Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
378 yds, 20mph wind quartering left to right, up hill. 6.5 creedmor 143 ELDX.
Held for the high shoulder. Hit her about 6 inches to the right, and blew the spine. Lost some back strap
Bullet blew a hole 3" on exit. Sorry no pic

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats Dennis.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice report with supportive photos. Hopefully I can report a similar scenario in a few weeks with the 143g. ELD-X.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice work Dennis cool that you got to team up w/ a good ‘fire brother!!

Great report; congratulations on the bull!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on the Bull! Looks like a big one to me! Thanks for the story & pics!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congrats! I ordered some for my 30-06 (the 30 cal variety), seems like they would be a good choice for the mild velocity round. I didn’t kill an elk (or anything) this year but I will kill one next year!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would like to try some of the ELD-X bullets but I am having such great luck with the Hornady Interlock in 140 grain .270 cal. Everything I have shot has been a quick kill, 50 yards and no more. Congratulations and a fine job!

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'm glad to see a positive report on the ELD-X bullets. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor several months back and the 143's have shot so well I've never bothered to try anything else, probably won't. Like you my concern how well they would perform on game. I've read several positive reports similar to yours. I've been shooting the 178's in my 308 with good accuracy as well.

The ELDX has performed very well for us this year. Three bucks, three shots, 150 out of a 7mm-08. One bull, 3 shots (he was dead after the first, but if he's standing my nephew is shooting), same load.

162 ELDX 7mm Rem Mag, one buck and two elk, three shots. No complaints.

P

Looks like the 143 worked perfectly for the op. I bought some of the 162's to try in both my 7mm mags... That pill looks pretty promising to me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Reloader 26 is your huckleberry in the 7 Rem Mag.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just shot a cow elk last night with my 6.5 creedmoor loaded with 143 eld-x bullets and I probably will not use them again. Way too explosive on entrance through the rib cage and not very good penetration. The elk died ok, but meat destruction was ridiculous. The entire left side of the front quarter will have to be thrown out due to blood-shot meat. I like the way the eld-x bullets shoot, but I think they are way too soft for my needs. I will go with a harder bullet in the future,

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I just shot a cow elk last night with my 6.5 creedmoor loaded with 143 eld-x bullets and I probably will not use them again. Way too explosive on entrance through the rib cage and not very good penetration. The elk died ok, but meat destruction was ridiculous. The entire left side of the front quarter will have to be thrown out due to blood-shot meat. I like the way the eld-x bullets shoot, but I think they are way too soft for my needs. I will go with a harder bullet in the future,

And mine made decent entrance hole, clipped bone and still exited. I guess we need a bigger sample. I need to shoot some deer with them. My shot was only 212 yards and MV was close to 3000 fps. I would have expected this to be a pretty severe test to the bullet.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats, gear bull. I've heard report of the ELD-X being soft and "blowing up", obviously, based on your pics "it ain't so"! Good shooting.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been doing this for a lot of years and seen more elk die than most. The 6.5 143 gr eld x gave terrible performance on my cow elk last week, considering chronographed velocity was only 2700 fps at the muzzle. And the elk was killed at 200yds. I did shoot a deer in Wisconsin this fall with the bullet too. It worked OK but no exit and more blood-shot meat than expected. Right now have the the same powder charge but with Sierra 140 gr game king bullets loaded. So we will see what happens if I can find another cow elk. I will not hunt with the eld-x again.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Kinda how I feel about the Accubond LR and a lot of guys are swearing by it while I'm swearing at it.

NRA Benefactor Member

T
T
Good info...as I'm also using the 143 eld x in my 6.5 creedmoor.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 140 gr SBT gameking worked better than the 143 eld-x in my humble opinion. Killed a second cow elk last week with it and got better penetration with less waste. Again not very scientific, but on the ground experience.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DLSguide
The 140 gr SBT gameking worked better than the 143 eld-x in my humble opinion. Killed a second cow elk last week with it and got better penetration with less waste. Again not very scientific, but on the ground experience.

Interesting. I have no experience with the 6.5 cal, 140gr SBT, but have killed and witnessed a number of elk killed with the 270 cal, 150gr and 30 cal 180gr SBT;s. I consider them a mediocre elk bullet. The 200gr SBT out of 06's have seemed to work well though.

My observation and complaint with conventional cup & core bullets is just that--inconsistency. One time they seem to do fine, next time they don't. Poor penetration, bullet doesn't hold together well, etc. Then the next time they'll slap an elk and end up picture perfect on the far side of the hide.

This is why I continually preach premium bullets, especially from 30 cal on down. My experience is Partitions are the most consistent performing when it come to penetrating through lots of elk to reach vitals. Monos are good too..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have killed a number of animals with my 260 and 260AI using the 140 Sierra Game king SBT bullet. In 6.5 caliber that is a very good bullet- just not a good 1000 yard bullet as it gives up a lot to the wind and a lot of velocity. The ELD-X claims to be the Holy Grail- working at both high and low velocities. Again, I have an experience of once but it was a good one and the bullet did exit.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice bull and good job.

I can see where you would be very choosy about what you shot and where you dropped a bull in that country.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A friend of mine shot a nice mature cow this week with factory loaded 143's in a Creedmore, at 70 yards. He picked her out of a herd in woods and at the shot she split from the rest and circled around in a small semi circle. She was still on her feet so he put one in her flank angling into the lungs. At that she fell over dead. He found his first bullet , after it went through rt scapula and both lungs at rest under the skin mid way back on ribs. Lot of damage to lungs . Only the jacket was at the skin . He stated he was happy as it only went a few yards. the other bullet got mostly liver and very rear of left lung. and exited. He did say ther was little to no blood on the ground because of the down hill angle on first shot and no exit . But where she was he said a lot of blood last few yards travelled. This is a second hand account and I saw the found bullet.

Oh an that cow in his truck with hide still on the quarters will be a bear to process as it is below zero!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.