Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by okie john

And illumination. Can't say that I've seen a 1" scope with an illuminated reticle.

Okie John

--

They aren't real common, but the Kahles KX-i and Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44/4C are a couple of one-inch illuminated offerings that come to mind.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
What advantages/disadvantages are there between 30mm and 1" tubes for someone who doesn't adjust the elevation knob after sighting in?

Advantage:
Stronger tube, more robust.
Adjustment range is typically larger than in 1" tubes, although not always. (This can be relavent even if one does not plan to dial firing solutions.)
Until relatively recently, 30mm tubed scopes were of an overall higher quality optical system...Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B, etc.

Disadvantages:
Prices are typically higher
Weight can be if one is trying to keep overall weight at an anorexic level.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Campfire always continues to amaze:

There are plenty of 1" illuminated-reticle scopes, and have been for years.

There have been plenty of 30mm scopes in all price ranges for quite a while, so no 30mm scopes aren't brighter because the optics are higher quality. (As a side-point, 30mm scopes got the reputation of being brighter became an advertising agency decided to sell the myth that they "transmit" more light through the larger tube back in the early 1990's. Back then this had a kernel of truth, because the scopes the advertising was promoting wre made by a high-quality Euro-company.)

Ease of "getting behind" a scope depends on the exit pupil and eye relief, which combine to create the "eye box." These have nothing to do with the size of the tube.

Many Euro-scopes used 30mm tubes because that's the standard size they settled on. In America we settled on 1".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think a 30 looks better on a rifle.
Like a little meat on the bone if ya know what I mean.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Maybe I wasn't clear enough: for those who think a 30mm tube is brighter/transmits more light, take two SIMILAR optics and compare them. Take a Summit and a Klassik in similar configurations and compare them. You'll "see" similar performance from both in terms of "brightness." The 30mm does not have an advantage.

So, no, 30mm tubes don't transmit more light. And John, yea, cheap 30mm scopes are out there and have been for years -- certainly not in great quantities but out there nonetheless. When most folks think of 30mm scopes, Zeiss, Swaro, S&B, Kahles and Meopta likely come to mind. Barska is likely not the first thing they thought of LOL...

I never said ALL 30mm scopes have superior optics in comparison to 1" offerings (yep, the 'fire amazes me, too smile ). My statement, in fact, was due to numerous folks making apples-to-oranges comparisons. It stands to reason if they claim to have actually seen a marked difference that they have compared scopes of varying optical qualities, another reason for my comment. Think about it for a moment: Had they compared a 1" Simmons 8-point to some $29 clamshell scope with a 30mm tube, they likely wouldn't be making the erroneous claim.

Recently, on another forum, someone made the "30mm scopes transmit more light" argument because he had used nothing but Vari-X IIs for years and suddenly looked through a VX-6. Similar comparisons have been made here -- and in error, I might add.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No one has mentioned the first plane reticle common in the Euro 30 mm scopes. The reticle size stays the same size in relation to the target which they tell me is some advantage in helping judge distance. Frankly that very large appearing cross-hair irks me a little in my 2.5-10x42 Swarovski in the higher power settings. Those European hunters get to hunt way longer into the evening than we typically can here and I wanted a very good light gathering scope, which it is, but due more to the coating on the lenses than the 30 mm tube size. My little 1" tube Leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari-X lll with the heavy Duplex comes in a very close second as a low light scope which surprised me. Not being able to see the standard cross-hair against an early morning deer with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 had me looking for something better.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Personally, it is easier for me to quickly find the target in the larger tube. It's more forgiving.

Also, comparing the same magnification scopes, the larger tubes seems to be brighter than the one-inch tube. Maybe it is because there is more light coming through.

IMO, the only advantage on the smaller tube is the lighter weight.

Um.....no....

Um.....yes.....

I always laugh at those that disagree with other member opinion but have no valid point to provide. Basically, all they provide is a worthless comment that has no value to anyone.

At least I voiced my personal opinion and why 30mm works for me.

You, on the other hand, cant even verbalize a full sentence. Assuming that you are a Millennial living out of your momma's basement so that may be a valid excuse for your worthless comments.

I apologize for not being specific in my response earlier.

Mule Deer explained it. There is not more light coming through for scopes with the same objective size and power in regard to the exit pupil. Differences in glass quality and coatings (and number of lenses) may allow a higher percentage of light to pass through but the exit pupil size is the same (same power and objective size). It's not a water hose where a bigger tube allows more water through than a smaller tube. As Mule Deer mentioned, the eye relief (especially coupled with a generous exit pupil) make some scopes easier to get behind...but again, it's not the tube size.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

If a 1" tube and a 30mm tube have the same wall thickness, which will be the stronger of the two?

Larger outer diameter is stronger.

Thanks. I'm not sure but I think I'd heard some argument for a smaller action diameter (bolt action) with the same wall thickness being stronger than a larger one with the same thickness. Even then, I'd guess the strength would be measured to standing up to internal pressure, not external like a scope....but I could be mis-remembering....again... grin Thanks again.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

If a 1" tube and a 30mm tube have the same wall thickness, which will be the stronger of the two?

