Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

I just picked up a Grohmann #103 Short Skinner on a whim and wondered if anyone here had experience with their knives? It is a stainless steel blade with rosewood handle.

SS

Attached Images
Grohmann.jpg (31.13 KB, 139 downloads)

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used the Grohmann #2 Trout and Bird knife with complete satisfaction as a whitetail knife. Of course, the steel is softer than the 154CM, D2, and S30V that I usually employ but it takes a nice edge. This knife pattern made by a really good custom maker using really good steel and Micarta would be impressive indeed. But as it is the Grohmann is a very good knife at an excellent price point.

RS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one of their D. H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife and think that it is a good knife for anything from trout to whitetails.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I carried one for most of my Canadian Armed Forces career.
Great knife!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all. The only negative I have heard about them is that they don't hold an edge really well. Hopefully I find that to not be the case.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I bought a similar model(don't recall the exact model name) in Halifax 28 years ago on the way to Newfoundland for a moose hunt. Used it to help my guide skin a nice bull. Worked great and was the sharpest factory knife I ever bought. Still using it and very pleased.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Thanks all. The only negative I have heard about them is that they don't hold an edge really well. Hopefully I find that to not be the case.

SS

They are very easy to re-sharpen as required. Some hold an edge better than others but none I have seen were terrible really.
A very good knife for the money.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a variety of them, use the bird & trout as my whitetail knife. Just keep it out of bone. I also have the folder version of the Canadian Belt knife. Much less impressed with it than the same in straight.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The civilian version of the Canadian Forces survival knife is a heck of a lot of knife in a small space for a small price. Usually I don't like "survival knives." They tend toward the Rambo-poser styles. But this one probably would help you survive in a real-life situation.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love the Canadian Belt Knife... this one has sentimental value. My father, not knowing I already owned one, happened to go to the factory in Nova Scotia, and bought this for me as a Christmas gift 20 years ago. It's pretty much the only knife I use and has taken apart a lot of elk:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Love the Canadian Belt Knife... this one has sentimental value. My father, not knowing I already owned one, happened to go to the factory in Nova Scotia, and bought this for me as a Christmas gift 20 years ago. It's pretty much the only knife I use and has taken apart a lot of elk:

[Linked Image]

I have an identical one I picked up when I lived in Canada a few years back

Last edited by BWalker; 12/02/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.