Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone seen a huge difference in accuracy mixing brands of brass like Hornady, Remington, Winchester. I got a bunch of Winchester and Hornady at the range some guy come in shot up a bunch of factory ammo and thought about sizing it and loading it with my others.

Tater
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I keep them segregated. Neck thicknesses vary, hardness varies, internal capacities vary, ...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In general, mixing head stamps is not a good idea. Different neck thickness and volumes will make for different pressures.
It can also give you split groups.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I keep them separated too. And if I end up with less than a full box, that's OK. I'll treat that as a separate lot.

Dale

This space for rent

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
I keep them segregated. Neck thicknesses vary, hardness varies, internal capacities vary, ...

Yep.

+1

DF

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have never had any riots in my loading room when mixing brass.

If hunting loads is what you are after load some of both and see if one type makes a difference.

I just treat them as brass and they have not complained. whistle

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not mixing brass was one of the rules I was taught when I started reloading more than 40 yrs. ago and I have never violated the rule. Nearly all my brass has come from factory ammo and the only brand I've ever bought is Winchester.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgive my ignorance, as I am just starting into reloading.

I understand the reason for not mixing brands of brass, but I assume it doesn't hurt to load brass of the same manufacture from several different lots, correct? (I hope I explained that clearly)

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you're picky about uniformity you won't mix lots either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I understand the reason for not mixing brands of brass, but I assume it doesn't hurt to load brass of the same manufacture from several different lots, correct? (I hope I explained that clearly)

Like a lot of things it depends. As long as you are not loading near max pressures and are only plinking, loading from different lots/manufacturers shouldn't cause any problem. For near max pressures and serious accuracy work you would not want to mix head stamps and may even want to separate lots of brass by weighing each one and grouping them into lots of similar weight.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Using the same manufacturer's brass I have been able to load ammo for my hunting rifles that shoot 1-1.5" five shot groups. Weighing, checking neck thickness etc. usually does not yield enough improvement in hunting rifles to be worth the time. Benchrest rifles are another story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Like a lot of things it depends. As long as you are not loading near max pressures and are only plinking, loading from different lots/manufacturers shouldn't cause any problem. For near max pressures and serious accuracy work you would not want to mix head stamps and may even want to separate lots of brass by weighing each one and grouping them into lots of similar weight.

I appreciate the clarification. How much weight difference would justify separating them into different groups?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have never had any riots in my loading room when mixing brass.

Diversity...?? blush

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

I appreciate the clarification. How much weight difference would justify separating them into different groups?

I don't know cuz I've never bothered. I only load for hunting and all of my rifles will group into 1 1/2" with most doing less than an inch. Never thought it was worth my time.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was given several hundred .222 cases several years ago from two sources. Most was Winchester and about a fourth was Remington. Big difference in weights, more than ten percent from lightest to heaviest as I recall. I compared the same powder charges in the light cases and the heavy ones. Muzzle velocities varied 100 fps or more. I wouldn't want to mix this brass.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Keep the brass separated by head stamp.
If not the same batch I would also sort by weight.
It does make a difference for grouping.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the brass for larger cases is within ±5g, the head stamp doesn't much matter. There is more variance than that even in the same brand and same lot of brass. Invariably I cull two or three cases out of every lot of 50 new cases. If you don't prep brass and really don't care about accuracy, then I wouldn't worry. It's worth the time to weigh any new brass, prep and have it all quite similar if not identical.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't speak to accuracy...but I am very careful not to do it based on this experience: Working a load up for my Weatherby Mark V in 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Had all of my load workup done, nice load with 160's moving along at a nominal average of 3,030 fps. Shooting for sight in and my recoil and muzzle blast increased...chronograph said a touch over 3,200...what the heck!!!! Upon inspection I had loaded up a Remington headstamped 7mm Weatherby when my load workup was all done with Weatherby/Norma brass.

I sorted all of my brass a second time, and that was the one case that slipped through the first sorting.

Could have been real bad.....I don't mix headstamps at all, ever.

I do have a handful of Remington headstamped 7mm Wby brass if someone wants to pay shipping ;-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That brass probably weighed a lot more than the Weatherby/Norma brass. If you weigh brass and keep it as stated at ±5g, there wouldn't be any problem. Benchrest matches have been won with cases that may have as many as 5 or 6 different headstamps. It's all with the internal volume of the case.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pseshooter300: Learned to NOT do THAT (mix brands of brass for a Big Game Rifle!) many years ago.
Mixing brass just begs for problems and inaccuracy.
Be patient and find/use all one brand.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.