Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
How easy would it be to build a custom capable of 1/2 MOA or even better accuracy and the finished rifle be at 6 to 6.5 pounds? I really like the weight and feel of my Forbes 270 and it is that accurate and right at 6 lbs. The ejection angle however won't allow me to use any scope with turrets or even covered turrets. I am able to use a Swaro Z5 on it just fine.

I like the Swaro but would have more confidence for long term in a NF NXS 2.5-10X42. I'm thinking a custom 6.5-270 or even a Creedmoor if I must go short action for weight loss,and a NXS would be the last hunting rifle I would ever buy. I would however like the finished scoped rifle to be 8 lbs or under,and 7.5 lbs would make me very happy.

Is this possible? Any suggestions on action,barrel,and stock that would get me there?

Is there really a better chance of better accuracy going custom,or should I just buy a Tikka Superlight or a Fieldcraft? I've never had a custom built.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/29/17.
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Going lightweight indicates to me you're wanting a field rifle, not a range gun. Have you considered whether or not you can hold the difference under field conditions between genuine 1/2 moa and 1 moa rifles?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Going lightweight indicates to me you're wanting a field rifle, not a range gun. Have you considered whether or not you can hold the difference under field conditions between genuine 1/2 moa and 1 moa rifles?

It's a valid question,but honestly I like even my field guns to shoot accurately from the bench. I guess it just gives me more confidence,and I honestly doubt I would be happy with a 1.5" field gun from the bench,even if I knew I honestly couldn't take full advantage of more accuracy in the field.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

It's a valid question,but honestly I like even my field guns to shoot accurately from the bench. I guess it just gives me more confidence,and I honestly doubt I would be happy with a 1.5" field gun from the bench,even if I knew I honestly couldn't take full advantage of more accuracy in the field.

I do too, and I'm not satisfied with 1.5 moa either. But I "got real" a while back about getting/needing below genuine moa in my hunting rifles, by which I mean five shot groups and not just now and then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think your build should be pretty easy - to make the weight anyway. I've done several, mostly all 7MM-08's or .243's that weigh just over 6 lbs naked and are about 7 lbs 5-6 ozs with scope and rings. And several shoot as good as my Tikka Superlite wink All kidding aside, building a accurate 7-8 lbs rifle shouldn't be that hard if you use a good smith and use the right parts.

For parts maybe start with trued model 700 action or 700 clone of choice. Stock would be either a McMillan Edge in whatever pattern you like or one of the Manners Elite Hunter stocks, barrel maybe a Bartlein 2b either fluted or not and kept under 23" for best balance. Either ADL or if BDL go aluminum to keep weight down. I think with Talley Lwt's and your scope you could be well under 8 lbs when all done.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 11/29/17.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go Barrett since it is righthanded. Custom that is close to what you want:

Rem 700 stainless action - $425
Mcmillan compact edge - $600
Hart #2 barrel, or pacnor mtn contour - $350
Timney trigger - $175
Gunsmith - $450
Total - $2,000

It would come in around 6 pounds depending on barrel length. Way way easier to just buy a Barrett.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got several that are ~6.5 lbs scoped with a Leupold 6x42. Seven or 700 short action, edge stock, #2 barrel @ 22".....bumping the scope weight with an NXS will bump total weight. I've several that are extremely accurate.

You can almost hit that weight taking a stainless 700 sporter, chopping it to 22", and sticking it in a blind mag edge fill stock.

I like Barrett and agree on it being a custom killer, but understand the preference for a slightly heavier contour on the short action.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
After having many custom hunting rifles built, then buying 4 Tikka T3s, A Sako FL, and many other really accurate factory rifles, I've pretty much came to the conclusion that I'll never build another unless it is a unique cartridge I just want to try for the heck of it. The good thing is when that itch hits, I can just rebarrel on an existing good platform.

When I first started having rifles built, I honestly thought I was getting a better rifle that would be so much more accurate lol. Live and learn...

