Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,
I currently keep my records in a couple of binders along with targets .

I’m not a spring chicken nor am I fluent with a PC .
But I can follow instructions and enter data which I’m guessing is what you do with most of the programs.

I like the idea of a target on the screen and keeping my data .
I’d also like to be able to save it on a disc or other device and print it out .
I see several fellows mention QuickLoad , and Ballistic Explorer . I’m sure there are several.
Also wondering how you get your shot targets on the program .
Any help you can pass along will be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post , I grew up using a paper and pencil not a calculator , but the digital age is here , I may as well join it .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fi
Soup

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have QuickLoad, QuickTarget, Sierra Infinity, and Ballistic Explorer. None of which allow me to save an image of a target with other load data. However, Ballistic Explorer has a Data dialog where I can keep data for reloading as well as Group size and RSD (radial standard deviation) along with a short note. I could include the location of a target image in the note, but Group size and RDS tell me how accurate the load was.

There's room for 20 types of data and all that data along with all the shooting conditions is easily saved to the trace catalog on disk. I like the catalog feature because I can display and sort by trace name, load name, category, caliber, gun name, bullet name, and powder name when I'll trying to find something from a few years ago. The catalog is all in a single file, which makes it easy to backup to another drive so that I don't lose my data because of a hard drive fail or my doing something stupid.

Those new to PC's might find Ballistic Explorer a bit overwhelming. Each part is easy to use, but there's a lot to it. I've had it for over 10 years and there are still parts I don't use and they keep adding new features, which by the way, current users get for free. Luckily, they have a lot of helps including some videos. Search for Ballistic Explorer on YouTube and check out the G1 vs G7 video.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since you are not against data entry, Excel allows the imbedding of pictures to the specific file or load.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Since you are not against data entry, Excel allows the imbedding of pictures to the specific file or load.

This^^

Excel does everything I need to keep my reloading records, load information, gun inventory, etc. Pictures of targets can be easily linked if you want. I keep the targets in a binder for each gun and all the other data on Excel.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Excel is a good program for tracking any kind of information, from loading data, to auto repair, to family budgets. Ballistic Explorer allows ballistics data to be exported to Excel, which makes it easy to add to loading and shooting data.

IC B2

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Libre Office or Open Office are vastly lower-cost (no cost, if you don’t want to donate) options to Microsoft Office. I prefer them because MS is trying very hard to move to a monthly or annual fee forever if you want to continue to use Excel.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,

I've looked at Point Blank -Quick Load -and Reload Buddy . My inquiry to all of them was do your programs include data form reloading manuals . Quick Load responded no , but did tell me they use I believe thermodynamics for their data .
.What I want to be able to do is pick out a cartridge , say .300 Savage with a certain twist and get some proven SAFE data .
Or when logging my own loads pick from a library of cases-powder- primers -bullets etc , I'm sure you guys get the idea .
I see that some have a target where you can either take a picture of your target and download the results or allow you to mark your shots on a program target so you can save it and analyze it.

Does anyone know of such a software ? Am I projecting myself clearly ? I'm only a hobbyist and at my retired age trying to take some advantage of todays great technology .

Thanks to all for your input . If I can speak to any of you please shoot me a PM and we can talk about it . Maybe you can tell me what I want better than I can tell you .

Once again thank you in advance for your time help and consideration .

Semper Fi
Soup

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the old original version of Point Blank. I did not like the newer versions, and saved the original. They have a bullet database, with the BC's and such, and you can add bullets into it, if the one that you want is not there. You can save or print all of your data and spot your shots on a target, by XY to look at groups later. I am a member of the web site that came up with it, but have not been there for a long time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Soup,

If you are looking to keep track of your loads Point Blank can do that. I did the same as Miles and kept the older version 1.8a on a USB drive that I often have with me. The newer version is nicer in some ways, but I still prefer the older version.

If you are looking for load data in a computer program there is a program called Reloaders' Reference. I don't think it's been updated in 7-8 years so the data is not 100% current. There is also an app I have on my Android phone, Reloading Assistant. It also has fairly comprehensive load data but is not kept completely up-to-date. Considering most powder and bullet manufacturers publish their load data on line now, and it's always the most current version, I don't usually bother with the "load data applications" anymore.

You could also get a subscription to LoadData.com. It is my understanding that they have a very comprehensive library of loading data for a yearly subscription of $30. I have not used it, however.

If you wish to use a scanner (or with a camera/cellphone and transfer the pic to a PC) to capture a picture of your target and have it analyzed you can use a piece of software known as OnTarget Precision Calculator. It's a good bargain at $11.99 and is much preferred by me than manually measuring all targets by hand. They also offer software that's a step-up from the precision calculator with even more features and capabilities for $34.99. It's called OnTarget TDS. I haven't used this one. I spoke with the author of OnTarget PC over e-mail and asked if he'd considered expanding his application to include record keeping of load data, etc. He said he wasn't interested in that because he wasn't interested in creating "another handloading data log program". He wanted to keep his programs as simple as possible. I'd still love to see something like automatic group size calculation included in load tracking software. The fit just makes sense.

Hopefully that was helpful to you.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

You might look closely here:

https://www.shootingsoftware.com/target.htm

Some interesting stuff, and looks to me like it can record
and store targets.

FjLee Denver CO

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 77 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.