Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I need a little help.

I'm walling in part of an open-faced shed with vertical 3' metal siding. Got a majority of the stringers up which has been a bit slow as I am having to shim and adjust as I go to work with tapering telephone poles that were used in the barn.

What have you guys found to be the best thing these days to cut this steel?

Now I am getting metal probably Tuesday and I am trying to plan the install. I've installed siding like this before, but in 8' sheets with a lot of extra hands around. Looking for advice/tricks to handling 12'-13' long pieces by myself or maybe with a young kid helping. .

Montana MOFO
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Same stuff as ribbed roofing metal?

I use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They make special blades for circular saws, or turn an old blade backwards. It's noisy, and sparks fly all over. Wear ear plugs, safety glasses, and thick leather gloves. Did I say it's noisy?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the job can't be done with a pair of tin snips, then I use my Milwaukee metal shear. It takes some practice going up and down the valleys but it works well and doesn't leave as much of a rough edge as a grinder or saw blade. It's pretty quiet too.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nibblers beat shears for ribbed metal....

IC B2

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've seen an attachment that goes on a cordless drill or maybe a cordless reciprocating saw. Is that what you're referring to as a nibbled?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a nibbler is a kind of reciprocating hole puncher instead of shears

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Any suggestions on handling and installing longer pieces by yourself?

Montana MOFO
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Get some help, and then don't do it on a windy day.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Pre-drill your sheets in a stack and use punches to hold in position till you can get a couple screws in. I have a few scratch awls just for that.....

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Pre-drill your sheets in a stack and use punches to hold in position till you can get a couple screws in. I have a few scratch awls just for that.....

There we go. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. I vaguely recall guys doing that and I appreciate you jogging my memory.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just built a 30x45 10' side walls pole barn with metal siding and roof. It was pretty much me and my 10 year old son for the siding

I used a circular saw with the metal cutting blades. The kind that wear down like sand paper almost. They were $3-4each. Worked really well. I have a Stihl hardhat deal with a mask and ear protection and I wore that plus safety glasses while cutting. And long sleeves and gloves. Lots of sparks and noise but it worked well.

The biggest pain for me putting up the siding by myself was running a chalk line to keep the screws in a straight line. But with my son it was a piece of cake. I just flat quit a couple times when the wind came up.

We got a system down pretty well though and I'd get everything where it would be in reach once the tin was in place, level, chalk, ladder. I used a simple tool belt and that was really nice. Once everything was strategically placed I'd go get the tin. The tallest of mine were probably close to 14' no breeze is the key. My son could easily help with the line and holding even a pretty tall piece in place while i made sure it was square. Then even with a couple screws in mine stayed pretty good. until I got them all in.

I did not pre drill any of mine. Might be a good idea, but I doubt I would given how easy mine was without pre drilling. I did have bottom trim on mine so my side metal had a nice level surface to stand on. A nice drill or impact driver really made it nice. I actually preferred my drill because i could set the torque to set the screw just right without smashing the seal too much.

I'm not a builder by any stretch and once I got going it went pretty smoothly. Barn is still standing anyway. laugh

Last edited by Ralphie; 11/13/17.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is a cutter that looks like a paper cutter. Fits the configuration of the metal. Cuts it square and easy. It’s a Swenson shear. You might be able to rent one.

Be careful with electric cords. An man we knew set a piece of metal down on the cord, it began shocking him. His wife ran to help him, they both died right there. Two young kids.

Last edited by hanco; 11/20/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not all cuts are square. hence the nibblers......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

This^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put up metal on several buildings on the farm, and always by myself. I have used a big pair of metal shears, and I've used a saw blade turned backwards on a circular saw. The circular saw is faster, if one doesn't mind the noise and the sparks. One thing I've learned.....doing it by yourself is not easy, no matter how you go about it.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Got it partially done with the help of my crew. The wife understands now why it's a pita retrofitting or remodeling someone else's construction. Nothing is plumb, nothing is square etc. But, we have most of the pita part done. Hoping to get a big pad poured in the next few days before winter really sets in. Be really nice when we have it finished and the kids have a nice place to work.

Montana MOFO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.