Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 9# bone in standing rib roast ordered for a dinner party. I am torn between cooking it in the oven or in my kamado ceramic grill.

Anyone have experience /preference with cooking either way ?

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Boy, I hate to seem boring......but a fine cut of beef such as that should be cooked in the oven.

Little salt and pepper and a good sear followed by lower heat should do fine.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have read where you cook it at 500* for 30 min then drop the temp down to 300-325 and go from there. Our group will have done was requests from med rate to well done. Do I pull off a piece and stick it back in the oven to the required temp? I had thought about finishing off on the grill to for the well done piece.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd do it in the ceramic grill with heat deflectors low & slow until it's about 20-30 degrees below what you want it to finish at, then open the vents up all the way, and cook super hot until you hit the target temp. Let it rest a good half hour before you carve it. Lots a ways to do it, but that's how I'd do it.

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The oven method I use is 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound, then shut the oven off and do not open for 2 1/2 hours.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
The best prime ribs I’ve had were those cooked low and slow In an Alto Sham oven. Rub them down with kosher salt, coarse cracked pepper, and garlic. We’d cook them at 250 ish I believe, fat cap up, until they hit rare / medrare in the center.

They always turned out great. Haven’t been able to better it, but then I don’t have an Alto Sham at home.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The latest is to cook it long & slow @ 250 degrees until pre-rare ( about 120 degrees) then crank it up and sear it for a crust. 20% less shrinkage this way. I've tried it and it works.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tmitch
The oven method I use is 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound, then shut the oven off and do not open for 2 1/2 hours.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Had one, done like this, at my brother's on Saturday night !

Beautiful.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Boy, I hate to seem boring......but a fine cut of beef such as that should be cooked in the oven.

Little salt and pepper and a good sear followed by lower heat should do fine.

I'd lean this way too, but one of the finest meals I've ever had centered around a salt crusted, smoked prime rib. I don't know how long it was smoked, or if it was oven finished, but man it was good.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have decided to do the reverse wear method on the grill. Low and slow to med rare the let it rest while I get the grill back up to 500* for the sear. I think this method allows the whole rib to be cooked the same doneness from out to in instead of it being more done at the outer portion and less done on the inside

Kosher salt and cracker black pepper is all I am going to do.

I hate it when I go to a restaurant and they try to make a great piece of meat better by adding crap to it. I want to taste the meat personally.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
I have read where you cook it at 500* for 30 min then drop the temp down to 300-325 and go from there. Our group will have done was requests from med rate to well done. Do I pull off a piece and stick it back in the oven to the required temp? I had thought about finishing off on the grill to for the well done piece.

It is impossible to cook beef to everyone's satisfaction as far as doneness is concerned. I no longer even try; here it is, enjoy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are doing just one roast, I like the reverse sear.

Someday I want to try it like a steakhouse in FL does it. They put their prime ribs in overnight in a 130 degree oven, cook them rare and make them to order by submerging individual cuts in a boiling pot of au jus. Want medium, 30 seconds, want we'll done, two minutes. ( just an example, don't know what actual times are ) Since they are served with au jus laddled on top from the kitchen, apparently people don't know they are boiled to order! Most home equipment won't go this low. Even on warm my oven only goes down to 170. But I have done rib steaks that low till 115-120 internal and then sear in a screaming hot cast iron pan. Perfect rose/pink edge to edge with a 1/16" crust.

Sean
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We are going to sous vide one on Christmas. First time doing so.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The cut of beef is the best of the best. Cook it as well as you can, and enjoy it.

What about trimmin's?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sean - I like that Fl. idea. May try it for Christmas. Years ago,(70's) the local Hotel had Sat. night prime rib for $7 or so. On Sunday, @ the bar, you could get a Hot Beef sandwich for $1.75. A slice of prime rib with au jus on toast with fries. Couldn't beat it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The cut of beef is the best of the best. Cook it as well as you can, and enjoy it.

What about trimmin's?

I did beef barley stew once with the rib bones. Fire roasted pasilla chiles and mushrooms added.

Taconic, I still think my 170 oven would do a hell of a job with that method. But I'd have no need for the boiling au jus! Serve it rosey red with some smashed red potatoes and Yorkshire pudding.

Sean
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well dinner was last night and the meat was absolutely perfect. Took the roast out of the fridge at noon, did a corse salt, cracked pepper and garlic salt rub.
I got the charcoal lit at 1:15, let the temp rise to 250* then put the heat deflector in for indirect cooking. Put the meat on at 2pm let it cook for 3hrs. Took it off at about 5:00 when it was 118*. Wrapper it in foil for 20-30 min while I crank the temp up to about 600*, took the deflector out so the full heat would hit the roast. Let it go for about 20-30 min. Temp was 135* when I pulled it off. The ends were almost the same as the middle in regards to doneness. I had to put two pieces back on the grill for those who wanted it bloodless.

I had never cooked a $100 piece of meat. I was nervous as all get out but all turned out well.

The good thing was I had a nice slice left over for a breakfast sandwich this morning. You can’t beat that with a stick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done on the roast, pardon the pun. I have done these several ways over the years and I will say if doing the oven method, the fully encrusted rock salt approach is great. Thing is for me, I like several of the methods available both on the grill and in the oven. I pick which one talks to me that particular night.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like I'm coming to this conversation a good bit late, but I'll add a two cents away. I've done ribs roast several ways and I'm always a little anxious about getting it to medium rare or even worse over cooking it. My solution is to sous vide it. It's almost fool proof. It's also not important how long it's left in the sous vide bath, an hour + or - is no problem. I finish it on smoking ( a minute per side)hot oak wood coals. What you'll end up with is a gorgeous piece of meat cooked to the same color all the way through with a nice crusty/browned exterior.

Last edited by super T; 12/11/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.