Larger outer diameter is stronger.

It depends.

There is a ratio of wall thickness to tube diameter that determines the strength of the tube. Aircraft manufacturers and such have it figured out, including space the tube occupies and it's weight.

Given the same wall thickness, I would think the difference between 1" vs 30mm would be negligible in a practical way for scopes.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by okie john

And illumination. Can't say that I've seen a 1" scope with an illuminated reticle.

Okie John

--

They aren't real common, but the Kahles KX-i and Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44/4C are a couple of one-inch illuminated offerings that come to mind.

I had no idea. Checking them out now.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

There have been plenty of 30mm scopes in all price ranges for quite a while, so no 30mm scopes aren't brighter because the optics are higher quality. (As a side-point, 30mm scopes got the reputation of being brighter became an advertising agency decided to sell the myth that they "transmit" more light through the larger tube back in the early 1990's. Back then this had a kernel of truth, because the scopes the advertising was promoting wre made by a high-quality Euro-company.)

Ease of "getting behind" a scope depends on the exit pupil and eye relief, which combine to create the "eye box." These have nothing to do with the size of the tube.

Many Euro-scopes used 30mm tubes because that's the standard size they settled on. In America we settled on 1".

With all due respect to your knowledge and experience, I have to slightly disagree.

As I said, considering the same glass quality, same magnification, eye relief etc: (let's say two 2-10x50 scopes), comparing one-inch tube and 30mm tube, it will always be easier to get behind the larger scope simply has more viewing.

1 inch (25.4mm) = A≈20.27
30mm = A≈28.27

as you can see, the 30mm scope has almost 40% more see-through space over one-inch tube so clearly, it will always be easier to get behind the bigger scope.

Same for the light coming through the scope, considering everything else is the same, there will be a more light coming through the larger tube whether your eye can notice it or not. This is not my opinion, this is just pure physics.

Obviously, not all optics are built equal and you can find high-quality one-inch scopes and junk quality 30mm scopes but as I stated in my first post, for my personal use, high quality 30mm scope would provide some benefit over the same quality one-inch scope.

So for those not seeing any benefit by going with anything larger than a one-inch tube, that's fine with me.

30-30 rifles with iron sights killed more game than all the 30mm scopes combined so if that is what works for you keep using 30-30, or one-inch scopes ... or iron sights.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

With all due respect to your knowledge and experience, I have to slightly disagree.

As I said, considering the same glass quality, same magnification, eye relief etc: (let's say two 2-10x50 scopes), comparing one-inch tube and 30mm tube, it will always be easier to get behind the larger scope simply has more viewing.

30mm = A≈28.27

as you can see, the 30mm scope has almost 40% more see-through space over one-inch tube so clearly, it will always be easier to get behind the bigger scope.

Same for the light coming through the scope, considering everything else is the same, there will be a more light coming through the larger tube whether your eye can notice it or not. This is not my opinion, this is just pure physics.

Obviously, not all optics are built equal and you can find high-quality one-inch scopes and junk quality 30mm scopes but as I stated in my first post, for my personal use, high quality 30mm scope would provide some benefit over the same quality one-inch scope.

So for those not seeing any benefit by going with anything larger than a one-inch tube, that's fine with me.

30-30 rifles with iron sights killed more game than all the 30mm scopes combined so if that is what works for you keep using 30-30, or one-inch scopes ... or iron sights.

A stream of light doesn't pass through a rifle scope like a water hose. Read and study a bit.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 11/26/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Simple image below, but pay attention to the size of the stream of light coming out of the scope. It has nothing to do with tube size. Think objective size and power/magnification.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

30mm = A≈28.27

A stream of light doesn't pass through a rifle scope like a water hose. Read and study a bit.

I have done enough reading and studying in my life and made living based on math/physics/programming so if you personally don't have a basic knowledge of physics/science, please do not assume that everyone else is clueless about those things.

And while bigger may not always be better, there is a reason why those leading manufacturers are using bigger tubes even for lower magnification scopes that do not need much elevation adjustments.

Anyway, just call Nightforce and they will explain to you why they don't make any one-inch scope since based on your expertise there is no benefit to larger tubes.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Simple image below, but pay attention to the size of the stream of light coming out of the scope. It has nothing to do with tube size. Think objective size and power/magnification.

[Linked Image]

Again, since you don't get it. Same objective size and magnification size scopes compared, a larger tube will provide more light and viewing space. I know it may be hard to understand for non-technical people but it is what it is.

Sorry, I can only bring a horse to a water ... but some won't still drink it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's been explained and simplified to pictures......believe as you will.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do you have a PhD or Masters in Optics? If so what school did you go to?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So now I need a PhD or a Master in optics? Hahaha, you don't need a PhD in optics to understand the basics.

You are all arguing and insulting but none of you won't provide anything to prove me otherwise. Just stick to your iron sights, its fine with me.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
This is not my opinion, this is just pure physics.

No, it is not. Well, it is physics, but you've got it wrong. From what you've described, it doesn't sound like you even know what's inside a scope or how they work.

Larger objective lenses do transmit more light. Larger tube diameters do not.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have both, both are great!!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.