Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hoping for suggestions I have a ruger #1 that has some slop or play on the lever latch, not much but enough to bother me it can move when closed and can make noise.
Any suggestions short of welding it up and refitting?

Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For what it's worth, my new 1V is a little sloppy too, but doesn't rattle unless touched. My late brother's 200th Anniverary .270 did the same thing. He glued a little piece of plastic in the slot. It might be possible to bend the spring a bit to increase the tension.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, apparently this is a flaw that has crept into a lot of production rifles. I recently bought a No. 1S .30-06 and it does the same thing, the tab that holds the lever shut isn't tight so you can jiggle the lever ever so slightly up and down.

I might have to call Ruger to see what their suggestion is.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Interesting, apparently this is a flaw that has crept into a lot of production rifles. I recently bought a No. 1S .30-06 and it does the same thing, the tab that holds the lever shut isn't tight so you can jiggle the lever ever so slightly up and down.

I might have to call Ruger to see what their suggestion is.

My guess is they'll say it's "within spec", the catch-all phrase that's all the rage with gunmakers these days. My brother's trick worked well and was invisible. A fussier person could use metal and solder it in I suppose (he was fussy enough to have a pristine Kimber of Oregon .22 and a couple of nice double guns rust-blued, but whatever). As long as it doesn't rattle just from movement, I don't much care, but it's another, albeit minor reason I somewhat prefer the 1885s to the Rugers, even though I own both.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ruger is one of the best companies to work with on issue with their products.
Call them.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My stainless .45-70 is the same. I put a small square of electrical tape on the lever just ahead of the latch where it contacts the trigger guard. Problem solved, no "click" when the lever is bumped.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have seen a few No.1's where the lever latch did not engage the trigger guard surface well enough. It appeared kinda loose and would allow the lever to disengage the guard with a bump on the lever itself. The lever latch surface in front of the little screw is the surface that controls how much movement(bite) the lever latch has into the slot on the guard. I tried prior to this, a new spring in the area, but to no avail. I had to change the range of movement of the lever latch for more purchase into the guard.

FWIW

Last edited by redz06; 12/03/17.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by tmitch
My stainless .45-70 is the same. I put a small square of electrical tape on the lever just ahead of the latch where it contacts the trigger guard. Problem solved, no "click" when the lever is bumped.

My 70's vintage #1A 7x57 had the same issue, and I used the same cure. Had to replace the tape after a couple of years but it solves the problem.

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Redz06. I was thinking about that but I can already see day light between the lock and the lever in the middle. Maybe I will mark it to see how much I can change it without it coming out of its groove.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My instance was not that much. My hook was not engaging the guard very well, a bump would push the lever down. Only took a little off that one surface and cured my particular instance.

I have not seen a gap like you described, but thought it would have latched up tight before that gap showed up. Never a surprise in the gun stuff huh?

I am sure you have studied the interface of the guard and the lever lock until the cows came home. Wonder if a new lock piece from Ruger would help? Hope you get the issue settled out.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably a different issue but I saw one that the client wanted noiseless for stalking. The smith added two Teflon washers to the lever hinge pin and it took the play and any noise out.

Yours a new latch and spring might be in order.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On Number Ones I have had and on the one I have now, the issue has been twofold. First, the lever was loose and rattled. Second, the breech block did not rise up enough and the firing pin struck low. My cure was to drill a 1/8 inch hole on each side of the top surface of the lever, right under the block. I then inserted a pin into each hole and silver soldered them in place. Then it was a simple matter to file them to the appropriate height so that they just lifted the block up the extra .015" it had to go. This got the firing pin striking center and took all of the play out of the lever when it was closed up. No rattle. GD

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hmmmm, that sounds like a pretty good idea....

I have a 300H&H that has a simular issue.

I think I might have to try that.

Thx,
Todd

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.