Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jorge,

The tendency of A-Frames to not exit buffalo is one reason some PH's like them. As I mentioned in an earlier post, several PH's I know prefer the 270 TSX .375 to the 300 TSX, because it has less tendency to exit buffalo, thus preventing the exiting bullet from hitting another buffalo in a herd. This happens occasionally, a decidedly stressful complication! A-Frames tend to expand widely, the reason they don't usually exit, but it's also why they put a big hole in whatever they hit, an excellent combination.

What loads have you tried with the 300-grain Partition? It's shot well for me in three .375's, two H&H's and a Ruger, especially in the Mark X Mauser I've had for over 25 years now. Though it doesn't shoot any better than the 270-grain TSX, which will probably be the bullet used if I ever go on another buffalo hunt.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi John. My comments on the Partition were of a general nature. I've had issues with accuracy in my 257, 338 and 7mms. I've never tried it on the 375. I used the Aframe because they were "all the rage" back in the early 2000s and a good friend with lots of Africa under his belt recommended them and they shot lights out in my 375 and 416, not so well in my 338 or 300. As to the TSX, I remember speaking with Connie Brooks years ago and she mentioned they obtained better results with the 270gr in the 375 and the 350gr in the 416.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah! Yeah, that makes sense, due to rifling twist rates.

300 A-Frames (and Break-Away Solids) also shoot very well in my Mark X .375 H&H. In fact it shoots well with almost any bullet, and also tends to shoot various bullet weights to the same point of impact, handy for field-testing. Which is why it's the only .375 I've kept over the years

My Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H, which I used even more in Africa, would shoot most 300-grain bullets to the same POI, but other bullet weights landed in various places. I did manage to work up a practice/deer load with 220 Hornady flat-noses at around .38-55 velocity that landed in the same place as full-power 300-grain loads. Used them considerably when practicing for an an all iron-sight safari 15 years ago, and the Hornadys exploded prairie dogs just as well as a .22-250.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well, this thread settles it, there must be 500 years of combined worldwide hunting experience in this thread, I'll go and shoot a Cape Buffalo with a 375 H&H with 300 grain Partitions and find out for myself, will try like hell for a shot straight through both shoulders.

Then report my findings.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks DF, I'll have to show you my Rube Goldberg M-70 classic 375 someday. cool

Think I remember when you put that one together.

DF

Yessir, ole Rube's still wearing your stainless bottom metal proudly, I was in shock on how tight and well fit it went into an existing stock. cool

Photos of ole Rube. Gunner finally got wifey to send these photos, all this computer stuff is deligated accordingly.... laugh

Gunner, that's nice checkering. I know you didn't do it, what's the story... wink

That SS bottom metal did fit really well. I like the barrel band and the whole set up.

You done good... smile

Ole Rube would look good in any setting, would look great leaning up against dead trophy critters in Africa...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL DF, hope Guy doesn't mind me dirtying up his thread. smile

'Ol Rube is quite a story, the action came from a classic Laredo in 7mm STW I bought new back in the early 90's, torched the throat on that, pulled the barrel, sold the stock, had 'Smith take a classic stainless 375 H&H barrel, drill it to 375 A.I. then screw it on.

Called American Gunstocks out in Cali about a stock they had in stock, it had a 14" LOP that no one wanted, SOLD I said, took it along with a set of engraved cross-bolts, barrel band and rear sight from NECG back to 'Smith, had him bed barreled action to stock and install cross-bolts, barrel band and rear sight, I filed rear sight dead on at 25 yards with the 300 gr BBW #13 solids at a very easy 2700 fps, returned the sight blade for bluing and final shaping.

Then along comes a dude named DF with some classic stainless bottom metal for sale. grin

That rifle wears a 2.5-8 Leupold in Talley QD rings, it's one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned, it's also the rifle I used to power 270 gr TSX's to 3100 fps with RL-17, have backed all other 270 gr TSX loads back to an even 3K, made a thread here about that, haven't found a bullet yet it wont shoot accurately, Ol Rube Goldberg has a muddy bloodline, but I'll never sell it.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh, BTW, the fluer'd leis? checkering was already cut. blush

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Really nice. I love the stock and checkering.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks DF, it's been said before, but, the pics don't do the wood justice, it's much darker and richer in person, I got lucky on that one. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

So far in this thread the "negative" opinions about Partitions have been second-hand quotes about which other bullets PH's recommend, but there haven't been any detailed examples of how Partitions failed. I'd be very interested in reading about specific examples, because am still eager to learn.

Kinda like any other Nosler Partition thread....

Yes there are plenty of great bullets out there nowadays..( I like Swift A- frames in the context of this thread...) but the NPT is one of the few sure bets in life...it will work!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that rifle Gunner!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Poobs, 'ol rubes a shooter. smile

That 14" LOP would fit you like a glove.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner, does that 14" LOP qualify you as a long armed, knuckle dragger...?

laugh

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

laugh

DF

That would depend on how long his legs are, wouldn't it? smile

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Dirty up the thread? With pictures of a beautiful Win Model 70 in 375? My goodness... go for it! smile

I kinda like purty 375 Model 70's myself:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No checkering on mine. I found it on the used gun rack at a local shop... They really didn't know what they had, so I scooped it up. Built by Michael Scherz. He told me all about the rifle when I phoned him and confirmed that he'd built it. Someone here on the campfire steered me in his direction, recognizing the scope bases. Douglas barrel, quarter rib, etc. Topped it with a 1.5-5x Leupold in QR Talley rings. Shoots great! The iron sights are perfect at 50 yards with 300 grain ammo. Am waiting for a cape buff to charge through central Washington so I can use it on something other than targets...

Somehow, I ended up with two 375's, the other is a Ruger Number One that my sons have named "Dad's bear rifle" because I keep taking it for our Washington black bear.

Guy

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Michael told me that the original owner took it to Africa and killed 22 head of big game with it on its first trip.

So... I'd kinda like to take it over there and see about adding another half dozen or so critters to the tally.

Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, super wood.

I like it.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

laugh

DF

They pretty long... grin

Knuckle dragging is a whole different matter... blush

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

laugh

DF

UH, yes, and no. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Guy, that's a nice stick, you need to get that rifle to Africa, gotta build a history with it Buddy. smile

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 31 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.