Lets not even begin to speak about build issues and screw ups from supposedly Rock Stars of the 'smith world...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
After having many custom hunting rifles built, then buying 4 Tikka T3s, A Sako FL, and many other really accurate factory rifles, I've pretty much came to the conclusion that I'll never build another unless it is a unique cartridge I just want to try for the heck of it. The good thing is when that itch hits, I can just rebarrel on an existing good platform.

When I first started having rifles built, I honestly thought I was getting a better rifle that would be so much more accurate lol. Live and learn...

Lets not even begin to speak about build issues and screw ups from supposedly Rock Stars of the 'smith world...

I have to concur. I have had several rifles built over the years, now I have several Sako's. I may order a custom barrel for my Contender in 25-35, but that is likely the extent of my custom work for a long while.

“Lighten up Francis”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Take the field conditions out your only ever as accurate as your rifle is...Ive never met anyone who has turned down a rifle because it to accurate.

How many races would Earnhardt have won in a Mazda?

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DUCKBRX

Take the field conditions out your only ever as accurate as your rifle is...Ive never met anyone who has turned down a rifle because it to accurate.

You're way off the mark.

Errors in shooting don't add linearly. It's more of a square root of a sum of squares situation. If there are several sources of error you're basically pissing into the wind fooling around with the small sources when the big sources remain unaltered, and a 1/2 moa bench shot group capability difference is one of the small errors in the field.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

You're way off the mark.

Errors in shooting don't add linearly. It's more of a square root of a sum of squares situation. If there are several sources of error you're basically pissing into the wind fooling around with the small sources when the big sources remain unaltered, and a 1/2 moa bench shot group capability difference is one of the small errors in the field.

Bet id be a 1/2 MOA closer than you!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're way off the mark.

For some it's not so much of a numbers game, as it is a confidence-building thing. Having said that, PRS-style matches simulate field conditions, and IME there are scenarios where a 1 MOA barrel will cost you points, as where a 1/2 MOA barrel won't. On a target the size of elk vitals, this won't be the case until you get out past probably 600 or 700 meters, given solid field rests like prone with a pack and something for a rear rest, but if you plan on shooting that far or beyond, it becomes a factor. Even if you're not shooting game that far, there is still the confidence thing smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are PRS matches shot with 6.5 pound rifles?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

You're way off the mark.

The math says you'd be hard pressed to prove it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are PRS matches shot with 6.5 pound rifles?

That's not the point. I have plenty of pics of 1/2 MOA 3-shot groups I've fired with 6.5 lbs rifles, from prone and improvised rests, not heavy BR style rests.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

You're way off the mark.

The math says you'd be hard pressed to prove it.

You shoot your MOA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a custom light rifle I'd be starting with something like:
SA stainless 700
Manners EH8 (best light hunting stock I've handled)
Rem sporter dupe barrel from whoever will make it, at 21" and 1-8".
6.5x47
ADL bottom.

Adding an NXS to that mix would probably get you to right at or under 8#.

Or, save the time and some cash and buy a Fieldcraft.

Tanner

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
How easy would it be to build a custom capable of 1/2 MOA or even better accuracy and the finished rifle be at 6 to 6.5 pounds? I really like the weight and feel of my Forbes 270 and it is that accurate and right at 6 lbs. The ejection angle however won't allow me to use any scope with turrets or even covered turrets. I am able to use a Swaro Z5 on it just fine.

I like the Swaro but would have more confidence for long term in a NF NXS 2.5-10X42. I'm thinking a custom 6.5-270 or even a Creedmoor if I must go short action for weight loss,and a NXS would be the last hunting rifle I would ever buy. I would however like the finished scoped rifle to be 8 lbs or under,and 7.5 lbs would make me very happy.

Is this possible? Any suggestions on action,barrel,and stock that would get me there?

Is there really a better chance of better accuracy going custom,or should I just buy a Tikka Superlight or a Fieldcraft? I've never had a custom built.

I've owned several custom rifles, and a couple of Tikkas. If I wanted a light, accurate rifle, then I'd start with a Tikka or a Sako A7. You could buy several of them for the cost of one lightweight custom. They're incredibly accurate and fall within the weight range that you specified.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image][/img]

Here is a light build 8.2lbs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.