Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Interested in the 73, chambered for the 45 colt, for hunting.

Accuracy.?
Quality.?

What level loadings will they run..?

Thanks

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most are made by Uberti, and the quality is very good; they are very nice rifles. Accuracy is great for a pistol cartridge carbine, you can hit anything you reasonably aim at with open sights. As for which loads to use, I would keep it to standard pressures for .45 Colt. While it may be a modern rifle, it's still the old toggle action, and that's not a strong action at all. If you need hot loads, then I recommend one of the Winchester 92's from Rossi; those will take most anything and everything you can throw at them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Most are made by Uberti, and the quality is very good; they are very nice rifles. Accuracy is great for a pistol cartridge carbine, you can hit anything you reasonably aim at with open sights. As for which loads to use, I would keep it to standard pressures for .45 Colt. While it may be a modern rifle, it's still the old toggle action, and that's not a strong action at all. If you need hot loads, then I recommend one of the Winchester 92's from Rossi; those will take most anything and everything you can throw at them.

Very correct.

It is hard to get a smoother action, but the design is still not the strongest.

Modern metallurgy is probably better than the originals, but I would personally stick with cowboy loads in the 60,66,73, and 76 rifles.

Aside from being a neat looking rifle, or just feeling the need to collect one, most folks are better off with a 92.

Last edited by Frontiersman; 12/06/17.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Frontiersman
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Very correct.

It is hard to get a smoother action, but the design is still not the strongest.

Modern metallurgy is probably better than the originals, but I would personally stick with cowboy loads in the 60,66,73, and 76 rifles.

Aside from being a neat looking rifle, or just feeling the need to collect one, most folks are better off with a 92.

Not correct. They are made by Miroku in Japan, quality is outstanding as with all Miroku-made guns. The other points regarding the M1892 being a much more stout design are correct.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 12/06/17.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I looked at one pretty close yesterday. Like everything else from Miroku appears top shelf. If one was ever offered in 32 WCF it might be worthy of a snag. I just dont need anything bigger. I dunno why all are concerned about pressures if kept at original loading specs. Geez black powder spec .44 WCF is plenty gun for wide variety of applications. If you think you need a magnum, use a different rifle.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Squirrelnut

Not correct. They are made by Miroku in Japan, quality is outstanding as with all Miroku-made guns. The other points regarding the M1892 being a much more stout design are correct.

I'm trying to figure out where that came from, considering the rest of the thread?

Uberti is still making 73 rifles, and have been for a long time. Miroku is a relative new-comer compared to the Italian clones.

I would be willing to bet, you are correct, the japan rifles are undoubtedly stronger. They make some nice rifles.

The issue with the 73 isn't who's making them, but the limitations of the original design.

But it still remains one of my favorites.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The one I looked at yesterday had made for Winchester by B C Miroku in Japan stamped on the barrel flat.

Now that Winchester is again offering a 73, this how I would have interpreted the thread. smile

Last edited by kaywoodie; 12/08/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Frontiersman

Originally Posted by Squirrelnut

I'm trying to figure out where that came from, considering the rest of the thread?

Uberti is still making 73 rifles, and have been for a long time. Miroku is a relative new-comer compared to the Italian clones.

I would be willing to bet, you are correct, the japan rifles are undoubtedly stronger. They make some nice rifles.

The issue with the 73 isn't who's making them, but the limitations of the original design.

But it still remains one of my favorites.

Current Winchester 73's would mean 73's made by Winchester, would it not?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uberti is selling the 1873 in 44 magnum. How weak can that action be?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by irfubar
Uberti is selling the 1873 in 44 magnum. How weak can that action be?

Lots of Italian rifles that have never been fired and only dropped once out there that I wouldn't own...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.