Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Planning on building an "AR10" and want to keep the weight down. I've seen lots of good comments about the Xanthos receiver set that comes in at an impressive 16ish ounces but they omit the fwd assist to cut weight. Would you guys consider that a deal breaker? I don't think I've ever had to use it although I don't have as high an ammo volume of AR shooting history as I'm sure some here have.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, I would not consider that a deal breaker.

If you need to ease the bolt forward, use your thumb in the depression on the side of the carrier to seat the bolt.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FA isn't all that useful in my experience for field conditions most of us see. Might be a different story if your in combat with a dirty weapon full of dirt and sand. Lots of commercial uppers are built without it anymore.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All depends on what you plan to do with it. I have them on all my uppers and use them from time to time. (nothing to do with bad ammo or dirty guns).

BY FAR the one I use the most is on my 6.5 Grendel that I use for hunting, having to do with loading and chamber checking quietly. I will use it several times a day.

Last edited by cas6969; 12/03/17.
H
H
I much prefer to have one. I could live without FA, but the deflector is a must.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I agree with cas6969: I’d say you need it more often with certain scenarios, but it’s a PITA if you DO need one and don’t have one.....and the bolt scallop ain’t enough when they really stick.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I agree with cas6969: I’d say you need it more often with certain scenarios, but it’s a PITA if you DO need one and don’t have one.....and the bolt scallop ain’t enough when they really stick.

If the round is really stuck, why would I want to jam it on in to the chamber? Wouldn't it be better to eject the out of spec cartridge and clear the gun to chamber a normal in spec cartridge?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cas6969
All depends on what you plan to do with it. I have them on all my uppers and use them from time to time. (nothing to do with bad ammo or dirty guns).

BY FAR the one I use the most is on my 6.5 Grendel that I use for hunting, having to do with loading and chamber checking quietly. I will use it several times a day.

This ^^

I always tap mine after a chamber check to assure bolt is fully engaged.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like having the FA because I may load and unload my gun quite a bit. Sometimes I also want to keep loading most down too

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Other than for loading quietly before a hunt, I've never had a reason to use the FA. If a round didn't chamber fully I pull it back out, not jam it in harder.

I do have a few AR rifles set up for hunting though; on most of those I converted to reciprocating side charge handles and deleted the FA. It seems (to me) a bit easier to close the bolt quietly that way. Then again, I don't think it's ever made a difference in hunting either, so it's really just personal preference.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

If the round is really stuck, why would I want to jam it on in to the chamber? Wouldn't it be better to eject the out of spec cartridge and clear the gun to chamber a normal in spec cartridge?

Yes, per proper tac training.,,,,but that’s not always the hunting reason to need one: weather, dirt, quiet, etc....it’s probably more useful on my hunting ARs than my issue M4A1....just because I often can’t slam things around to overcome a piece of grass or tree bark or mud, or just natural friction between some bolts and carriers/gas rings, when I’m hunting and I have to ease a bolt closed. Sometimes you can thumb the scallop. Sometimes you can’t. A FA comes in handy then. JME I’ve just found that HUNTING an AR often requires a different approach than the typical manual of arms from most conventional mil or LE training.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/11/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People always say that "Why would you try to jam it in harder?" I've never tried to jam one in harder, but I have had them where all they needed was a little nudge.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get a side-charge and be done with it.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Back in the Marines in the early 80's when the 16A1's did not have a F.A., they jammed a bunch, especially in a sandy environment. Many bad mouthed it and for good reason. Also many wished for the M14's.
When the A2's came out. They had the FA and for a reason. Never had problems afterwards. Dependability became the norm. Granted, not many will use their rifle in adverse conditions, but if you have a solution that works. Why would you not want it. Find somewhere else to cut the weight.
Safe hunting.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
My preferred "forward assist":

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 12/12/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yup. The above is the way to go, whether on the left or the right.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’d agree....but if you don’t have a side charger, you might want a FA, and I’m talking hunting only. Until we start issuing a side charger, I don’t want the training scars.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think the current mil spec upper is as good as it gets. FA, use it or ignore it and I don't want a side charger, the current version works just fine and I can close the dust cover to seal it off when I'm on the 4 wheeler.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TWR
I think the current mil spec upper is as good as it gets. FA, use it or ignore it and I don't want a side charger, the current version works just fine and I can close the dust cover to seal it off when I'm on the 4 wheeler.

I'm with you.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MLF
Back in the Marines in the early 80's when the 16A1's did not have a F.A.

You must have had some old rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.