Campfire Member
Legitimate concern, or non issue?
[Linked Image]

HR IC

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What are you complaining about, at least you got a flash hole. Here's a brand new one I got in a 100 pack of Remington minus the flash hole, LOL.

[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wink_man
What are you complaining about, at least you got a flash hole. Here's a brand new one I got in a 100 pack of Remington minus the flash hole, LOL.

[Linked Image]

Wow....that's all kinds of special.

OdT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Haha!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by wink_man

[Linked Image]

I seen that in the past with Remington. Buddy of mine had 2 misfired with blown primers, he was baffled that the primer blew and the round didn't go off. I pulled the bullet one one round and poured out the.powder, looked inside no flash hole, the same with the other round. glad it wasent life or death situation. That ammo was 308 winchester, he called Remington about it and got a coupon for a free box of ammo. Got to love Remington's quality control.

Getting back to your concern about an off-centered flash hole, no concern unless it's that far off centered that it breaks your decapping pin in your die.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Of all the new brass I've purchased, one piece had a flash hole so off center I doubt the primer could have ignited the powder. I've never found a piece with no flash hole.

For lesser degrees of off centeredness, there wouldn't be any concern safety wise. In some CMP 30/06 ammo I bought, much of the brass has off centered flash holes and yet all goes bang without any problem. That said, I don't see how an off centered flash hole can contributed to good accuracy so I don't reload brass with off centered flash holes.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
I don't see how an off centered flash hole can contributed to good accuracy so I don't reload brass with off centered flash holes.

how could it effect accuracy? primer goes off sends fire through hole into the powder, what would it matter if fire goes into the center of powder or off by a few thousands, still sets powder off.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
someone send me like 10 223 cases with off centered flash holes, I'll put them to the test

OdT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gemby58
someone send me like 10 223 cases with off centered flash holes, I'll put them to the test

We intend to cull out the worst, from 65ish down to an even 50 of the better ones. Happy to send you the misfits if 308 will work for your test

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
308 works have a few 308's, can test in one of my 40x, what brand brass, need to keep the good one the same headstamp to be fair.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
308 works have a few 308's, can test in one of my 40x, what brand brass, need to keep the good one the same headstamp to be fair.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
I don't see how an off centered flash hole can contributed to good accuracy so I don't reload brass with off centered flash holes.

how could it effect accuracy? primer goes off sends fire through hole into the powder, what would it matter if fire goes into the center of powder or off by a few thousands, still sets powder off.

You could be right but I haven't yet tested that variable. I have saved some off centered flash hole cases so may do the test some day.

Also consider, if the flash hole was only off "by a few thousands" I would never have been able to tell they were off just by looking at them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Biggest concern is that off center flash holes do break decapping pins.

I use a flash hole deburring tool and put a good chamfer on the inside flash hole to help guide the de capping pin in the hole.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by keith

I use a flash hole deburring tool and put a good chamfer on the inside flash hole to help guide the de capping pin in the hole.

One reason I continue to deburr flashholes in new brass.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
came across a pile of once fired remington 22-250 for the test since i have a remington 40xb with a 24x leupold which i can test with. took 20 off centeted flash hole cases since I have Remington cases already. Will load them up and fired form them to my gun before doing any test. this gun shoots pretty dam good with remington cases. Will report back if off centered flash hole affects accuracy.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never seen that, but haven looked.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by keith

This and it always happens on a Sunday when I don't have a spare. Now I keep three extras in the die box just in case I don't catch one on the first inspection.

If off center holes don't work then Berdan primed loads should shot for sh*t.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.