Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a couple of other questions. First, do you clean the barrel like you would a center fire? Do you use bore guides and where do you buy them, never seen any 22 lr but that may be because I never needed one. Second question, how do the Savage bolt action 22lr rifles shoot? Are they worth buying or is it better to spend the money on a different brand? I lied I have a third question! Some of the 22 ammo that has been mentioned, I never heard of much less shot. Where can it be bought or ordered? Thanks. Daniel

Last edited by DLALLDER; 12/05/17.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to number 1, I usually only clean my .22s if accuracy falls off or if I want to test for accuracy with a different ammo so the new lube can prep the bore. Not sure how much difference it makes. Of late I've been using a bore snake with solvent, being very careful to prevent the string from rubbing against the crown. No doubt the boys with fine match or custom barrels have other methods. It used to be said that the steel in .22 barrels was soft and easily damaged; don't know if that's the case now, but it probably depends on the rifle.

For my .22 CFs, I use a guide or drilled-out case with a .17 rod and nylon brush with patches and a carbon .22 rod for full-caliber (usually nylon) brushes. The bore-snake gets used for removing oil from the bore or a quick wipe.

Ammo Seek can help you find stuff, or go to Midway, Graf's, or Champion Shooters for the fancy stuff. Better sit down before you look at the prices for some of it! Again, the .17 HMR performs very well and is fairly cheap to shoot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people will tell you cleaning the barrel of a rimfire regularly isn't important. In fact some folks have done tests between a seasoned bore and a clean one and the seasoned one seems to do better. Savage heavy barrel rimfires are the best value going. I just placed my first ammo order with Outdoor Limited. Their rimfire prices are the best I have found online, as is their selection.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/05/17.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The ammo that is the most consistent in all 4 of my .22 rimfires is CCI SV LR. I have a Marlin 39a, 2 10/22s and a H&R Sportster.

As for cleaning, I run a .22 bore snake through them 1-2 times per yr., that's it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Eley tenex. Grandfather gave me a brick years ago. I used to plink with the stuff before I finally figured out what it was.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I am interested information about what brand of 22lr ammo you consider the most accurate. Please give your opinion only on brands you have actually have used and please include rifle used. I am headed for a prairie dog hunt and plan to take a couple of rimfires with me plus the 223s.

I am seeing a lot of recommendations for match and standard velocity ammo in the replies. If I am reading your post correctly you plan on using the 22's to shoot PD's, if that is the case then you need to go with a hollow point high-velocity ammo - not match or standard velocity ammo.

The round nose standard velocity will kill them eventually but the great majority will die down their hole. 22 LR is marginal for PD's at best, especially larger ones, about 75 yds or so is the effective killing range even using high-velocity hollow points, even a PD deserves as painless death as possible.

As far as cleaning a 22 I am in the camp that favors a Boresnake.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought some of these with my most recent order and am looking forward to trying them. Federal Hunter Match.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/rimfire/bullet/hunter-match/hunter-match/

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not a bench rest guy but my 10-22T that I had cut to 16+" with CCI velocitors will bang my 3" gong at 100 yards with boring consistency. My 12 year old has no problem doing it. Scope is a Leupold 4x with heavy duplex reticle. That scope just got moved to a different rifle so am planning to order same scope with a German 4 reticle to replace it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to cleaning it's pretty much an annual type feel good thing for me. Extremely dry climate here with little to no worries about moisture induced corrosion. With every cleaning though, it seems each one of my units needs a run of about 20 to 25 rds down the barrel before accuracy/precision settles in again. Early on, I'd clean, head to the range, and chase zero for 20 or 30 rds. In the end, the scope would end up precisely on the settings I started with. Obviously, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Given the small surface area of 22 slugs, I think it takes quite a few rounds for them to put down whatever substances they carry for the entire length of ones barrel.

As to being instantly lethal, yes on the hollow points. I think even a field mouse can make it to cover when one is shooting solids. I'm mostly a Beldings ground squirrel shooter, and one for sure hears the hits and notices that they get tossed about with hollow points. With solids, one hears little, and if none of the central nervous system is damaged, they'll make it home.

Have fun,

Last edited by 1minute; 12/05/17.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bore snake only is my regime. Solvent then a light coating of preservative. Usually around 2 to 3 hundred rounds or when you see the accuracy degrade. If you are out in the cold, place your gun in a room temperature case before coming in to a warm house. Leave the gun case closed for at least over night. That will help keep condensation out of the bore. Most .22 Long Rifle guns need about 30 rounds shot through them after a thorough cleaning to get back to where they shoot the best.

Like someone already said Savage makes some good .22's for the money.

Now if can find an old West German Savage-Anschutz 54 sporter....

.....never mind.

I have found that the Marlins with the Micro-Grooved barrels are more forgiving with different brands of ammo. But I do not know about buying a brand new late model. Some one here might know.

Try some CCI Velocitor's in your new gun.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
DALLDER,

I am a big fan of CCI Subsonic 40gr HP. I have used it in a bunch of different .22's, some match rifles, most hunting rifles. All of them shoot it very well.

My current favorite, and most accurate repeater I own, is a Ruger American Rimfire Compact with a fixed 8x Leupold scope. I have shot 5 shot groups with this rifle and the CCI ammo that are under 1" @ 100 yards, but most groups run just over 1". I have used these bullets on raccoons, possums, squirrels, and crows. They work really well.

Here is the link to really good prices for the ammo; LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with Wolf Match Rifle, and great results with Federal Premium Ultra Match. Best for me has to be Eley Tennex

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Savage rimfires are good.
If I was buying a rimfire rifle for prairie dogs, I'd surely look at a 17 HMR.
Probably a Marlin XT-17V, or one of its variations, which come with both 4 and 7 round mags. I've seen these heavy barrelled rifles new for about two bills. Or a stainless laminated model for a bit more. Even with the heavy barrels these are relatively light and handy rifles.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-17v

If I didn't mind spending about 3 or 4 times as much, I'd get a Ruger 77/17 in 17 WSM maybe.
http://www.ruger.com/products/77Series7717/models.html

But if you like one of the Savage models I'm sure it would be a fine and accurate rifle.

CZ's have a large following over at Rimfire Central, so there must be something to it. I love the little centerfire 527, but have never looked at a CZ rimfire.

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/05/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For my bench rifles and Cooper 57M, I will clean after every box of shells and I use a bore guide and a quality one-piece cleaning rod (Dewey 20 cal rod). For my standard 10/22 and other utility grade .22s that don't have match chambers I am less fussy as they are not capable of the type of accuracy as my competition rifles. For them I will use a bore snake and not clean as often and it won't make much difference. The last thing you want to do is damage a bore. That will cause more accuracy problems than clean vs dirty. As to where to find the ammo that you haven't heard of; just google it and places to purchase them to try will pop up. As to the best reasonably priced decent .22, I would go with the CZ. They are quality rifles with the only downside for me is that the safety is backwards to what most of us are used to.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Shooting PDs with ANY 22 Long Rifle ammo will result in wounded Dogs going down the hole, especially this time of year when they are grown.

I went on a hunt last year with 2 guys who insisted on using 22s, so I did also. We were shooting out of a Suburban, slowly driving thru towns.

This wasn't at long range and to miss a PD would be very unusual for me. I head shot every one I could but even then, still lost some down the holes. This was with WW Power Points. I'm not making a right or wrong judgment on using 22s --- but it's not for me. I generally use 3 .223s and enjoy it much more than rimfires. I DO shoot Richardson's Ground Squirrels with a VQed 10-22 and enjoy it a lot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
248 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.