Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am thinking about having a custom rifle built and wanted to hear some thoughts on pricing from others who have experience. I know some factors like gunsmith cost can vary but just looking for a general idea. I have the 700 action and shilen trigger already.

Bartlein straight fluted barrel
Mcmillan dark Mcwoody stock
Dbm with 5rnd mag
Spiral fluted bolt and oversized bolt knob
Cerakote

I’m looking for a rifle that will finish in the 7.5lb range.

Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don’t have the action “blueprinted” waste of $$$...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scrap the dbm cerakote bolt fluting and knob too.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry I guess it’s like Sitka gear, kuiu gear etc, it looks cool, folks. Might think your cool, but it’s definitely not “needed”.... I found that out at a Alberta guided deer camp last year. I thought we’re hunting Kevlar encased deer, until I killed the biggest buck, again.... haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Oh I completely agree. It is not needed at all for what I am doing. However, I feel as though if I spend the money on a custom gun I might as well have one that looks cool. My main priority is accuracy but there’s no rule that says it can’t look good. Lol. I’m on the fence about the dbm because it could get in the way at times. Thanks for the input.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would say you're in the ball park range of 1800-2200.00. We will see what others come up with.

You do not mention what barrel contour or length you are looking at. I thInk the weight goal you have set is doable with a #4 contour fluted and depending on the length could be considerably less. I would think about an ADL version with Edge fill. Not sure if they do a swirly pattern in Edge.

You did not mention bedding, but you might as well add that in there to. Some small things that add up are action screws, springs, follower, box, trigger guard, etc. Not sure if you have those items.

To give you an Idea, I have a Remington 700 SA, 26" Krieger #4 fluted, fluted bolt, in an ADL Classic with Edge fill, VX3 4.5-14, that is within your target weight.

Now...if I was to do it over...mountain rifle setup: #1 contour 20-22", fluted/skeleton bolt,Compact ADL with Edge fill. Probably would drop at least a pound or more.

You did not mention what type of hunting, but NC is similar I would think to Georgia woods. I will say that a 26" barrel is aggravating in the woods or stands.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the input. I was planning around the $2000 Range give or take.

Yes, a 26” barrel can be aggravating. I have a Tikka superlite in a edge and I have a couple senderos. If I’m walking or carrying a climber I use the Tikka but most of the time I can cut the distance with my atv so weight isn’t a huge factor. I just don’t want another 12lb gun. 7-8lbs with out the scope is what I’m shooting for. I’m pretty sure I have a adl trigger guard and box laying around somewhere. I believe you are correct. I don’t think they offer the mcwoody in an edge fill.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
I am thinking about having a custom rifle built and wanted to hear some thoughts on pricing...

Approximately twice what you'll be able to resell it for.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You can price the parts as easily as the next guy. Chambering is about $300, bedding about $200, Coating about $225, bolt knob $100 including knob. So you are looking $800-900 labor. Add the cost of components and you are there.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can make 7-8 lbs with a scope easily if you choose parts carefully.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A fluted #3 Bartlien will max you out at the 7.5# limit , I personally would use a #2 chopped @ 24"and would only use a DBM for cartridges that need it to feed correctly, and if your looking for accuracy first I would absolutely have the action blueprinted by a smith that actually knows how to do it correctly, as those occasional flyers can be the result of an action that has issues...no reason to roll the dice if accuracy is your first concern!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Judman

I have often wondered what the actual blueprinting of a bolt action consists of since there are no rotational forces inherent within it's operation, no dynamic forces, no true load. All mated surfaces are static. I know a newly manufactured action could be the result of a blueprint. But how, exactly, can you "blueprint" an old action with intentionally loose tolerances? That word is batted around the world of gunsmiths & engine shops like a whiffle ball. Answer: SCAM!!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A lot of people probably are scammed by any number of smith's and "blueprinting" may not be the best choice of words, Truing would be the better term, guy's like Jim Borden and Greg Tannel are two smith's who know how to do it correctly!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Scrap the dbm cerakote bolt fluting and knob too.

why stop there?...drop the $$$ Bartlien as well... and just choose a smith that knows his stuff with Shilens or Douglas.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
I am thinking about having a custom rifle built and wanted to hear some thoughts on pricing...

