Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I read here and there on our forum that the 300 gr Nosler Partition is not a particularly good choice for Cape Buff, when using a .375 H&H rifle.

I don't have much experience with the 375, having shot only a few black bears with mine, all with the 260 gr Nosler Accubond.

What is the issue with the 300 gr Partition? Curious, because they shoot quite well for me, and I had intended to use them for dangerous game, perhaps cape buffalo if I can make that trip happen.

Thanks, Guy

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Guy,

in the old days they were very good, now use a stronger bullet like the aframe.
nosler partition in 300 grains will work very well on lion if needed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I know there are many that have successfully used it as you require. That said, my owner/guide on my SE Alaskan brown bear hunt or four PH's on my recent buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe had little good to say about it, with the latter having the same view regardless of round used. All with many years of experience. They all were fine with the TSX, A-Frame and Bear Claw and particularly pleased I was using the TSX. Just a few seasoned folks view.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I can't speak about Cape buffalo but as far as brown bears go 300 grain partitions don't do them any good at all. I've killed a bunch of them with this bullet from 2-50 yards and never had a bad experience. Stem to stern penetration is common. The recovered ones consistently have 75-80% weight retention.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Don't know about the 300 gr 375's, but, I have a lot of ammo loaded wit the 400 gr .416 and 500 gr .458 Partitions, from what little I know, I wouldn't be afraid to hammer anything with either except an Elephant skull, have BBW #13 solids in all calibers .366 and up for that.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Don't know about the 300 gr 375's, but, I have a lot of ammo loaded wit the 400 gr .416 and 500 gr .458 Partitions, from what little I know, I wouldn't be afraid to hammer anything with either except an Elephant skull, have BBW #13 solids in all calibers .366 and up for that.

Other than Big Beautiful Women, what's "BBW" stand for? smile

Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cutting Edge Bullets makes a solid with their BBW #13 meplat.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/375-300gr-300gr-safari-solid

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAAHAHAHAHAlaugh

DF's got it ;]

Trump Won!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, that is a mighty fine looking solid bullet, I'll admit.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know any reason the 300 gr partition would not work just as well on a 1600 # Cape buffalo as they do on 1600# brown bears.
they work as well as any bullet on big bruins !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 458Win
I don't know any reason the 300 gr partition would not work just as well on a 1600 # Cape buffalo as they do on 1600# brown bears.

Now there's a ringing endorsement. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Now there's a ringing endorsement. smile

+1

But, I wonder what those who dis the 300 NPT .375 are seeing.

Where there's smoke, maybe there is a fire. I would like details.

Maybe a cape buff is tougher than a big bear. I don't know, haven't shot either one.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Same here DF, I've never hit a cape buff with a 375 cal NPT, with that said, every other animal across the caliber spectrum I've hit with a NPT had an immediate bad day, albeit waning fast. wink

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't say from actual experience because the only cartridges I have used in Africa were 404 Jeffery, and 7.62 NATO. I saw the 458 Winchester used a number of times with excellent results.

But I have a LOT of experience with the 375 in other places, and the 300 Gr Nosler Part. has been one of the best, if not THE best bullet I have ever used on everything I have shot with it. Elk, Moose, the bears I have killed, and various domestic cattle and horses are not as big or tough as cape buffalo, so if someone with actual experience were to tell me that the 300 Gr Noslet Partition was lacking on Cape Buffalo I would have to believe him, (especially if they had experience on several instead of just 1-2) but for anything I have hunted, they have been as close to perfect as a bullet could be. I love them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Phil,

Brad Dennison had a different view. That's all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had PHs say they only wanted solids used on buffalo, and I've had other PHs say they wanted good softs used.

They're 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong, but which is which???

I've had PHs say they they didn't want Remingtons and Sako Safari grade rifles used for buffalo, and I had a PH that carried a 700 in 416 Rem Mag as his backup rifle.

They were 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong, but which is which???

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The ones I know who've shot'em talk about .40 cal and up.

My good bud shot a nice 41'' this year in Zim. He was shooting 400 TSX's out of his .416 Rigby, Ruger RSM, recovering a near picture perfect expanded bullet. One shot, buff ran. They followed him (probably too soon), he got up but no one got a shot. They tracked him into thick brush, both .416's at the ready, only to find him dead. They were glad he was dead in those close quarters. Could have gotten interesting... shocked

PH carried a .416 Rem, PF M-70, thought the RSM was a bit heavy, generally liked .416's for buff.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Buff and bullet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Phil,

Brad Dennison had a different view. That's all.

I would be interested in hearing Brad's experiences and reasoning as I have killed a lot of bears with Nosler partitions and seen a hell of a lot more killed with them and never seen any problem with them. They work as well and consistently as any bullet I have ever used, and a few years ago Nosler moved the partition forward on the .375 bullets for even more weight retention and penetration.

On the other hand I have also seen a lot of hunters who were using partitions who badly misplaced their shots but claimed they had made perfect hits and blamed the bullet.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've spoken with a couple SE guides who had bad results with clients who used lighter NPs in various magnum .30s with less than hoped for results. They consequently ruled that NPs aren't up to the task not realizing Nosler builds the larger partitions differently than the smaller ones. If I were forced to use a 300 RUM on a big bear I'd choose a TSX over a NP, but that will never happen because I'll keep on killing them with the .375 and 9.3 with those beautifully consistent partitions.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The ones I know who've shot'em talk about .40 cal and up.

My good bud shot a nice 41'' this year in Zim. He was shooting 400 TSX's out of his .416 Rigby, Ruger RSM, recovering a near picture perfect expanded bullet. One shot, buff ran. They followed him (probably too soon), he got up but no one got a shot. They tracked him into thick brush, both .416's at the ready, only to find him dead. They were glad he was dead in those close quarters. Could have gotten interesting... shocked

PH carried a .416 Rem, PF M-70, thought the RSM was a bit heavy, generally liked .416's for buff.

DF

Nice, I'd have to see to believe why MY 300 gr Partition 375 H&H handloads AND SHOT placement would not work on a cape buffalo, I full well believe I'd have a dead bull in a very short matter of time. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I've spoken with a couple SE guides who had bad results with clients who used lighter NPs in various magnum .30s with less than hoped for results. They consequently ruled that NPs aren't up to the task not realizing Nosler builds the larger partitions differently than the smaller ones. If I were forced to use a 300 RUM on a big bear I'd choose a TSX over a NP, but that will never happen because I'll keep on killing them with the .375 and 9.3 with those beautifully consistent partitions.

