booked a hunt on Currituck Sound for the first three days of our third season (18-20 DEC) - maybe there will be enough ducks to get some shooting in by then.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody duck hunt?

40 years ago, I had the fever... baaaad! A couple of friends and myself hunted all over north La. It was nothing to drive 2-3 hours and then motor 10-12 miles to get to a special place to hunt. Or, wade thru muck and mud while carrying a full large decoy bag, shotgun, clothes, etc. But, when the point system came out in the early to mid '70's, it got to where it just wasn't practical to spend that kind of time, effort, and money for just 2-3 ducks. So, I gave away my dog, decoys, boat frame, and boat cover. I did keep my shotguns, but now they require steel shot and these old guns wont stand it, so I guess my duck hunting days are over, for good.

Gotta admit, it was lots of fun!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chased them around when I was a teen, maybe up to 22 y/o. Had more fun hunting geese. The year I graduated HS, I spent that whole fall hunting geese. Took two geese every day (limit was 2). Filled the freezer's of my parents. Two sets of grand parents, and a few friends and neighbors too.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was up in North MO last weekend on a duck hunt. Had it planned for 3 months with my little brother. Too bad couldn’t have rescheduled it for this coming weekend. This cold front coming in will have the birds moving. Only came home with 3. Three is better than none and it sure beat working!

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We hunt em every year. We chase a few around home, but our more serious hunt is in Arkansas. The waterfowl in Arkansas can be awesome to see and hunt. Need some cold weather up north to push them down, I'm told. This seems to be the case about every year. We hit that area in January when conditions are usually pretty good. I was in Kansas deer hunting last week and the ducks were building on the rivers and lakes out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
got a 870 express from my sister that has the rem choke system. now i am shopping for waders. have the rest of this month to bust ducks now that the buck is cut up and the elk are still romping the mountain.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wife refers to herself as a waterfowl widow. Especially after Christmas when the diver hunting gets good., he'll my boss forgets he employs me that time of year. In fact I just got done ordering 8 dozen more bluegill and redheads and some more longlines

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a decent hunt on Currituck Sound this past MON-WED; my hunting partner and I got limits on Monday morning - mixed bag of Shoveler, Gadwall, Greenwing Teal, and Widgeon. Tuesday and Wednesday were slower but we got a few Ruddy's, Gadwall, and two Ringnecks. Bluebird days but ducks did fly. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Great t9 hear that the ducks are flying down east. Bluebird days are what we want in the Arkansas flooded timber. The ducks have a hard time seeing you when sitting in the timber, on clear days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,304
Posts18,449,089
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.