Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am interested information about what brand of 22lr ammo you consider the most accurate. Please give your opinion only on brands you have actually have used and please include rifle used. I am headed for a prairie dog hunt and plan to take a couple of rimfires with me plus the 223s.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 12/03/17.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just shoot whatever I got out of my Marlin 39M. Most of it hits where I aim it. The biggest difference is how much noise it makes.

I'm not much help, I know. But I do like the Super-X 1330.

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/03/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
RWS SS HP has shot very well in both a CZ 453 and my current Ruger 77/22 RSI. Aguila Match about equals it, but no HP, of course.
Neither is cheap, though, especially the RWS. Standard velocity ammo doesn't shoot as flat as HS, but wind-drifts less.

.22s can be very finicky, and you really need to test candidates in your rifle. Most shooters seem to think that you have to shoot 10 rounds or so with each ammo type to "season" the bore with the different lube before test results will be accurate.

The other method is to buy a bunch of holler points and have at it. If I ever go p-dogging, I'll buy a Hummer.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a great idea. Hummers are known for consistent accuracy and will be easier to hit with at farther ranges.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
For me it's Eley Tenex out of an Anschutz 1700/McMillan stock.

A close second is the same ammo out of a Clark Custom/Ruger 77-22 with Clark's mid-weight barrel.

RWS R-50 or Lapua Midas might be best in some rifles. There is no "most accurate". It depends on what a particular rifle likes. That being said, Tenex is usually as good as it gets.

Now for p-dogs, I would want a high velocity hollow point like a Lapua or Eley. The target ammo above is for paper only.

RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 12/03/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 10/22 Custom that will shoot 10 shots of damn near everything into 1/2" in at 50 yards... the better groups (cheap bulk) will go a 1/4" at 50 yards.

To answer your question, I bought a box of everything I could get my hands on when I finished with the gun. They all shot pretty good. I could get the best groups out of chap WInchester Wildcat White Box.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Off the shelf: Winchester Power Points and American Eagle hollow points in a Ruger 77/22 and an Anschutz. The $15+ a box of the target stuff does better, but I can't afford 10,000 rds of that when our spring ground squirrels emerge. Every 22LR though is it's own entity, so one needs to buck up, get a box of everything, and do his own research.

1Minute
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've only shot Tenex out of three rifles and not much of it because of the price. Have yet to find anything that will match it in my Cooper JSR. Midas will come close but there again I ain't paying that much to feed it a steady diet of it. CCI standard velocity will usually stay in the .3's and sometimes a good bit better. The CZ453 I had or the Rem 504 did not care for it Tenex at all. The only thing that I would call accurate in the 453 were mini-mags, stingers and velocitors, the faster the better with that rifle. The 504, I had a couple thousand rounds of one lot # of Fed "match" ammo that it liked and I lost that in the flood, haven't searched for a replacement for it yet but the rifle is very picky. The CZ 452 that I have will shoot several different ammo's very well but I mainly just feed it CCI SV, except for an occasional flyer it will usually stay sub moa at 50 yards and right at or a hair below moa at 100 if it isn't windy.

Let your rifle decide what it likes then buy a bunch of it.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Try this.

http://www.championshooters.com/ind...virtuemart_category_id=41&Itemid=111

Look at their ammo selection also.

Some guns are more forgiving, but .22 rimfire guns are very unique as far as what any individual gun likes. It gets down to lot numbers on some.

Good glass with the correct parallax adjustment is paramount for top performance. I like fixed power scopes for .22 Long Rifle guns.

This should get you where you want without getting to crazy on cost. But not cheap. There are cheaper alternatives for what you want to do for a hunting rifle.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For PD's and gophers I really like the Federal American Eagle HP, they hit hard and out of my Cooper and CZ 452 group sub 1/2" five shot groups at 50 yds.

Here is an ad for the American Eagle HP's at $215 per case, of course there will be shipping on top of that but that is a great price.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ae5022case

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cheap 10/22 I put together (18" KSA bull, floated hogue, and bx trigger) keeps SK Standard in the .330-.350 range consistently. For cheaper shooting I use CCI standard and they stay well under 1/2". I did bite the bullet last summer and bought about a dozen different high-end ammo loads and tested them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno, but messed around with the idea a little.

Ruger 10/22 Deeeelux, full length bedded with an aftermarket trigger. WW Power Point

[Linked Image]

T/C Contender w/Millett SP-1 sight shooting CB Shorts thru a short match chamber: This was done after a thorough cleaning to check/set zero.

