Print Thread
Hop To
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
After too many years away from quail hunting my 13 yo son and I went out with my uncle today. Had a great time. My son shot his first ever quail with the same shotgun with which I shot my first quail. My dad’s Ithaca 37 featherweight 16. To make it even more interesting I was hunting with the same uncle when I got my first quail. Even better, my son enjoyed this style hunting! Stand hunting for deer or turkey bores him to tears.

My dad came across another model 37 in 16 ga a few years ago. It has a longer barrel and full choke where the original is improved cylinder. My youngest son is too small to handle either shotgun but I’d like to set up the other 16 with a barrel more friendly to bird and rabbit and get it ready for him.

Problem is, I’m not sure if it’s easy to find barrels. The shotguns were manufactured in 50 and 53. I did think of having the full choke barrel fit for screw in chokes. I don’t know if that is a viable option. What do you guys think. Is there a decent option available to get this shotgun where I want it to be? Maybe a source for barrels?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cut one down on a nice 30" barrel model 37 I bought real cheap and made it a 21" cylinder bore for quail. Works great in the mesquite thickets for a Quail gun here at the Ranch.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
That might work well. I’ve been surfing the net and it seems that the older models have the barrels specifically matched to the receiver. Since the gun had a lot of light surface rust and was cold blued it really has no value other than as a great field gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You've got a couple of options the way I see it.

1. Install aftermarket screw in chokes from Briley or similar.
2. Google Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing in New York. He was the head smith at Ithaca. He can source you a barrel with an open choke and fit to your receiver. He can also bring it back up to original finish if you want to spend the money.
3. Send barrel to Mike Orlen and open the choke up.
4. Send to Ithaca in Ohio and they'll machine your action to fit the modern barrels (pre 855,000 are the ones that must be fit to each gun)

I'm a huge fan of 37s. Carry so nice. Have a 20 and 16 both from early 50s. 16 took a few pheasants and quail in the Kansas opener a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Cheesy; 11/23/17.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by IZH27
That might work well. I’ve been surfing the net and it seems that the older models have the barrels specifically matched to the receiver. Since the gun had a lot of light surface rust and was cold blued it really has no value other than as a great field gun.

Mike Orlen will cut the existing barrel back, fit it with a screw in choke tube and refit the barrel with a bead sight for a reasonable choice. He can be found on Shotgun Worlds website.
He rarely changes his prices. I believe these are current. Shotgun barrel services offered (screw in choke tube installation, choke adjusting, choke sleeving, chamber and forcing cone lengthening and polishing, jug choking, back boring, porting, rust blueing, stock bending, etc...) and 20% discount (except for shipping charge) to Shotgunworld.com members! michael.orlenverizon.net

http://i.imgur.com/DKhiFTm.jpg

Join Shotgun World for the 20% discount.

IC B2

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the feed back guys.

I was talking to a local guy yesterday. He recommended a gent to cut the barrel back a bit and reset the bead. I’ll go that route first and see how it shoots. If the results aren’t what I expect I’ll get a choke installed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 16 fitted a few years back for choke tubes , think I sent to a guy in California and did a good job. I really love the gun and being able to change the tubes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 50's era 20 ga 37 that I had fitted with screw in chokes, Colonials, I think. Local 'smith did it.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by IZH27

Mike Orlen will cut the existing barrel back, fit it with a screw in choke tube and refit the barrel with a bead sight for a reasonable choice. He can be found on Shotgun Worlds website.
He rarely changes his prices. I believe these are current. Shotgun barrel services offered (screw in choke tube installation, choke adjusting, choke sleeving, chamber and forcing cone lengthening and polishing, jug choking, back boring, porting, rust blueing, stock bending, etc...) and 20% discount (except for shipping charge) to Shotgunworld.com members! michael.orlenverizon.net

http://i.imgur.com/DKhiFTm.jpg

Join Shotgun World for the 20% discount.

After getting quite a few barrels done by Mike Orlen I will never have him do another!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.