I've got an old pre-64 300 H&H with a Lyman receiver peep chunking 220 gr Partitions at a leisurely 2750 that I'd dearly love to shoot a big brown with, betting the cost of my hunt they'd work. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pabucktail

I've got an old pre-64 300 H&H with a Lyman receiver peep chunking 220 gr Partitions at a leisurely 2750 that I'd dearly love to shoot a big brown with, betting the cost of my hunt they'd work. smile

That's a nice one, but you got a lota nice "toys"...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks DF, I'll have to show you my Rube Goldberg M-70 classic 375 someday. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks DF, I'll have to show you my Rube Goldberg M-70 classic 375 someday. cool

Think I remember when you put that one together.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 300-grain .375 Partition has been one of the models designed to retain more weight for a while now. In the fall of 2003 Phil and Rocky stopped by our place in Montana for a quick visit. It was the first time we'd met, but knew each other through some correspondence.

Phil and I naturally started gacking about guns, and among other things I well remember showing him the two 300 .375's I'd managed to recover. (I've shot a bunch of game with them since, but those are still the only two recovered.) One retained 87% of its weight and the other 88%, and after handing them to him he said, "That's just perfect!"

A few years later I had a talk with John Nosler about the Partitions designed to retain more weight. He said they move the partition forward enough to guarantee a minimum retention of 75% of the original weight, even if the front core and jacket totally disintegrate. I have only found one that light, a 286 9.3 that whacked a big blue wildebeest in the shoulder joint as it stood quartering toward me at around 200 yards. The bull went about 25 yards and keeled over, and the bullet ended up under the hide at the rear of the ribcage.

That's also one of the only pair of 286 9.3's I've recovered, the other from a big bull moose in northern British Columbia, which retained a little over 90% of its weight. Have also recovered a pair of 400-grain .416's from Cape and water buffalo, which retained 83% and 95% of their weight.

As with most lead-core bullets, the lighter retained weights have occurred with bullets that hit heavy bone. The lighter .416 Partition, for instance, broke the right shoulder of a Cape buffalo--after penetrating from the rear of the left ribs, a distance of at least five feet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have also discovered that the 220 gr .308 caliber partitions in my 30-06 penetrate as deeply and reliably as the 300 gr .375 and have had great performance with them on 1200-1400 pound bears.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I have also discovered that the 220 gr .308 caliber partitions in my 30-06 penetrate as deeply and reliably as the 300 gr .375 and have had great performance with them on 1200-1400 pound bears.

I darned near chose the 220 gr Partitions for use with the 30-06 on my arctic grizzly hunt last year, but the 200's shot so well... And I was anticipating a shot out to say 300 yards or so where that wonderful accuracy might have been important. So, here I have a couple of boxes of 220 gr .30 cal Partitions on my loading bench. Ah well, it doesn't cost anything to keep them there.

Guy

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The 300-grain .375 Partition has been one of the models designed to retain more weight for a while now. In the fall of 2003 Phil and Rocky stopped by our place in Montana for a quick visit. It was the first time we'd met, but knew each other through some correspondence.

Phil and I naturally started gacking about guns, and among other things I well remember showing him the two 300 .375's I'd managed to recover. (I've shot a bunch of game with them since, but those are still the only two recovered.) One retained 87% of its weight and the other 88%, and after handing them to him he said, "That's just perfect!"

A few years later I had a talk with John Nosler about the Partitions designed to retain more weight. He said they move the partition forward enough to guarantee a minimum retention of 75% of the original weight, even if the front core and jacket totally disinegrate. I have only found one that light, a 286 9.3 that whacked a big blue wildebeest in the shoulder joint as it stood quartering toward me at around 200 yards. The bull went about 25 yards and keeled over, and the bullet ended up under the hide at the rear of the ribcage.

That's also one of the only pair of 286 9.3's I've recovered, the other from a big bull moose in northern British Columbia, which retained a little over 90% of its weight. Have also recovered a pair of 400-grain .416's from Cape and water buffalo, which retained 83% and 95% of their weight.

As with most lead-core bullets, the lighter retained weights have occurred with bullets that hit heavy bone. The lighter .416 Partition, for instance, broke the right shoulder of a Cape buffalo--after penetrating from the rear of the left ribs, a distance of at least five feet.

Impressive John. Thank you!

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One other comment: I've found many of the relatively few people who criticize Nosler Partitions do so not on how they kill or penetrate, but the amount of weight they lose. This fixation on retained weight probably began in 1977, when Bob Hagel's book GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER appeared. Hagel was the first hunting writer I recall who mentioned retained weight, and for some reason it became the standard measure for "premium" big game bullets.

Back then, however, the only reasonably available premium bullets in the U.S. were the Bitterroot Bonded Core, Nosler Partition and Speer Grand Slam. The early Grand Slams weren't very good (as I discovered myself in the fall of 1977 when one failed to penetrate on an angling shot into a cow elk), though they later improved considerably. The BBC retained the most weight of the three, but Hagel pointed out that it didn't penetrate as deeply as the Partition, because of the BBC's very wide mushroom.

However, many if not most hunters assume more weight retention means deeper penetration, and since "average" Partitions retain around 2/3 of their weight--rather than the 90-100% of some other bullets--many assume Partitions don't penetrate very deeply. This isn't necessarily true, as Bob Hagel noted about BBC's.

An example from my own collection of recovered bullets would be the Partition that retained the least amount of weight, a 150-grain .270 that my wife used to take a middling-size Shiras moose. The bull stood quartering away at about 125 yards, and Eileen put the bullet about midway between the left shoulder and the rear of the ribs. The bull took a step and a half a piled up dead, and we found the bullet under the hide in front of the right shoulder, retaining 54% of its weight. Now this moose wasn't anywhere near as big as an Alaskan moose, but was as large as any bull elk I've seen on the ground, and penetration was at least three feet. So no, retained weight isn't directly correlated to how well a bullet penetrates or kills.

But it's also a mistake to assume that because smaller Partitions average around 2/3 weight retention that ALL Partitions will retain the same amount of weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Guy....you have a PM

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

Yessir, ole Rubes still wearing your stainless bottom metal proudly, I was in shock on how tight and well fit it went into an existing stock. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't shot the 300gr NP at a Cape Buffalo, but (out of a .375 Wby) it instantly killed the attached immediately and went through about 3 feet of bear and exited. The bear jumped when hit, spun around and tried to bite what it thought was biting him, and died 25 feet from where the initial claw marks and blood spatter were. I know that Cape Buffalo can be harder to kill, but I was pretty amazed by the performance.

