Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm going to be going on my first trip to Africa to hunt plains game this coming September. I have purchased a pelican rifle case for the travel. My question is the shop i bought the case from is trying to sell me "TSA Approved" combination pad locks for the case at the cost of around $23 each. They're telling me that if i dont have a "TSA Approved" lock TSA will cut the lock and my firearm will be totally unlocked for whomever to do as they may with it. Anyone ever heard of this?? Thanks in advance!

Randall

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
That's BS, No TSA locks on Gun case. But you now need a lock in every hole, my pelican has 4 holes. I bought a set of master locks keyed alike.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 12/06/17.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Correct, no TSA locks on guns. You are the only one to have access. They will inspect them when you check them.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What the above posters are saying is likely true but I have had locks cut on my cases three times in the last five years both domestically and internationally. One time they even cut the TSA locks.

I always put some extra heavy duty zip ties in the case and so far they have got the hint and used them if they felt so inclined to mess with my stuff.

Semper Fi

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Private locks only and one lock in every hole. Don't use Zip ties if a lock is cut. They can hold your Firearm in route and you won't receive it. Put 4 small private locks in your Gun Case!!! I have had Private locks cut off in the U.S. in-route Internationally and there are NO available private locks in the Airport's to replace one!!! They only sell TSA aproved Locks. I had to leave the Airport with all my baggage to purchase one private lock 2 moths ago!!!

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No TSA locks. You have the key(s) to your locks, and the TSA agents must, by law, allow you to be in attendance while they open/close your gun case. Then they return your keys, and off you go. I've travelled to Africa 23 times, and I've never had (so far) any problems with TSA fussing about my locks.

Good hunting,

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My gun case has two rods that go through all four latch holes, and are locked by two padlocks at either end of the case. In effect, all holes are locked, but with two padlocks. Is my case still acceptable, or do I need to ditch the rods and padlock all four holes individually? It has never been a problem in the past, but the non-TSA lock regs are also new since the last time I went to Africa- things change with time.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My understanding is a lock in every hole the manufacturer has on the case. I've seen a guy cut off 2 of the tabs where lock go. I don't have a report how well that went over with the Fed's.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought 2 packages of 4 locks each package.
I put 4 locks on the Pelican and 1 pack of 4 inside the case on the top.
I place a note inside the case on top of the lock package that says "Please use these locks to secure this case if a necessity to cut my locks has occurred."
So far, it hasn't happened.
I keep both sets of keys on my travel key ring. The 2 sets of locks are keyed differently.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Or go to a real hardware store and just buy Masterlock locks keyed alike! They are in plain cardboard boxes of ten or twelve.

Both of my Pelican gun cases have two tabs for locks. Inside, in cutouts in the foam are two extra locks. On my Pelican ammo box is another lock and an extra inside. All these locks are keyed the same and I have an extra key inside my carry on, as well as my keyring. Wife has an extra also.

Come to think of it, my wife's Pelican carry-on size camera case has a keyed alike lock in it, although as carry-on, it isn't used much.

We do use TSA locks on "regular" luggage.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good old fashioned padlocks in every hole

TSA locks are for your other luggage.....not you're rifle

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rphguy
I place a note inside the case on top of the lock package that says "Please use these locks to secure this case if a necessity to cut my locks has occurred."
I keep both sets of keys on my travel key ring. The 2 sets of locks are keyed differently.

This!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I went in 2016, I placed extra locks inside my gun case, just in case. Rules state that you are the only one to have access to your rifles.

When I go back this coming June, I will do the same thing again. But I will review all the rules again, just in case.

TSA locks on all regular luggage.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
That's BS, No TSA locks on Gun case. But you now need a lock in every hole, my pelican has 4 holes. I bought a set of master locks keyed alike.

Or have a rod that secures the holes and the then the rod end secured with a lock. Learned that one the hard way last year. Rules change.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
American Lock Series 1100 1 1/2" are perfect for the Pelican cases.

Do not use TSA lock and if the airline counter agent tells you different politely call BS.
The spare locks inside the case is good advice if you run across a lock cutting idiot.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never use TSA locks on your firearms case!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've always used the brass master locks, they work perfectly.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by rphguy

I did the same. No problems...

They did, however, ruin my pistol case that had my ammo in it with my clothes/suitcase.....

Last edited by nurse; 01/04/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
My gun case has two rods that go through all four latch holes, and are locked by two padlocks at either end of the case. In effect, all holes are locked, but with two padlocks. Is my case still acceptable, or do I need to ditch the rods and padlock all four holes individually? It has never been a problem in the past, but the non-TSA lock regs are also new since the last time I went to Africa- things change with time.

I have the exact same style case. I've been to Africa 4 times and many other places with it w 2 locks on it. I keep 2 spare locks inside. I think you are good to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.