Which is why the most affordable way to build a custom rifle is:

Have it built exactly the way you want it
Choose a smith that is well regarded and capable of building it exactly the way you want it.
Pay every dollar it cost and wait every month it takes to have it built exactly the way you want it.

Otherwise saving a couple hundred bucks or allowing the smith to convince you to build something different than your vision will result in you selling the gun for 1/2 what you paid for it, and then building what you wanted in the first place.

If you're not quite sure exactly what you want, buy a used custom that is pretty close for 1/2 what it cost the guy who didn't get exactly what he wanted built.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I have often wondered what the actual blueprinting of a bolt action consists of since there are no rotational forces inherent within it's operation, no dynamic forces, no true load. All mated surfaces are static. I know a newly manufactured action could be the result of a blueprint. But how, exactly, can you "blueprint" an old action with intentionally loose tolerances? That word is batted around the world of gunsmiths & engine shops like a whiffle ball. Answer: SCAM!!

Depending and what is out of wack, the bolt face might have a bushing fit to tighten up the opening for the firing pin.

The bolt lug bearing surfaces might be cut on the the lathe, the bolt lugs on the bolt cut and the timing on the back of the built adjusted to match.

The bolt body might be built up to tighten up slop in the action

The threads in the action might be re-cut to be concentric and parallel to the centerline of the bolt.

The face of the action might be re-cut to be perpendicular to the centerline of the bolt.

You might rethink there being no dynamic loading on an action if you watch a high speed photo of a gun being fired. The more slop you add the rifle, the greater the spread in the location of the parts and pieces during each shot. When you think about how little you move a firearm to change point of aim for long range shots, it makes perfect sense that changes in the position of the various parts of an action can lead to changing the point of impact shot to shot.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Exactly...It's all about alignment and harmonics!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by pal

Which is why the most affordable way to build a custom rifle is:

Have it built exactly the way you want it
Choose a smith that is well regarded and capable of building it exactly the way you want it.
Pay every dollar it cost and wait every month it takes to have it built exactly the way you want it.

Otherwise saving a couple hundred bucks or allowing the smith to convince you to build something different than your vision will result in you selling the gun for 1/2 what you paid for it, and then building what you wanted in the first place.

If you're not quite sure exactly what you want, buy a used custom that is pretty close for 1/2 what it cost the guy who didn't get exactly what he wanted built.

Awesome advice. Thanks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Far be it for me to judge your custom/semi-custom rifle desires!

I will say I have a 30-06, Rock Creek #3 barrel finished at 23 inches, McMillan Remington Classic Edge stock, Rem 700, Timney trigger. It does have a DBM but I frankly hate DBM (my lovely wife bought me the rifle when we were newlyweds, I’m committed!). Weight empty is 6.75 lbs. Add about a lb for rings/Leupold 6x42, total weight about 7.75 lbs.

A Bartlein #2 is close to a Rock #3. You can only get a Bartlein that skinny in CM steel. You could use a Bartlein 2B, a little more weight. You could flute a 2B or 3, maybe lose 2-3 oz from the heavier barrel.

The McWoody weighs about 1/2 lb more than the Edge stock.

If you are thinking of a short action that will be 2-3 oz less weight than a long action.

Is DBM heavy? I don’t know if anyone makes aluminum DBM. Maybe, I don’t know much about various DBM systems.

If making your rifle weight is a priority I think you are about a lb or 1.5 lbs over weight.

As mentioned by another poster I estimate $2K to $2500.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just read again “Bartlein straight fluted”. I think you may be 3 lbs over weight. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.