Attached Images
01.jpg (96.67 KB, 102 downloads)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cant speak to the terminal performance but I could never get the 300 partition to shoot in 2 different 375's. The 260 partition was another story. I plan on using a 270 TSX where a 300 part would be required. The old hornady 300 RN always worked on AK bears for me but heard that bullet has been changed.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice bear and shot placement MH. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice bear and shot placement MH. cool

Thanks gunner. I actually was aiming about 8 inches further to the right. But I didn't "lead" him, and he was walking fast enough that, even at only 100 yards, he would move that much in the 0.11 seconds it took for the bullet to go 100yds. Lesson learned.

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I haven't shot the 300gr NP at a Cape Buffalo, but (out of a .375 Wby) it instantly killed the attached immediately and went through about 3 feet of bear and exited. The bear jumped when hit, spun around and tried to bite what it thought was biting him, and died 25 feet from where the initial claw marks and blood spatter were. I know that Cape Buffalo can be harder to kill, but I was pretty amazed by the performance.

Nice bear! Congrats.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guy,

Those who have hunted Cape buffalo--- swear by Swift A-frames. That's what I'll use in my 375 Ruger. I'm actually thinking of a Aussie Buffalo before a Cape. It might be an easier sell to my better half--Australia over Zimbabwe.

I used a 270 grain Hornady interlock this past June for my AK grizzly.

Last edited by colorado bob; 12/15/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MarineHawk-----that's a real good bear---Conglads--Bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Guy,

Those who have hunted Cape buffalo--- swear by Swift A-frames. That's what I'll use in my 375 Ruger. I'm actually thinking of a Aussie Buffalo before a Cape. It might be an easier sell to my better half--Australia over Zimbabwe.

I used a 270 grain Hornady interlock this past June for my AK grizzly.

Bob-not to hijack, but how did the 270 interlock do? My current rifle likes them, but Ive heard they are more frangible than expected. Did you get an exit?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom---I tested them in both both wet phone books & dry phone books. Wet books gave a perfect mushroom @ 180 grains size of a quarter. Dry phone books gave a 170 grains and the bullet looked like everything above the interlock was gone. Size was .375 On the bear she was facing me & at a quartering angle @ 100 yards. Bullet when in just inside the left shoulder & exited just behind the right shoulder. Exit hole was about the size of a half dollar. FYI--I booked another grizzly hunt in 2020 with Jake Jefferson. I'm planning on using the same load. Bob

Photo of the bear is in the Alaska section.

Last edited by colorado bob; 12/15/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
colorado bob,

I have seen a number of big-game animals (meaning larger than deer) killed with both Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames, including Cape buffalo. I dunno what "swear by Swift A-Frames" means, but in my experience Nosler Partitions of the same caliber/weight penetrate just as deeply, and sometimes deeper.

This is not denigrating the A-Frame. It's a fine bullet, but what many hunters don't realize only front core is bonded, and the jacket over the rear core is thinner than the Partition's--which also features a rear core much harder than the A-Frame's.

This is why A-Frames tend to expand wider than Partitions, particularly in the rear end, which often bulges due to the softer rear core shifting foreward. This is also why A-Frames typically don't penetrate any deeper than bigger Partitions of the same weight and caliber, and often not as deeply.

As I noted above, bigger Partitions with the jacket wall moved forward usually generally retain 85-95% of their original weight, which is exactly why they penetrate deeply. In fact, the 286 9.3mm Partitions will normally penetrate more than 250-grain Barnes TSX's, but not quite as deeply as 286 TSX's.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Tom---I tested them in both both wet phone books & dry phone books. Wet books gave a perfect mushroom @ 180 grains size of a quarter. Dry phone books gave a 170 grains and the bullet looked like everything above the interlock was gone. Size was .375 On the bear she was facing me & at a quartering angle @ 100 yards. Bullet when in just inside the left shoulder & exited just behind the right shoulder. Exit hole was about the size of a half dollar. FYI--I booked another grizzly hunt in 2020 with Jake Jefferson. I'm planning on using the same load. Bob

Photo of the bear is in the Alaska section.

Thanks Bob, read your nice write-up in the Alaska section. I remember Jake from when he first started guiding and posting on the Alaska outdoors forums. I use to hang out there a bit when I was still living there. My big bear huntings days are mostly behind me now being a non-res, but keep my 375 hanging around for a trip to Africa someday.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John----I hang out over at Accuratereloading. The guys there that have hunted more cape buffalo than I ever will. The ones that I value their opinion are in 2 groups-----1 for the A frame and the other is TSX. No one over there likes the Hornady DGX.

Didn't mean to infer anything bad about the partition. Just seems like most like to shoot them a N/A animals---especially elk. Bob

Last edited by colorado bob; 12/16/17.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

FWIW....I just spoke with one of my P/H friends in Zimbabwe regarding the .375 H&H and the Nosler Partition for buffalo. Quote: "The success of he NP is not to be diminished for plains game, up to, and including eland. The problem seems to be what makes the NP so good is its Achilles heel for buffalo. On a broad side shot on buffalo, the velocity of the .375 H&H, plus the thin forward jacket of the NP sets up too quickly on the broad, over-lapping ribs of the buffalo, then fails to penetrate deeply into the vitals." "Bonded bullets, such as Swift A-Frame, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw punch through the ribs, and continue to penetrate, and cause internal damage."

Best to inquire from your P/H which bullet is recommended for buffalo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's very interesting. I wonder how "setting up too quickly" causes Partitions to fail to penetrate.

I have personally seen 7 Partitions shot into buffalo, most (but not all) mine. They either ended up under the skin on the far side, including one that entered the rear of the ribcage on the left side and was found in the right shoulder. But the last one exited on a broadside shot, blowing chunks of lung over the sand. It left a big blood trail, which ended in a buffalo 60 yards away.

But the PH I've hunted with more than any, Kevin Thomas, has had far more experience with Partitions on Cape buffalo. He retired a few years ago, but grew up in what was then called Rhodesia, and started working as a game ranger for their game department when he graduated from high school, and later worked for a huge ranch as a game-control officer, culling over 500 buffalo. For the culling he primarily used a .30-06 and 180-grain Partitions, and while many of the buffalo were obviously cows and younger animals, many were mature bulls. He never had any problems with the 180's penetrating the ribs and on into the chest, even on frontal shots.

He eventually became a PH, killing another 100 or so buffalo either when finishing them off for clients, or during his own hunting. To make sure I remembered our many fireside conversations about African rifles, cartridges and bullets I just e-mailed him, asking specifically about Nosler Partitions. He sad this to say: "Regards Nosler Partition on buffalo, I've never had any problems with them, or heard any of my colleagues complain of problems."

