Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Shot a bull this morning with my 6.5-284. Bullet expanded AND exited. Bull was DRT. On a steep hill. Fell on his face and tumbled 20 feet down. I am liking so far. I took some photos but it has been a LONG day packing meat.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good for ya!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great going! Looking forward to pics and specifics. Congrats!

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!! I'm thinking I may give them a whirl in my 260, but haven't had any issue yet with the Scenars so it's not a pressing issue.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
After hunting since the previous Wednesday I shot a small 6x6 on Monday morning. I had passed quite a few bulls up to this point and actually gone home on Sunday. KRP went back up with me on Monday and it was going to be the last day I had any help. The unit I was in is too rough to really hunt solo and find anything that you shoot. I decided I was going to shoot any 6x6 that wasn't broken up. Most of the bulls that I had previously looked over had broken antlers; several had entire main beams broken off. We saw two really big bulls but they were either too far, moving or just not shootable.

I used my 6.5-284 loaded with 143 ELD-X bullets at 2975ish. They shot fantastic at the range so I had the accuracy part down- the terminal performance was the wild card.

The shot I had was uphill and a few small branches partially blocking. I hit the right side chest, bullet exited after double lungs and clipping the bottom of the spine. Bull dropped in his tracks and flipped downhill about 20 feet. The hillside he was on was incredibly steep and covered with Mountain Mohagany, Ceanothus, Manzanita, Oak brush and Algerita as well as the occasional juniper and pinyon pine.

I took about 30 minutes to make the 200 yards from the bottom of the canyon up to the bull. There was no rolling him over or re-positioning him. It was thick and steep. Kent and I packed out both hindquarters the mile and half to the truck and waited for my son to arrive (he worked graveyard shift that night). We then went back for the last load and packed the rest. Besides the steep hillside and canyon full of dead-fall, we had to negotiate 3 travertine waterfalls (dry luckily). We were pretty beat when we got to the truck with the last load.

We had arrived in the dark and with headlamps made our way through a 2 mile+ of manzanitas and wait-a-minute bushes. We finally got to the ponderosa covered hillside and began peeking through the windows in the trees to the mountain across from us. We spotted a bull and moved closer. We finally got to where I could see him good enough to decide he was going to make a lot of work for us that day. I shot him standing at a little over 200 yards as there was no way to see any other position. He dropped at the shot and at 4.5 power I could see it happen- pretty cool actually.

Using radios, I guided Kent once he got to the other side. The bull had fallen about 20 feet down the hill behind some turbinella oak and wasn't visible from my side. I then dropped down and made my way up through the elk trails on the thick side.

[Linked Image]

The bull-finally

[Linked Image]

Packing meat out- first load. arriving at first waterfall

[Linked Image]

Where he was feeding and shot

[Linked Image]

Bottom of waterfall

Last edited by dennisinaz; 12/05/17.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wound photos

[Linked Image]

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congrats Dennis...

great pics and a great story....

Glad Kent had the time to go and help out...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw the pics you sent last night--congratulations! You earned that one.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics and story. Congrats, and thanks for posting good info.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
As others have said, great photos and a great hunting story. There has to be a tremendous amount of satisfaction upon accomplishing the entire task of cleaning & humping it out. Well done.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Dennis. Sounds like that country where you walk on top to the brush rather than through it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on your bull.

Sounds like the 143 worked excellent.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congrats bud....

Sounds like a fun packout....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congrats! Love those exhausting pack outs.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice job, Dennis. Well done.

I'm glad to hear that the 143 gr VLD-Xs do a good job on elk. Someday soon, it may be my last and only rifle.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm glad to see a positive report on the ELD-X bullets. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor several months back and the 143's have shot so well I've never bothered to try anything else, probably won't. Like you my concern how well they would perform on game. I've read several positive reports similar to yours. I've been shooting the 178's in my 308 with good accuracy as well.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dennis, you should have called me if you needed help !

I sat home all day watching Rocky & Bullwinkle...

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Congrats Dennis. Sounds like that country where you walk on top to the brush rather than through it.

Funny you say that. I actually stood on top of the brush below the bull at times while butchering. I stepped through once and was about chest-high to it. Kent had to pull me out!

NRA Benefactor Member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'm glad to see a positive report on the ELD-X bullets. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor several months back and the 143's have shot so well I've never bothered to try anything else, probably won't. Like you my concern how well they would perform on game. I've read several positive reports similar to yours. I've been shooting the 178's in my 308 with good accuracy as well.

The ELDX has performed very well for us this year. Three bucks, three shots, 150 out of a 7mm-08. One bull, 3 shots (he was dead after the first, but if he's standing my nephew is shooting), same load.

162 ELDX 7mm Rem Mag, one buck and two elk, three shots. No complaints.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Congrats. I had a similar uphill shot on my elk this year and had similar results. Left lung was jelly, vertebrae was blown apart. Spined him and killed him at the same time.
This was with a 190gr accubond at about 250 yards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,261
Posts18,448,186
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.