-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 scopes and need to choose one and sell the other one. gun is tikka t3x 6.5 CM

1- vortex viper PST EBR-1 4-16x50
2- vortex viper HS-T VMR-1 6-24x50

If you a choice which one and why ?

Last edited by persiandog; 11/28/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
take me to the top

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the 2nd.... Because I like more magnification for targets.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I would sell them both and buy one good scope ...

but again, I know nothing about scopes and I don't pay much attention to exit pupil size in scopes ...

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the Vortex Viper on my 6.5 Creedmoor. It seems to be a nice scope, but nothing special. No shortage of good alternatives. I think I’d sell both and get a Nightforce.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShakyHands

but again, I know nothing about scopes and I don't pay much attention to exit pupil size in scopes ...

would you recommend a few ?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by persiandog

would you recommend a few ?

I would love to, but again, my eyes and my scope needs are different than most guys around here.

As you may have noticed, there is a lot of old-school guys around here that are "stuck" with Loopy 6x and Conquest 3-9 or the SS 3-9 which is maybe durable, has great but bulky turrets and the optics are just average in my opinion.

Personally, I like big Euro glass as I don't mind carrying a little bit of extra weight in exchange for the benefits of premium Euro optics.

As far as I know, currently, if still available, in your price range, probably the best deal you can get is the Leica ER5 that is being offered at half price. I think the 3-15x56 would nicely replace what you have right now.

If those are gone, talk to Doug from CameralndNY as he may be able to hook you up with some great deals on Meopta scopes and he definitely knows way more than me.

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/28/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
since when do Leupolds and Zeiss Conquests have big bulky turrets?! and everyone's eyes are unique... what may be good for one may not be for another. Hence why so much discussion over brands.

Depends on your use for the scope, both the ones you listed are good scopes. Is a NF better? Absolutely! But Viper PST and HST are really good scopes, I have 3 HSTs. and PSTs are supposed to be a bit better. I like smaller glass (40 -44mm), not big bulky objective lenses which don't offer much benefit, IMO. The Vipers have 30mm tubes which give you lots of adjustment range for elevation if that's important.

You'd be good with either choice

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CJC73
since when do Leupolds and Zeiss Conquests have big bulky turrets?! and everyone's eyes are unique... what may be good for one may not be for another. Hence why so much discussion over brands.

Depends on your use for the scope, both the ones you listed are good scopes. Is a NF better? Absolutely! But Viper PST and HST are really good scopes, I have 3 HSTs. and PSTs are supposed to be a bit better. I like smaller glass (40 -44mm), not big bulky objective lenses which don't offer much benefit, IMO. The Vipers have 30mm tubes which give you lots of adjustment range for elevation if that's important.

You'd be good with either choice

"or the SS 3-9 which is maybe durable, has great but bulky turrets"

As you can see, I was referring to SS 3-9 having bulky turrets.

====

To the OP. As you can see, here is exactly what I was talking about. Most members will disagree with me because they prefer one-inch tubes and smaller objective size as they believe there is no benefit to the larger tubes unless you need the elevation.

So here are your choices:

1. You fall for the "lighter is better" and will build a 5lb rifle (including scope)

2. You fall for the "bigger (glass) is better" and will buy large diameter heavy scope

Either way, regardless of your choice, you will be called stupid by at least half of the members on this forum.

Edit: BTW the Leica scope I was referring to is 25.5oz and about 3oz heavier than the two Vortex scopes you currently own. So if 3oz is a deal breaker, please disregard my suggestion.

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/29/17.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You are smart enough to realize no one has a gun to your head forcing you to continue to post here?

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by wdenike
You are smart enough to realize no one has a gun to your head forcing you to continue to post here?

Take care, Willie

Correct, it just became a tradition to start fights with me and twisting my words as you can see above from @CJC73 post where he is accusing me of saying that Loopy and Zeiss has bulky turrets which obviously I never said.

Hey, I'm fine with others taking stabs at me, just don't put your own BS words in my mouth and don't try to twist my posts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, with the big splash you made here. I'd say 100% of your problems are self inflicted. Carry on, I'll be quiet.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by wdenike
Well, with the big splash you made here. I'd say 100% of your problems are self inflicted. Carry on, I'll be quiet.

Take care, Willie

My problems huh? How funny.

Again, the only problem around here is guys like you that will come and post personal insults unrelated to the topic while providing no value.

Or was there any other reason why you posted in this thread and took and low-blow stab at me?

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/29/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=persiandog][quote=ShakyHands]

with Loopy 6x and Conquest 3-9 or the SS 3-9 which is maybe durable, has great but bulky turrets .

So you did say it, maybe I misunderstood the structure, I apoligize.... But not accusing you of anything. I also said I have 3 HSTs which are 30mm tubes, how does that portray I prefer smaller tubes. I said I prefer smaller objectives! So you're the one twisting words.

Larger tubes allow more adjustment and stronger tubes. PERIOD! Not sure why you cannot understand this simple concept.

Great! You prefer larger objectives. Your choice. But tube size has nothing to do with light gathering or transferring the light to the eye

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.