Kevin started writing about his adventures, not just in African hunting but as a member of the Selous Scouts, a few years before he retired, and his first book SHADOWS IN AN AFRICAN TWILIGHT, is a very interesting chronicle of many of those adventures. But in "retirement" he's now writing a lot more, and also informed me in his e-mail that his 4th book, mostly about buffalo, will soon be published.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Off topic, my next safari will be a 'one gun' Mozambique Cape Buffalo hunt with an old FN Browning safari grade 458 WM firing 500 gr Partitions at 2150 fps, I have no fear.

Also gonna hunt and try to bust a Leopard with the 458, some may question that, but, I'm banking with a squishy 350 gr Woodleigh 450 BPE bullet at 2500 fps the crap will be handily slapped outta that cat.

I can find no issue with any Partiton bullet I've ever used, and certainly don't expect to find any shooting Cape Buff with a 300 gr 375 NPT, except of course a dead buffalo.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’d shoot 270 TSX, in 375 for plains game and Cape buffalo and never look back.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 TSX has become my go-to bullet with the 375 as well. As the late Don Heath once so elegantly put it " you don't need a bigger bullet, you just need a better bullet"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know more than one African PH who recommends the 270 TSX as an all-around .375 bullet to their clients, because it shoots flatter than 300's--and also tends to stop under the hide on the far side of buffalo, a good thing when hunting herds, so a second buffalo doesn't get accidentally shot too. The 300 TSX's tend to exit more often.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the extent some of you are looking for .375 options that maximize the effective range, has anyone considered loading the new Barnes 270gr LRX in your .375s?

It's all copper, like the TSX, but is tipped, like the TTSX. It increases the 270gr TSX's B.C. from 0.326 to 0.449. According to my calculation, that means that a 270gr TSX leaving the muzzle at 2,700 fps would slow down to 2,170 fps at 200 yds, but a 270gr TSX launched at the same 2,700 fps MV would not fall to 2,170 fps until beyond 275 yds.

I know some traditionalists don't like the thought of a plastic tip, but I have had good results with the TTSX, and they are supposed to make the copper bullet open up more reliably at slower speeds than will the TSX.

Is there any downside to the LRX with its lower air resistance, given that it's an all-copper expanding Barnes bullet, like the TSX?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do not want a tip in my dangerous game rifle. I recently used a 416 Rem with 350 gr TSX's in Zimbabwe as my buffalo and plains game rifle and had zero issues though only shot out to a bit over 200 yards. A 300+ yard shot is a no brainer. As I noted earlier the PH's I have used and spoken with highly recommend the TSX, TBBC and the A-Frame. I see no reason to doubt them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's always interesting to hear about PH's recommending the TBBC and A-Frame, because they're the only two bullets I've actually seen "fail" to penetrate properly on buffalo. This does NOT mean they're not great bullets, but that any bullet can fail occasionally.

The first was a 300-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw from a .375 H&H Federal factory load. I was sitting with my hunting partner and two PH's near a herd of 30-some buffalo, including a mature herd bull that eventually stood broadside in the open, about 100 yards away. At the shot we all saw a dust cloud on the shoulder, perfect shot placement, and the bull bucked into the nearby thornbush. We waited an hour but didn't hear a death bellow, so started to follow-up, spread out about 50 feet from each other. Pretty soon I jumped a bull that ran away, but couldn't see any blood so didn't shoot. Upon investigating the tracks, however, we found a little blood, and since the brush was getting considerably thicker, the two PH's told us to stay behind while they and a tracker went after the bull. An hour later, the buffalo finally died from 10 solids, all from the rear, shot by a .416 Rigby and .458 Lott. Back at the skinning shed the original Bear Claw was recovered, perfectly expanded--but from the ribs on the SAME SIDE as the shoulder it entered. Our best guess was the shoulder bone caused to bullet to spin somehow, the reason it only entered one lung--and the reason the buffalo remained quite lively.

The A-Frames were also 300-grainers, started at about 2650 fps from a 9.3mm wildcat carried by my hunting partner, that apparently hadn't bonded. The first one hit a water buffalo's shoulder joint as the bull stood quartering toward us at 50 yards. After several more shots, including a couple solids from the .458 Lott the guide carried, the buffalo finally died. The first A-Frame had broken the shoulder, but was recovered against the ribcage, the rear core having broken through the partition. It retained just about exactly half its weight, and was about as flat as a bottle cap. Only one of the 300's made it through the ribs, the last one, fired between the shots from the .458 Lott.

Luckily neither buffalo charged. The Cape buffalo had plenty of opportunity to, but every time he was jumped went the other way.

Have seen nothing but great results from both bullets on other animals over the decades. But can also say the same about Partitions.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a significant stash of federal safari ammo with the 300 gr bear claws , as well as 300 gr partitions in.375 ... had been wondering if they were any good as I typically hear A frames and Tsx recommended as well

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Given the data it is more than interesting to see one repeatably push Nosler though given the hunts, well why not...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Big shrug. I've been on around 100 big game hunts in North America and other places, paid for by various entities including manufacturers, booking agents, outfitters, and my own bank account. Have done even more hunting on my own in Montana since taking my first big game animal here 50 years ago, including some guiding. This experience has allowed me to personally observe quite a few rifles, bullets, optics and other hunting products in action, and that experience has helped me considerably in my profession.

So far in this thread the "negative" opinions about Partitions have been second-hand quotes about which other bullets PH's recommend, but there haven't been any detailed examples of how Partitions failed. I'd be very interested in reading about specific examples, because am still eager to learn.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
I do not want a tip in my dangerous game rifle

There may be a good reason for that, but what is it? I can't understand yet what it is without further explanation.

While hunting for bear and others, I shot the huge moose in the attached three times in about five seconds with a 225gr TTSX in my .340 Wby (MV 3,160 per chrono; 3,050 fps at impact). Two zipped through the giant moose blowing large amounts of tissue and bone into jelly-like goo. The third attached recovered one did the same and was just under the far said pelt. I've shot hundreds of these tipped rounds in my .375 Wby; .340 Wby; .300 WM; 7mm Wby; .308 Win; .and 243 Win. Never has one failed. Is there any evidence that these ever can fail? They just are shot when fired and don't slow down as fast I think.

https://imgur.com/5OUz9dK

https://imgur.com/YyC01Na

https://imgur.com/0E4sXBP

Last edited by MarineHawk; 12/20/17.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Wait, wait! I had a 300gr Nosler "fail". I shot the south end of a north bound, previously shot bull moose. I found where the bullet came to rest in the neck meat after 4+ feet of penetration. That sucky bullet looked perfect except that it slipped its core. Looked like a normal expanded bullet but was obviously much lighter. It was a wonderful "failure"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, it's really hard to speak badly of Partitions. I've used them with great success but in my experience they tend to shoot less accurately than others and especially TSXs. I've shot buffalo (Cape) with the Swift (416 and 375) and while they shot extremely accurately, I agree with MD they don't tend to dig in as deep as others. To cut to the chase, if Partitions were to shoot well out of my 375 I would have 100% confidence in them, but given a choice, I'm am now in the TSX camp all the way.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by EdM
I do not want a tip in my dangerous game rifle

There may be a good reason for that, but what is it? I can't understand yet what it is without further explanation.

