Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As I've stated before, I'm just getting started into reloading and I'm ready to purchase my dies for 243 Win, 270 Win & 300WM. I've seen several people recommend Lee dies for bullet seating due to the calibrated/etched "adjustment screw" found on top of the die. It appears that Redding makes a similar seating die as well.

To keep things as simple and precise as possible, would I be better served purchasing the Lee or Redding bullet seating dies versus RCBS and how simple/precise are the adjustments on the RCBS seating dies?

Thanks.

Last edited by StudDuck; 11/30/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The seater of the Redding is much easier and precise to use over the RCBS. Both are quality dies but I prefer Redding if given a choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use lee dies for pretty much everything and have for many years. Also use Redding, which is what I started with. RCBS doesn't do much for me.

Regards,

Tom
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not familiar with any "calibrated/etched" seating screw Lee dies. Are you referring to the Forster Ultra or Redding Competition type seating dies?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm a newby,so take it for what it's worth but I've been buying the Forster Benchrest dies because the seater uses the sliding bullet sleeve guide that supposedly helps with alignment. It basically works like the Redding but is cheaper. The micrometer dies are nice but I don't think necessary. You can get where you want to be by slightly adjusting the seating screw and measuring. All you might have to do is pull a bullet on your dummy round if you wind up seating deeper than you wanted or either build another dummy round for a longer COAL if you decide to go that route.

What the micrometer dies do is to instantly allow you to adjust exactly where you want to be from the lands when you find that spot. You can do the same with a stem screw,it just takes longer and a lot more measuring.( at least that's my understanding,anyone can correct me if I am somehow mistaken).

IC B2

G
G
I have been reloading for about 15 years and have dies from about every manufacturer. Lately though I have been leaning towards hornady does. I believe you are getting a lot of quality for the price of the dies.

Their searing die has the floating collar. They also have a micrometer seating stem ($25) that can be added to their seating dies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look at the Lee Ultimate 4 die set. Best thing about it is you get the collet neck sizing die. I love using that die as there's no need for lube on your cases. Saves a lot of time. The set also comes with a shell holder.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011184659/lee-ultimate-4-die-set

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by glockky
I have been reloading for about 15 years and have dies from about every manufacturer. Lately though I have been leaning towards hornady does. I believe you are getting a lot of quality for the price of the dies.

Their searing die has the floating collar. They also have a micrometer seating stem ($25) that can be added to their seating dies.

In my experience with several sets the Hornady seaters do not perform on par with the Forster and Redding "competition" units.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mostly use Redding dies, but have one set of RCBS for an unusual wildcat. All will load accurate ammo if I pay attention to what I am doing.

FWIW, I still have the first die set I ever bought in the early 1960s: a Pacific Durachrome three die set for my old .30-06. I have never bothered to "upgrade" as they continue to work very well. Last weekend, I went out with some 168-grain Berger Hunting VLD loads to try, and JB's recommended 57.5 grains of IMR 4451 put three shots in about half an inch at 100 yards. grin

Last edited by mudhen; 11/30/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm not familiar with any "calibrated/etched" seating screw Lee dies. Are you referring to the Forster Ultra or Redding Competition type seating dies?

You are correct, in my haste I stated Lee rather than Redding Competition.

That being said, are the Forster or Redding Competition dies worth the extra money?

Last edited by StudDuck; 11/30/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Game rifles.........Lee..........best bang for the buck.........

buy the 3 pc 'deluxe' set.......you'll get the collet neck sizer........FL & seater......SH too !

My dog guns....I use a combination of Redding bushing neck dies........Forster BR seater dies.......

But also have Lee collet dies in the mix......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most of the dies in my loading room are made by Lee. They've always worked well for me, particularly the collet neck dies. The regular seating dies are awfully nice as well. An easy way to make precise adjustments with them is to put a little sharpie dot on top of the seating depth knob. Indexing it off of the lock nuts points gives ~.008" change IIRC.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Forster by a landslide.......then Redding!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I posted earlier the Lee 4 die set but actually I would get the Lee 2 die neck sizing set. That's all I have so far for my most recently acquired rifle, a 338 Win. Mag. The 4 die set comes with a crimp die which I have never used in over 30 years of reloading. I may eventually buy a Redding body die in 338 WM, as I've read on here that it works well for occasionally bumping the shoulder back when neck sized cases begin to get difficult to chamber.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011211120/lee-collet-2-die-neck-sizer-set

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've got a little bit of everything as far as dies on my bench (RCBS, LEE, Redding and Forster). If I could do it all over again and start from scratch, I would get the following- Lee Collet Die, Redding Body Die and Forster Bullet Seater Die.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
RCBS and Redding

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I'm usually a bang for the buck guy like Tikka Nut, I do have Forster, Redding, RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman etc. I even have a few odd balls like Lachmiller, and a WE English Pak Tool.

I think that the last 3-4 sets I have purchased have been Redding, and 1 Forester.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I mainly own lee, but I have hornady, rcbs, ch4d, and redding. For most reloading I think the lee is all you need. I haven't had any issues with them. I bought the lee rgb" really great buy" dies for the 3006 ,8mm mauser, 6.5x55, 308 win,, 3 dies lee sets for 300 wm, 7.62x39, 223, and 222 rem. the 300 blk is hornady. 9.3x57's are rcbs I think. Finally my 8mm-06 AI are made by CH4D. all work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
RCBS or Lee are my two favorites.

If Redding used a vent hole like RCBS they would be a great choice.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Forster by a landslide.......then Redding!

Yep,

Start with quality. The simple quality solution is Forster.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.