[Linked Image]

T/C Contender w/Douglas LR Match barrel twisted 15". It's the only gun I have that shoots CCI SV with any precision.

[Linked Image]

The 513T does OK with Norma Tac, but is a bit scary with Wolf ME/MT or SK Standard Plus

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A 513S with a Shilen barrel seems fond of Wolf ammo, at least out to 50 yards. This is 10 shots.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The best ammo currently is Lapua Midas +, Lapua Center X, Eley Tenex or Eley Match. These are the ammo that the top rimfire benchrest shooters are currently using in their full custom rifles. These expensive match ammo will only realize their true potential in rimfires with high quality custom barrels and true match chambers. When I was competing in rimfire benchrest I used Eley Match in my heavy and sporter class rifles and my rifles were chambered by my gunsmith with reamers set up specifically for Eley ammo with the EPS bullet. The ammo I bought was selected by lot # and there was great variation between lots. To be acceptable for use in rimfire benchrest the rifle/ammo combo needs to be able to routinely shoot groups in the .1" (or less) range and have no "flyers" that take the groups out to anything more than .25" (the size of the IR50/50 target ten ring).

I also have a very good Cooper 57M sporter that does best with Lapua ammo like Midas and Center X. It shoots my best Eley ammo very poorly. It's also the ammo Cooper used to shoot the test target that the rifle came with. If you do not have a rifle that has a true match chamber I would not spend the money on the real expensive stuff and try either the Wolf Match Extra or SK Rifle Match. It's really good ammo but just has a few little flyers that keeps it out of top contention for big rimfire matches, but a lot of good non-competition rifles shoot it very well. I have shot some really tiny groups with it in my Cooper and bench rifles. The bulk ammo or high volume ammo lines are going to be hit or miss as to what your rifle may like and they are not capable of shooting consistently well unlike the better match ammo. You should try the Wolf and SK ammo. You may be very happy with them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My Springfield 1922 M2 and Winchester pre-A custom sporter both shoot all 50 rds. of CCI blue box Std. Velocity into one ragged hole at 50yds..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I agree, Wolf or SK best all around groups for the buck in most quality guns.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
1minute's advice is the best. Buy what you would consider using based on cost and then try it. All guns seem to have preferences.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too get consistently best results with Eley Tenex, with R-50, Gold Ultra Match, and Lapua Midas a close second (and often surpassing the Tenex). (Winchester 52's, M2 Springfield, Martini, and BRNO sporter.) The thing with Tenex (and the rest) is the aforementioned variation from lot to lot. Experiment until you're satisfied and then go back to the store and buy every round they have of that same lot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My best hollow point groups have come with WW Power Points. My 40X shoots 0.3" 50 yard groups off the bench with Eley Match.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DLALLDER: You are going to have to include ONE more attribute to that "accuracy" question if you are going to be Hunting Prairie Dogs with said ammo!
And that very important attribute is "lethality"!
Many munitions are inherently accurate in many rimfire Rifles (and pistols) but they are very much lacking in "lethality".
I have settled on the current manufacture Winchester 40 grain Power-Points (hollow-points) as they do indeed provide a significant amount of lethality and very good accuracy in MANY of my heavy barrel (accuracy oriented!) Rifles and pistols.
Including the following Rifles of mine:
Remington 40X
Remington 541-T
Kimber 82-G
Kimber M-22 Hunter/Silhouette
Ruger 77/22 V/T
Sako P94-S
I have used the 40 grain Winchester Power-Points with much satisfaction to Hunt Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels, Jack Rabbits, Wild Turkey and have even killed a few large Rock Chucks recently with them.
Sadly over the decades I have witnessed a couple of people who have tried to kill Prairie Dogs with 22 L.R. ammo that may have been accurate but was not worth much in the lethality department.
Be sure to try the Winchester 40 grain Power-Points before your Hunt.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For hunting lethality in a .22LR

Just the other day I shot CCI Velocitor's out of a new Annie and scope.

.350" - .223" = .127" 5shot, 50yrds. Actually about 55 yrds. (50 meters)

Velocitor's are the king in .22LR performance. Beats out Stingers at 50yrds. Equals the .22 SV @ 100yrds.
Full 40gr bullet @ top speeds

Note: I would never shoot Stingers in a match chamber. Never had good accuracy from them anyway.

Note #2: The Browning equivalent to the Velocitor sucks as far as accuracy comparison. Waste of good money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.