While hunting for bear and others, I shot the huge moose in the attached three times in about five seconds with a 225gr TTSX in my .340 Wby (MV 3,160 per chrono; 3,050 fps at impact). Two zipped through the giant moose blowing large amounts of tissue and bone into jelly-like goo. The third attached recovered one did the same and was just under the far said pelt. I've shot hundreds of these tipped rounds in my .375 Wby; .340 Wby; .300 WM; 7mm Wby; .308 Win; .and 243 Win. Never has one failed. Is there any evidence that these ever can fail? They just are shot when fired and don't slow down as fast I think.

https://imgur.com/5OUz9dK

https://imgur.com/YyC01Na

https://imgur.com/0E4sXBP

I also fail to see a problem with the TTSX, bullet. The larger hollow that is required for the post of the tip, increases the speed of expansion and improves the BC. A win, win any way you look at it, since the penetration is excellent to boot.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/21/17.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jorge,

The tendency of A-Frames to not exit buffalo is one reason some PH's like them. As I mentioned in an earlier post, several PH's I know prefer the 270 TSX .375 to the 300 TSX, because it has less tendency to exit buffalo, thus preventing the exiting bullet from hitting another buffalo in a herd. This happens occasionally, a decidedly stressful complication! A-Frames tend to expand widely, the reason they don't usually exit, but it's also why they put a big hole in whatever they hit, an excellent combination.

What loads have you tried with the 300-grain Partition? It's shot well for me in three .375's, two H&H's and a Ruger, especially in the Mark X Mauser I've had for over 25 years now. Though it doesn't shoot any better than the 270-grain TSX, which will probably be the bullet used if I ever go on another buffalo hunt.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi John. My comments on the Partition were of a general nature. I've had issues with accuracy in my 257, 338 and 7mms. I've never tried it on the 375. I used the Aframe because they were "all the rage" back in the early 2000s and a good friend with lots of Africa under his belt recommended them and they shot lights out in my 375 and 416, not so well in my 338 or 300. As to the TSX, I remember speaking with Connie Brooks years ago and she mentioned they obtained better results with the 270gr in the 375 and the 350gr in the 416.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah! Yeah, that makes sense, due to rifling twist rates.

300 A-Frames (and Break-Away Solids) also shoot very well in my Mark X .375 H&H. In fact it shoots well with almost any bullet, and also tends to shoot various bullet weights to the same point of impact, handy for field-testing. Which is why it's the only .375 I've kept over the years

My Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H, which I used even more in Africa, would shoot most 300-grain bullets to the same POI, but other bullet weights landed in various places. I did manage to work up a practice/deer load with 220 Hornady flat-noses at around .38-55 velocity that landed in the same place as full-power 300-grain loads. Used them considerably when practicing for an an all iron-sight safari 15 years ago, and the Hornadys exploded prairie dogs just as well as a .22-250.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well, this thread settles it, there must be 500 years of combined worldwide hunting experience in this thread, I'll go and shoot a Cape Buffalo with a 375 H&H with 300 grain Partitions and find out for myself, will try like hell for a shot straight through both shoulders.

Then report my findings.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Yessir, ole Rube's still wearing your stainless bottom metal proudly, I was in shock on how tight and well fit it went into an existing stock. cool

Photos of ole Rube. Gunner finally got wifey to send these photos, all this computer stuff is deligated accordingly.... laugh

Gunner, that's nice checkering. I know you didn't do it, what's the story... wink

That SS bottom metal did fit really well. I like the barrel band and the whole set up.

You done good... smile

Ole Rube would look good in any setting, would look great leaning up against dead trophy critters in Africa...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL DF, hope Guy doesn't mind me dirtying up his thread. smile

'Ol Rube is quite a story, the action came from a classic Laredo in 7mm STW I bought new back in the early 90's, torched the throat on that, pulled the barrel, sold the stock, had 'Smith take a classic stainless 375 H&H barrel, drill it to 375 A.I. then screw it on.

Called American Gunstocks out in Cali about a stock they had in stock, it had a 14" LOP that no one wanted, SOLD I said, took it along with a set of engraved cross-bolts, barrel band and rear sight from NECG back to 'Smith, had him bed barreled action to stock and install cross-bolts, barrel band and rear sight, I filed rear sight dead on at 25 yards with the 300 gr BBW #13 solids at a very easy 2700 fps, returned the sight blade for bluing and final shaping.

Then along comes a dude named DF with some classic stainless bottom metal for sale. grin

That rifle wears a 2.5-8 Leupold in Talley QD rings, it's one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned, it's also the rifle I used to power 270 gr TSX's to 3100 fps with RL-17, have backed all other 270 gr TSX loads back to an even 3K, made a thread here about that, haven't found a bullet yet it wont shoot accurately, Ol Rube Goldberg has a muddy bloodline, but I'll never sell it.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh, BTW, the fluer'd leis? checkering was already cut. blush

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Really nice. I love the stock and checkering.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks DF, it's been said before, but, the pics don't do the wood justice, it's much darker and richer in person, I got lucky on that one. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

So far in this thread the "negative" opinions about Partitions have been second-hand quotes about which other bullets PH's recommend, but there haven't been any detailed examples of how Partitions failed. I'd be very interested in reading about specific examples, because am still eager to learn.

Kinda like any other Nosler Partition thread....

Yes there are plenty of great bullets out there nowadays..( I like Swift A- frames in the context of this thread...) but the NPT is one of the few sure bets in life...it will work!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that rifle Gunner!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Poobs, 'ol rubes a shooter. smile

That 14" LOP would fit you like a glove.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner, does that 14" LOP qualify you as a long armed, knuckle dragger...?

laugh

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

laugh

DF

That would depend on how long his legs are, wouldn't it? smile

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Dirty up the thread? With pictures of a beautiful Win Model 70 in 375? My goodness... go for it! smile

I kinda like purty 375 Model 70's myself:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No checkering on mine. I found it on the used gun rack at a local shop... They really didn't know what they had, so I scooped it up. Built by Michael Scherz. He told me all about the rifle when I phoned him and confirmed that he'd built it. Someone here on the campfire steered me in his direction, recognizing the scope bases. Douglas barrel, quarter rib, etc. Topped it with a 1.5-5x Leupold in QR Talley rings. Shoots great! The iron sights are perfect at 50 yards with 300 grain ammo. Am waiting for a cape buff to charge through central Washington so I can use it on something other than targets...

