R
What brand is the best?

GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't know about best, 110 volt, solar, battery? What is it you need?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a few speedrites, which work well. They are easy to get rebuilt if needed.

I'd get one a size or so larger than you need, so if grass grounds it out there's still enough power.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
For now a 110 one will work...only need a mile or so....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by keystoneben
We have a few speedrites, which work well. They are easy to get rebuilt if needed.

I'd get one a size or so larger than you need, so if grass grounds it out there's still enough power.

Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
For now a 110 one will work...only need a mile or so....

I agree on getting one larger than you need and one that is easy to have rebuilt, especially if you get a lot of lightening. What you're keeping in/out makes a difference as well. Our horses don't need much at all...I think static electricity would turn them around....on the other hand, our goats require something that will HAMMER them to turn them around.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just looked at one of ours. Enforcer Dare. We buy what the local farm store sells. There is a pile of some note of old fencers close under the pole.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
What brand is the best?

Ford vs. Chevy thing for some.

Zareba has been good for us. A lot depends on what type critter(s) you're trying to keep in (or out), power source, weather exposure, terrain, and your budget.

Rule of thumb for the majority of critters is 1 Joule output for every mile of fence. Some critters don't need nearly this much, but overcoming weeds that grow up into the fence, poor ground, and the occasional big, ugly critter makes it a minimum.

For your reading pleasure, here is a good article and review; LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Good info there thanks....
Dad sold all his livestock in the 70 s and when I was a kid I tore fence out and pulled posts what seemed like forever...we had a huge stack of hedge posts , I built a buzz saw and made firewood out of them...he heated his house for some years off that pile...
Dad vowed to never have another head of livestock....now that I'm taking over things are changing...
I did find dads old fencer in the barn today...it has hung there for 45 years....I plugged it in and it seems to be working....it is a pemark
I doubt I will use it I would hate to burn down the barn...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've used electric fencers for a good many years, battery powered, solar powered, and electricity powered. They all have their uses. It really doesn't take a lot of shocking power to turn livestock, as they learn pretty quick, though I have seen some cows that it didn't seem to faze. I currently have two electric fencers in use......a solar powered Zabera on a stretch of fence that one old cow kept pushing through the wire and eating on the other side, and one that I'm running my horses behind. That one runs off electricity and will absolutely knock the living chit out of you.......I can personally attest to it. Not sure of the brand, but will look sometimes and post it here, as it's a good one. I've found that most work as advertised, as long as they are grounded good enough.

Edit.....fencer brand is Parmak.

Last edited by JamesJr; 12/05/17.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
... as long as they are grounded good enough...

And THAT is the key to them all!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Spot on Ed, I/we, use a galvanized rod, an old silo rod, ten feet is good, a copper wire for the ground. It may be hard to over do it. (Even hayseeds know that much)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gallagher used to be the best but they are expensive. I think the cheapest one was about $400. Parmak is also good, especially their solar chargers. Like others have said, a good ground is essential. Have to be able to complete the circuit. Some applications run two wires about 4" apart. One for hot and one for ground. The animal has to touch both wires for it to work.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
After having some problems with a good ground that allowed the kids hogs to get out, I bought a copper-clad ground rod with the copper clamp and ran copper wire from the charger to the rod. Next time the hogs touched it they got sizzled. I have the same ground system on other hot wire fences.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We run 3 6' ground rods in line about 10' apart. We generally have fairly damp soil, really dry soil can make a difference.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
We run 3 6' ground rods in line about 10' apart. We generally have fairly damp soil, really dry soil can make a difference.

Same here. We have a sand layer with a clay cap that runs anywhere from 18" down to over 6' down. Ground rods set like yours handle it really well. Others might have to put more, and deeper ground rods in, or more hot with ground lines between them with ground rods spaced at intervals.

Ed

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And when the snow builds to a certain level, it all goes to hell!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
And when the snow builds to a certain level, it all goes to hell!

Or when ya pee on 'em...

Ed

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm thmart, Ed. I doesn't pee on the wire!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So what do you use for a ground rod? Most guys around here just drive a fence post upside down...I'm thinking a copper rod would be better but we do have a clay base soil that holds moister pretty well but this time of year the top foot or so is pretty dry...
I did buy a pemark dolor unit...the bigger one....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]
<$20
Anything else is a compromise. As I mentioned above, I learned the hard way. I needed two ground rods for two locations, so I cut it in half. It worked fine, but we have wet soil.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.