Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12432439 11/30/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I set out to build an ugly 10/22. It's not as bad as I originally envisioned, but it is pretty damn bad. Hogue stock, BX trigger and ER shaw barrel. I topped it off with a Bushnell Custom Gold Scope (Weaver 40/44) 4-12x44. I am anxious to see what it'll do on paper.

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...ia/33549107885/medium/1512080330/enhance[/img]

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's not ugly. It'll shoot.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Glad you rang in DF. I have heard about barrel droop with heavy barrel 10/22s. This barrel floats. Do I need to do anything about it? Does yours float in your Hogue

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No. Mine has a tight forearm fit, which I like in the 10-22. Unless the barrel is threaded into the receiver, I don't want a free floated 10-22.

With another one, I glassed the rear of the action and forearm tip. After that dried, I put bedding compound under the lock up wedge, pulled it down into the glass with the action screw. That puts downward pressure on the barrel/receiver junction, which is fastened at the bottom. It also makes the barreled action pretty rigid.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just removed the stock to look at it. For lack of a better way to describe it, it is ribbed. It has several structural transverse ribs in the barrel channel. A few inches forward of the action screw is a rib that is higher than the others. When you tighten down the action screw, that rib supports the barrel. If it needs more support forward of that, I have no idea how to go about it.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Shoot it and see what it does. I like barrel support the way the barrel attaches to the receiver. Sounds like you have it, just not at the tip.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Looks great to me.Very curious to see how you like the Shaw barrel

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
No. Mine has a tight forearm fit, which I like in the 10-22. Unless the barrel is threaded into the receiver, I don't want a free floated 10-22.

With another one, I glassed the rear of the action and forearm tip. After that dried, I put bedding compound under the lock up wedge, pulled it down into the glass with the action screw. That puts downward pressure on the barrel/receiver junction, which is fastened at the bottom. It also makes the barreled action pretty rigid.

[Linked Image]

Dirt,
Is that a factory deluxe sporter stock? Looks great!!!

One too many hobbies....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am going to go ring it out in a few hours.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image]

Dirt,
Is that a factory deluxe sporter stock? Looks great!!!

It is an early walnut deluxe that I refinished, recut the checkering.

Too bad they don't make them like that any more.

The earlier picture shows a Jard fire control assembly, tuned to perfection.

This one is the earlier aluminum Ruger assembly. I did a trigger job using Clark and Volquartsen parts, installed a trigger stop. It's not quite as good as the Jard, but pretty close.

The suppressor with subsonic Remington ammo is a hoot to shoot. The most noise is bullet stike and bolt closing. The synthetic bolt stop is quieter than the factory steel part.

DF

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
DF, Beautiful! I should send you one of mine to do the same to! Nick

One too many hobbies....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I took it out and shot it today. I was kinda underwhelmed. It may take a little more shooting before it does its best work. The pic shows what my 10/22 did on the left, what my 10/22 magnum (3 shots) did in the middle and what my 77/22 did on the right. Groups are five shots at 50 yards. None of the ammo was el-cheapo and none was top of the line. It was all 40 grain solid stuff. Groups measured center to center with dial caliper.

10/22 77/22

Federal Premium Target .95 .55
Norma Match 22 .48 .38
Aguila 22 Target .97 .82
Norma TAC 22 .77 .70
Federal High Velocity Match .60 .75

The pleasant surprise of the day was the ratted out 10/22 magnum that spent 3 days in saltwater mud soup following Katrina. I found that It likes 30 grain V max ammo. The 3 shot group of .34, especially given the horrendous trigger, was shocking. I then shot two sub one inch groups at 100 yards with it. Oh, and it wears a cheap Bushnell fixed 4 power. I love the BX trigger on the 10/22. That was my first experience with one. The Weaver scope was so/so. The Cabelas Magnitude on the 77/22 that I paid $99 for is a very nice. My only complaint about it is the eye box is fussy.

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...dia/33552055102/large/1512164306/enhance[/img]

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/01/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here are pictures of the bedding system described earlier.

First two steps, let dry then do the last one.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/05/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Norma Match shot well in your .22 lrs. You learned quite a bit with your first outing with the new rifle. You know what ammo it likes. Question: what were the wind conditions like (velocity/consistent? direction/switchy?). Anyone shooting caring about shooting for group size should be shooting over wind flags and watching them like a hawk. The wind will blow a .22 round around significantly at 50 yards. To get the best groups you should be doping the wind. Anyone ignoring the wind and just holding center is not really getting a true picture of what their rifle/ammo is capable of producing.

http://www.thewindisnotyourfriend.com/read/long-rifle-wind.html

especially look at the chart linked immediately below
http://www.thewindisnotyourfriend.com/read/bernoulli.html

Example: I was recently at my gun club pistol shooting and there was a fellow shooting a Stag Arms AR trying to hit a gong at 250 yds. The wind was blowing left to right pretty strongly, gusting up about 15 mph. He was getting frustrated as he had only managed a few hits. I asked if I could take a shot. He said sure and I then asked about how the rifle was sighted. He said it was zeroed for 200 yrds. I held a little high but off to the left of the gong by about a 6 inches. I rang it with the first shot. He was surprised. When I asked where he was holding; he was just holding center.

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/05/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cooper, I know it wasn't breezy. Any wind that was present didn't register. I wasn't using flags though. Thanks for the links, I'll look them over in a bit.

I have read quite a bit about 22 barrels needing a couple hundred round break in before they do their best work. Is that y'alls experience as well?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whenever I had a new barrel put on one of my rimfire benchrest rifles (and these are hand lapped custom barrels) the gunsmith always had me shoot a brick of cheap lead std vel ammo thru it to smooth out/fill in any marks left by the chamber reamer. Once that is done, and you start searching for the ammo or lot # that shoots best in your rifle, make sure you clean your barrel between ammo brands. They all use different lube and you want to clean out the brand Xs lube that's coating your barrel before shooting brand Y. Then, it'll take 5-10 shots with the new ammo before their lube fully coats your bore. Once all that is done, then you can shoot for groups that'll be representative of what your rifle/ammo combo is capable of doing.

What I learned after shooting over flags for the 15 years I shot rimfire benchrest is: there is ALWAYS a condition going on that the shooter needs to pay attention to. Sometimes it will seem calm at your bench but your flags will show a wind coming thru between you and the target. I've seen many times where my flags across that 50 yards would show wind going right-left AND left-right. You even have to watch if the sun goes in and out of the clouds. I have seen where on a partly cloudy day where the sun will come out and all of a sudden you will get a thermal that will take your bullet high. Benchrest shooters will tell you that there is always something going on and those who shoot the best pay attention to everything. Any change in condition should result in going to a sighter to see what effect it has on your bullet. It's a fascinating thing trying to dope the conditions. Few master it, but every shooter who really wants to shoot as accurately as possible is smart to get a set of wind flags and try to learn how to shoot the conditions. To do anything else is really just plinking.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

Walnut stocked gun with suppressor shoots std. vel into one hole at 50'. Subsonic not quite as accurate, but quiet.

Barrel is a Walther supplied by Clark Custom, Shreveport, LA. Suppressor, an AAC.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Coop, you have been a gold mine of info. I appreciate it bud!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just ordered a pile of assorted rimfire ammo. Next calm day I have off, I am going to go out and do some extensive testing. I am going to find my accuracy load, then I am going to find the best high velocity hunting type load.

Have those of you that have done extensive range shooting found that you lose your ability to concentrate fully as time wears on?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oops. Duplicate.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/07/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.