Somehow, I ended up with two 375's, the other is a Ruger Number One that my sons have named "Dad's bear rifle" because I keep taking it for our Washington black bear.

Guy

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Michael told me that the original owner took it to Africa and killed 22 head of big game with it on its first trip.

So... I'd kinda like to take it over there and see about adding another half dozen or so critters to the tally.

Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, super wood.

I like it.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

laugh

DF

They pretty long... grin

Knuckle dragging is a whole different matter... blush

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

laugh

DF

UH, yes, and no. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Guy, that's a nice stick, you need to get that rifle to Africa, gotta build a history with it Buddy. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe

Kinda like any other Nosler Partition thread....

Yes there are plenty of great bullets out there nowadays..( I like Swift A- frames in the context of this thread...) but the NPT is one of the few sure bets in life...it will work!

Right again Men, those 300 gr 375 cal Partitions are so crappy I just bought 10 boxes from SPS today, that should keep the old pre-64 375 perking along just fine for awhile.

Trump Won!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
An earlier SPS sale is how I ended up with a few bags of 300 gr Partitions... smile

Guy

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Guy, that's a nice stick, you need to get that rifle to Africa, gotta build a history with it Buddy. smile

Ya, it deserves to be used. smile

ALMOST took it to Alaska for grizzly last spring, but decided on the lighter 30-06 instead. The smaller rifle worked fine, but in retrospect I kind of wish I'd smacked that big bear with my big rifle.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got 3? boxes of 300gr NPs, brass aplenty, but no .375 rifles at the moment. Obviously that needs to change,
😃

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 340boy
I've got 3? boxes of 300gr NPs, brass aplenty, but no .375 rifles at the moment. Obviously that needs to change,
😃

You may be a 375 addict if you've got bullets & brass, but no rifle! smile

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
😃

Guy

Yessir. I need an H&H like another hole in the head. 😃😃I'm looking at a M70 or even maybe that Howa(Weatherby)?

Last edited by 340boy; 12/27/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
There is a good guy, selling a great .375 H&H, Weatherby Vanguard, with a LOT of cool stuff, like a McMillan stock, Leupold scope & more... asking a very reasonable price, over on the Nosler Reloading forum. I haven't checked to see if it's in the classifieds here or not.

Heck of a rifle.

Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Everyone needs at least one .375 H&H.

Just 'cause... cool

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

ALMOST took it to Alaska for grizzly last spring, but decided on the lighter 30-06 instead. The smaller rifle worked fine, but in retrospect I kind of wish I'd smacked that big bear with my big rifle.

Guy

That is a good looking rifle! There is a thread on another forum here that says the .30-06 sucks, and yet another that says its obsolete. So you'd best go back to Alaska and slay another bear with the .375!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Guy

That is a good looking rifle! There is a thread on another forum here that says the .30-06 sucks, and yet another that says its obsolete. So you'd best go back to Alaska and slay another bear with the .375!!!

I guess packing an old '06 will get you eaten by a big bruin... shocked

Don't ask Phil about the '06, just read his by-line...

If hunting a big bear, I'd be packing my .375 H&H, likely stoked with 270 TSX's or 300 NPT's, either one should do the trick if I do my part.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
😃

Guy

Yessir. I need an H&H like another hole in the head. 😃😃I'm looking at a M70 or even maybe that Howa(Weatherby)?

How about an Interterms Mark X Whitworth?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wheres the barrel band on that Mofo?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe,I think this is an earlier version of the Whitworth,as there is no barrel band.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice rifle Elk, is that a 3X Leupold on that rifle?

Trump Won!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

That scope on Elk's rifle looks more like a 2.5x to me. I've got an older 3x on my 375 Ruger Number One, aka "Dad's bear rifle."

[Linked Image]

Guy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Guy, that'll work too. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ingwe, I think this is an earlier version of the Whitworth,as there is no barrel band.

Ingwe had a real nice one with exceptional wood.

When he converted to trick shooting, he sold it.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ingwe, I think this is an earlier version of the Whitworth,as there is no barrel band.

Ingwe had a real nice one with exceptional wood.

When he converted to trick shooting, he sold it.

DF

laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken,
That's a beauty! 😎

James Elroy Flecker

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Ken, that is a seriously nice rifle. Love the straight-grain stock!

I remember when those Interarms Mark X Whitworth rifles were readily available... Should have helped myself to a pair of 'em way back when. Of course, I was in the Marines then and pretty much broke. Sigh...

A pair of 'em in 30-06 and 375, and I could have taken any big game... But, I didn't have the money for big hunts either. Gotta quit hallucinating! smile

Guy

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

It is a 2.5x Leupold.

GuyM,I remember the them also,excellent rifle for the money back then.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody who needs a barrel band mounted sling swivel doesn't know how to hold a rifle correctly,or has too short of a forend.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back to the Partition "problem", I wonder if there wasn't a process defect in some of the bullets at one time. I recall reading a thread on a defunct site about a .375" Partition appearing to lose its rear core after being shot into a log or something like that. He wasn't complaining, he was just wondering what may have happened. It seemed the responses were it couldn't happen. There were no pictures but the poster seemed perplexed and not accusatory as to what happened.

Also, I think it was Kevin Robrtson who wrote of a similar experience in one of his books. I can't remember his thoughts on the matter were but the mention did stand out. That is about it for the hearsay, anecdotal folk lore I can add to this thread. If there was the rare manufacturing flaw that showed up in the field even once, it would be little surprise to see that story spread and enlarged in short order.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Anybody who needs a barrel band mounted sling swivel doesn't know how to hold a rifle correctly,or has too short of a forend.

That gun's killed a mess of NM Jackwabbits and I never heard any complaints from Elk... smile

So, I guess he can hold it right and it isn't too short... blush

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

That gun's killed a mess of NM Jackwabbits and I never heard any complaints from Elk... smile

So, I guess he can hold it right and it isn't too short... blush

DF

Or,they like a barrel mounted sling stud. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Barrel Mounted Sling Swivel!!!

It’s my understanding that the purpose was, on high recoil rifles, sometimes the front sling swivel would contact the hand (hard). If nothing else, it lowers the muzzle when rifle is shouldered....which is beneficial in areas of low limbs, etc.. I have a barrel mounted swivel on my rifle.I can shoulder my rifle and walk up out of my basement without contact on the overhead....can’t with my wife’s rifle (conventional stock mount)!

The only negative (IMO) is... if you use a tight sling when shooting, it could change barrel harmonics or cause contact with a free floated barrel...causing a zero-shift. As I have full length bedding....it hasn’t proven to be an issue for me! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/29/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

It is a 2.5x Leupold.

GuyM,I remember the them also,excellent rifle for the money back then.

Thanks Elk. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

LOL, not always, they look cooler, are more secure that a stock stud, plus, if you're not four foot five inches tall, they provide a much lower carrying height for a slung rifle, mucho easier getting through the thicks. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken, that is a seriously nice rifle. Love the straight-grain stock!

I remember when those Interarms Mark X Whitworth rifles were readily available... Should have helped myself to a pair of 'em way back when. Of course, I was in the Marines then and pretty much broke. Sigh...

A pair of 'em in 30-06 and 375, and I could have taken any big game... But, I didn't have the money for big hunts either. Gotta quit hallucinating! smile

Guy

The guns we have let slip through our fingers...
☹️

James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I let a pre-'64 Model 70 .375 H&H slip away, priced at only $375. But that was in 1974, the equivalent of $2000 today--still a good deal, but I couldn't come up with that much money in '74!

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Couple pics of the left-hand side of the Whitworth.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken,
That's a good looking rifle. How's she shoot for you?

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I let a pre-'64 Model 70 .375 H&H slip away, priced at only $375. But that was in 1974, the equivalent of $2000 today--still a good deal, but I couldn't come up with that much money in '74!

Talk about "the one that got away!" frown

James Elroy Flecker

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Been awhile since I shot it,but IIRC with a 300 gr SAF it is around 1-1/4" at 100 yards. Good enough for jackrabbits. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good enough for jackrabbits. grin

Stunt shooter. You need a 460Wby with 500gr solids for jacks...
😜

James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Been awhile since I shot it,but IIRC with a 300 gr SAF it is around 1-1/4" at 100 yards. Good enough for jackrabbits. grin

Nice, and I'll bet those lightweight Weavers have never thought about slipping that scope. cool

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Nice, and I'll bet those lightweight Weavers have never thought about slipping that scope. cool

It isn't an issue in this case. Ken's so damned skinny he absorbs all of the recoil, much like a pole vaulter's pole bending. That way, there is no real recoil impulse to bother the scope mounts. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Actually Ed,I'm full of schit and that stuff is like a shock absorber when it comes to recoil. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

It isn't an issue in this case. Ken's so damned skinny he absorbs all of the recoil, much like a pole vaulter's pole bending. That way, there is no real recoil impulse to bother the scope mounts. grin

Ed

laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually Ed,I'm full of schit and that stuff is like a shock absorber when it comes to recoil. wink

Oh no. Sounds like you are a Limbsaver on legs. 😉

James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Dem Jackwabbits gets him all excited 'til he don't even feel dat recoil... grin

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
John sell's Nosler well and for good reason. Me, I am and a Barnes fan, you John?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I am. I used what are now called Barnes Original bullets long before Randy Brooks purchased the company and developed the X-Bullet, and used what might now be called the original X-Bullet (including the blue-coated XLC) long before the TSX and TTSX appeared. My wife's a Barnes user too. In fact, Eileen was the first hunter to provide Connie Brooks with a personal "field report" on a bull elk killed with the then-new TSX, back in 2003, and on the same hunt also proved a 140-grain .270 TSX will expand well on a coyote. One or the other of us has used TSX's or Tipped TSX's on some sort of big game every year since then. According to my hunting notes, we've now used variations of Barnes X's on 17 species of game in North America and Africa.

According to the same notes, I've now "field tested" a couple dozen kinds of controlled-expansion bullets on big game (including three other monolithics), along with a bunch of cup-and-cores. But in order to gather as much specific information as possible, I've also accompanied other hunters who took several hundred other animals, and also gathered detailed reports from experienced guides, outfitters and PH's. Unlike many hunters, I don't pick "the best" bullet, because I've found plenty of bullets work very well.

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Dem Jackwabbits gets him all excited 'til he don't even feel dat recoil... grin

DF

whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Woodsmaster81:

FWIW: Kevin Robertson wrote the book: AFRICA'S MOST DANGEROUS. The section regarding "Selecting The Right Bullet" pg 137. "The 300 grain Winchester Silvertip was once a popular buffalo bullet. Somewhere along the line, however, something in its construction changed and it became so "soft" that it should no longer be considered suitable for use on buffalo. To date, I have seen only two buffalo wounded and lost. The first occurred when I was still a learner PH undergoing my apprenticeship. Using a 300-grain Nosler Partition in .375 H&H calibre, our client took an easy 50-pace, full frontal chest shot at a mature herd bull in fairly open mopane country. I watched the bull thud to the ground as if lightning-struck. But he was instantly back on his feet and lost in the dust and confusion of the milling herd before any backup shots could be fired. The herd thundered off but pulled up after a short run, and I was able to observe them carefully through my binocular before they moved off again. The wounded bull could not be identified within such a large herd, and all the trackers found were a few small drops of thin, watery blood. A long follow-up ensued, but we never caught up with or found the bull. We even returned to the area the next day and searched without success until sunset. We all finally concluded that the Partition must have SET UP (caps mine) and expanded on the thick, loose, and supple frontal chest skin without penetrating into the chest cavity. Though the bull was not fatally wounded, blood had been spilled and according to the regulations our client lost what he had come all the way to Africa for."

Might behoove potential buffalo hunters to purchase a copy of Robertson's book before heading to the Dark Continent for buffalo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
TSIBINDI,

Thanks for the specific example of a 300-grain Partition "failing"--which doesn't contain any evidence except a buffalo that disappeared with the evidence of what happened with the bullet.

Kevin Robertson's suggestion contains a lot of speculation, and a misunderstanding of how expanding bullets work. With rare exceptions, mostly long-range "hollow-point" bullets like Bergers, expanding bullets start to expand the instant they hit skin, and are completely expanded by the time they penetrate their own length. This has been proven many times in test media, including videos of bullets shot into clear ballistic gelatin, as well as big game.

Also, the phrase "set up" is often used by British hunters, and others who descended from Brits. It means "expanded" or mushroomed. I don't know why Kevin used both "set up" and "expanded" here, but unless soft-points somehow fail to expand somehow, that's how they work. (I know Kevin Robertson a little, and published a couple of his articles when I was editor of a hunting magazine, which is why I'm wondering about the redundant phrasing.) If a Nosler Partition doesn't penetrate deeply because it started to expand on a buffalo's chest skin, then the same could happen to any other softpoint, including several that expand even more widely than Partitions.

But we don't know what actually happened on that particular buffalo, and neither does Kevin.

Plus, as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, an even more experienced African PH, Kevin Thomas, killed hundreds of buffalo with 180-grain Partitions from a .30-06 when culling on a big ranch in what was then Rhodesia. I'd read Kevin Robertson's book when I hunted with Kevin Thomas the first time, and as a result specifically asked him he had any trouble with 180 Partitions penetrating buffalo with frontal shots, and he said no, not even on mature bulls.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There has always been a lot of blaming the bullet for failings of the shooter. In one of Elmer Keith's old books he talks about loosing an animal after the bullet had destroyed 6" of its spine ! I always wondered how he knew that since it got away.

The late Finn Aagaard was always polite but usually to the point and when a bear hunter returned to camp one afternoon and was telling how he had hit his bear "right behind the shoulder" with a 300 gr Partition from his 375 but they watched it run for over 3 miles and it got away, Finn's comment was "if you were using a 300 gr Nosler you didn't hit it right behind the shoulder "

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would agree that is a pretty lame explanation as to why they lost the buffalo and don't buy it. It's easier for some to blame the bullet than admit they failed to hit the animal in the right spot.

Gerry.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Or they are using one of 458Win's picatinny rail flashlight mounts - I've put these on a couple of my rifles and they are awesome. A sling hanging in front of a flashlight would probably block some light, but I suspect enough would "flow" around the sling much as it does the barrel itself - I'll have to try hanging a strap in front of the Surefire Scout tonight to see. Regardless, if the stock has a conventional sling swivel location, or at 45* on the tip as mine do, there's obviously no sling to get in the way. Of course if one removed the sling from one's barrel-band sling swivel/pic flashlight mounted rifle there wouldn't be an issue either....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well, just got my 300 gr Partition order in from SPS this afternoon, hurried out to the load shop for some chrono results with RL-17, got an easy 2700 fps, loaded three and went to the bags, group went 1.15" at 100 in a 4-5 mph quarter crosswind, plus, I was in a hurry racing sundown, it'll keep under an inch with a little more relaxed shooting time, group was fired in the pre-64 model 70 Winchester 375 H&H I got from BSA here at the 'fire, used a 1.5-5 Leupold scope with standard duplex reticle on the rifle in Burris QD rings and steel Warne bases.

I'll load the rest of my new brass with this load, then load the entire 200+ sticks with this load when those are fired, here at 555 ASL Oklahoma that bullet will carry 1800 fps out to a long 450 yards, bet it would keep 1800 a good bit past 500 on the side of an Elk mountain out West.

3"s up at 100 will zero it around 235-240 yards, only drifts 2' at 500 here with a full value 10 mph wind, I'd use this load on anything from small African antelope to Cape Buffalo and everything here and there in between, with two 300 gr BBW #13 solids at the same speed in the magazine, you'd be ready for all game.

Those are some pretty good numbers men, who says the old H&H wont stretch it a little? smile

Trump Won!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
2700 fps with a 300 gr bullet, in a standard 375 H&H chamber? Impressive!

Not surprised at the accuracy, these things usually shoot well.

Good work!

Guy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Guy, you bet, standard H&H, I took the old H&H to max power more than 20 years ago, used IMR-4350 and W-W 760 powders to power the 300 gr BTSP's from Hornady and Sierra to 2700 fps in a Browning Safari 375 H&H, accuracy was great and brass lasted forever, that rifle is another I regret selling. cry

The 300 gr Partition will have a bit longer bearing surface than the BTSP's so I use RL-17, it's a bit slower burning, 81 grs in 'my rfle' is perfectly safe with both the NPT and BBW solid, that old cartridge will still certainly carry the mail so loaded ;]

My 375 AI [rube goldberg] will run the 300 gr solids to 2900 fps and the 270 TSX's to 3100 if you want to lean on it that hard, I load the 270's to an even 3K and the solids to a very easy 2700 now.

Trump Won!
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Guy, you bet, standard H&H, I took the old H&H to max power more than 20 years ago, used IMR-4350 and W-W 760 powders to power the 300 gr BTSP's from Hornady and Sierra to 2700 fps in a Browning Safari 375 H&H, accuracy was great and brass lasted forever, that rifle is another I regret selling. cry

The 300 gr Partition will have a bit longer bearing surface than the BTSP's so I use RL-17, it's a bit slower burning, 81 grs in 'my rfle' is perfectly safe with both the NPT and BBW solid, that old cartridge will still certainly carry the mail so loaded ;]

My 375 AI [rube goldberg] will run the 300 gr solids to 2900 fps and the 270 TSX's to 3100 if you want to lean on it that hard, I load the 270's to an even 3K and the solids to a very easy 2700 now.

Wow! Very cool. I've only been shooting one for about nine years, and never ran it that hard. Learned that a lot of factory 300 gr ammo produces muzzle velocity in the 2400 - 2500 fps range.

I've only used mine on a few black bear now. It did work real well, despite being rather under-employed.

Regards, Guy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on the under employment, and congrats on the black bears, I've shot a few deer and pigs with my 375's over the years, told me the one gun rep for all of Africa was well founded. cool

I have a habit of gleaning all I can get from cartridges, don't have any of the fancy testing equipment labs have, but rely on the tried and true casehead expansion, primer pocket tightness, extraction of fired rounds and brass life methods, so far so good, a few examples of different cartridges below.

416 Taylor, 2400 fps with CFE-223 and 400 gr Partitions without heavy powder compression.
400 Whelen, 2255 fps with CFE-223 and 400 gr Woodleigh's without heavy compression.
9.3-62mm, 2400 fps with RL-17 and 320 gr Woodleigh's without heavy compression.
458 WM, an easy 2150 fps with H-335 and 500 gr Partitions without heavy compression. 2150 was all I wanted in the 458, that speed has proven effective for a hundred years in other 458 cal big bores.

As has your 24/2500 fps 300 gr 375 loads, 300 gr Partitions at 2700 fps make the old H&H a true 400 yard hunting rifle

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The wind finally took a hike this afternoon, grabbed my rifle and hurried out to the bench, three shots went in under an inch at 100 yards, adjusted scope 5 clicks left and fired another 300 gr partition at 2700 fps, landed right at 3"s high, quarter inch left of center, perfect. smile

The remaining 200+ rounds of once fired R-P brass will be so loaded, bring on the game............................................................................just had a depressing thought, I'll have damn near 7 months of mowing, brushogging, weedeating, spraying fence rows and pastures before season opens again. cry too much work, not enough hunting!

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.